Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne+Tulse Hill - moving there advice

IMO The roads between Effra and Railton are ideal - especially the parallel ones - Rattray, Dalberg etc. And then again a bit further down, off Railton - Mayall Rd and 'Poets Corner' (shudder) - I miss living in that slice of Brixton.
Close enough for all the Brixton-ness (the Rity is SO much better than that horrible cinema in Holoway Rd!) , v close to Brockwell Park and the bakeries and fisheries of H Hill and ideally placed betwn the tube and the H Hill station.

Though Tulse Hill does have more and faster trains than H Hill.

Of the Streatham Wasteland, Streatham Hill is nice, calm and very civillised and there are good transport connections, too.

Plenty of accom in the Brockwell Gate development. Sits between Tuleshill, Brixton and Herne Hill. Only downside is the dirty local authority estate over the road and the drug dealers outside a place called Lick Finger on Effra rd. Love it tho!

Lick Finger serves great food though.

And the estate opposite Brockwell Gate ain't that bad. Nice enough apartments inside, with some decent on-site play and recycling facilities. Not particularly pretty, but a development of that size never was going to be.

They are tempted to go for stockwell cos its close to tube, but sounds a bit built up?

Stockwell like most areas does have its good bits and also its bad bits - theres not really much to Stockwell (by which I mean the 1mile or so around the tube station) but its very well located close to Brixton/Clapham/central London. It is a bit built up but there are nice parks around. If you go a bit further up South Lambeth Road there are reasonable restaurants and one or two nice pubs (and the mighty Swan!) but it does feel a bit of a passing through place.

On another note have you thought about Camberwell - if you live in the bit below Camberwell New Road you are 10-15 minutes walk to Oval tube, a similar walk to Brixton or Stockwell and also you can get trains at Loughborough Junction or Denmark Hill.

Buses from Camberwell Green are also good - less than 20 mins to most bits of central London. This is especially good for night buses as lots of routes go via Camberwell Green so its never too long to wait. Its got a good number of bars and restaurants around Camberwell Church St and the art college students give it a good vibe, it also has good parks like Myatts Field, Ruskin Park, Burgess Park and its good for Brixton, Clapham, Dulwich/ other bits of South and central London etc.

Intense....hmm. well, i must be talking about all the gun-toting muthafuckers. Or possibly the busy roads, grumpy commuters rushing to the tube, the orgy of consumption in the high street, piss artists on sat night and general din of noise which all play with my middle-class sensibilities.... fuck it, im off to herne hill - organic cafe's and a pint of bitter in a pub garden... see you in a week and thanks for the advice everyone

Gun-toting muthafuckers? Orgies of consumption? Are you taking the piss?:D:rolleyes:

Plenty of accom in the Brockwell Gate development. Sits between Tuleshill, Brixton and Herne Hill. Only downside is the dirty local authority estate over the road and the drug dealers outside a place called Lick Finger on Effra rd. Love it tho!

I live on that estate - which has a name - the Tulse Hill Estate. It is actually split between both sides of the road so we are also next door to Brockwell Gate as well as opposite. I have also been inside flats in Brockwell Gate and can tell you that the LA flats are of a much better quality - thicker walls, better soundproofing etc. There are a lot of very nice people who live on the Tulse Hill Estate and there's quite a strong sense of community - some days it's hard to make it into the park if loads of people are outside and I have to keep stopping for a chat - so it's a bit insulting really to have my home be described as a "downside".

Lick Finger is actually on Tulse Hill not Effra Road and the guys outside are not all drug dealers although I think it's fair to say that there is that kind of activity going on (with the police periodically breaking it up). Some of those guys are my neighbours - hanging out on the street doesn't automatically make you a drug dealer.

Im going on what the community neighbourhood watch panel told me when I joined. Gangs round here wear grey and deal drugs around lick finger. I sure dont like to walk by it getting eyed up and down by a gang of yoots.

I didnt mention build quality of flats not sure why you felt the need too. I mentioned the massive local authority estate over the road from where I live and the cliches/stereotypes I have came to from that. Sure I am tarring a whole estate..but..

Im sure lots of people do. We get updated by Neighbourhood watch about what to look out for...still havent seen any ladies of the night yet!

Like the rest of Brixton, theres some fckin dregs around here. ITs hard to see the nice people shine through if you arent part of the local community. Which I admit I havent been since I joined this area. hot damn I love the park tho. tulse hill, effra rd,. whatever, you know what I meant :p you have put on your captain obvious to reply to my post havent you.

I mentioned the massive local authority estate over the road from where I live and the cliches/stereotypes I have came to from that. Sure I am tarring a whole estate..but...

Well, maybe try to avoid cliches and sterotypes and tarring a whole estate then... especially given what you go on to say....

ITs hard to see the nice people shine through if you arent part of the local community. Which I admit I havent been since I joined this area. ...

Well, you'll find that's a common criticism of gated "communities". I deliver the magazines in this area for people who are members of "Friends of Brockwell Park". I deliver quite a number to residents of the Tulse Hill Estate and the Cressingham estate (by Tesco's) - but not a single copy to Brockwell Gate. Since you love the park so much perhaps you could consider joining up and getting to know some of the people in the area and maybe you might feel less inclined to resort to the cliches and stereotypes you admit to.

as for...

you have put on your captain obvious to reply to my post havent you.

Sorry... I don't understand what this means. :confused:

I don't particularly want to get into some kind of bunfight - I don't particularly like to get involved in conflict online (or in life) but I do think that you might just want to stop and think a bit though before writing off other people's homes as "dirty" and a "downside".

On a lighter note - I guess I should throw out all my grey clothing as someone who is very often in the area around Lick Finger I hadn't realised I have been wearing some kind of gang uniform... :p

ETA: I have thought about this and it is possible that someone on Brockwell Gate delivers the Friends magazine within the estate so there may well be members there too - I would still urge you however to get more involved locally and discover that there are some great people on your neighbouring estates!

Also eta - I had a chuckle on the way home this evening counting people wearing grey - the guy a few doors up in his 80s pushing his shopping trolley wearing grey pants and a grey jacket, a bunch of young, quite loud boys - but it was their school uniform. There's a grey cat a few doors up that I'm not too sure about though... (actually I made that last bit up). Luckily despite the preponderence of grey I managed to avoid getting caught in any kind of gang warfare crossfire!!

Back
Top Bottom