Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne+Tulse Hill - moving there advice

noriise

Hi...

Thinking about moving to these hills or west dulwich from holloway. looking for quieter and cheaper living.

only probs my two house mates need to get into central london and are bumming out at the idea of buses. Can anyone who knows the area let me know how hard it is to get to euston from these places? do they just get a 10min bus to brixton then ride the tubes?

also... anywhere anyone recommends as a nice place to live but cheap?

cheers

ell

Herne Hill ain't terribly cheap ime is all I say. Unless it's on the Loughborough junction side and the estate agents are being slightly deceptive.

Herne and Tulse Hill are ok if you bus it to Brixton and the tube generally, but it's also worth checking out the train services.

Thameslink goes through tulse and herne hill, which will take you straight to Kings X. Walk or tube to euston. Runs every 10-ish minutes in rush hour.

Hi...

Thinking about moving to these hills or west dulwich from holloway. looking for quieter and cheaper living.

only probs my two house mates need to get into central london and are bumming out at the idea of buses. Can anyone who knows the area let me know how hard it is to get to euston from these places? do they just get a 10min bus to brixton then ride the tubes?

also... anywhere anyone recommends as a nice place to live but cheap?

cheers

ell

They're all lovely areas, I used to live in West Dulwich. Your options for Kings Cross are (as has been said) direct train to Kings Cross and then walk or tube to Euston, or train to Victoria, change onto Victoria line and get that up there.

Some of the bes transport links around, between Herne Hill and Tulse Hill.

Far better than North London - you'll be amazed at how much you chill out.

You want quiet in South London. Everything else may be quiet but they better get used to the sound of sirens :D

Also planes if you're thinking Dulwich.

At the moment the fucking things are flying over every few minutes, making far too much noise and messing up my freeview reception.

*mutters*

They're all lovely areas, I used to live in West Dulwich. Your options for Kings Cross are (as has been said) direct train to Kings Cross and then walk or tube to Euston, or train to Victoria, change onto Victoria line and get that up there.

Some of the bes transport links around, between Herne Hill and Tulse Hill.

Far better than North London - you'll be amazed at how much you chill out.

Plus Herne Hill north on the train is really fast - 22 minutes to St. Pancreas (which is slightly closer to Euston than King's Cross).

Mrs Bob does the HH - Farringdon commute everyday - that's barely more than 10 minutes on the train.

Buses to Brixton are not bad too - there are 4 from HH - so you never wait more than a minute or two at commuting times. Then it's 4-5 minutes to Brixton and about 20 minutes up to Euston - so a total of about 30 minutes.

Mrs Bob does the HH - Farringdon commute everyday - that's barely more than 10 minutes on the train.

Wowsers. That's probably better than the tube for me, even if I walk to HH.

Oooh lies! I check the timetable and HH-Farringdon is 20 minutes in the morning!

i lived in West Dulwich.

cheaper than Herne Hill and if you are near the station it's fine for transport. no tube obviously but as others have said HH is well connected and easy to get too. plenty of trains in the morning to get there from WD.

try Wates letting agents, they seem to get the rentals for Dulwich Estates, who were our landlords. forgot to put the rent up first two years and fixed anything rapidly. rent was cheap as well.

eta - i used to commute from West Dulwich to Highbury and Islington every day. I got the train at 8.31 or 8.35 from West Dulwich to Brixton, walked round the corner to the Tube and was at my desk having grabbed a coffee by 9.15 or so. Euston will be less.

And you get a seat on the tube.

I've lived in Herne Hill for a few years, and I really like it. Transport links to Euston are pretty good - the Thameslink goes to St Pancras in 20-odd minutes as has been said.

It's really not that expensive tbh, at least as far as rent goes - I use to pay £325 a month for a room in a shared house near the station (left about 18 months ago.) I don't think it's a great deal more expensive than Brixton to rent. Not so many cheap shops though

thanks for the advice

finding it hard to convince the others the merits of tulse/dulwich...

They are tempted to go for stockwell cos its close to tube, but sounds a bit built up?

god save me from looking up anymore bloody houses on skumtree.

Herne Hill is nice; good shops, pubs, transport links and of course the park- but it might turn up to be too pricey.

Tulse Hill is alright, only one decent pub and not great shops, but cheaper than HH. And only about 12-15 min. walk to HH.

Tulse Hill overland trains:

15 mins to Blackfriars
25 mins to Farringdon
27 mins to Kings X
15 mins to Victoria (if you get the right Thameslink into HH)
20 mins to London Bridge, 25 to Waterloo/Charing X
10-20 mins on the bus to Brixton where you can get the tube.

As T&P says, it's a bit limited on decent pubs, but I've lived in Tulse Hill for 8 years now and I love it. There are some really decent and cheap rentals around here as well (lots of Edwardian conversions esp).

looking at a place on a small in-road way closer to brixton now... between effra and railton road. hadnt anticipated living this close, but its near the park and herne hill.... is it still chilled here or a bit more intense cos close to brixton?

cheers

What the hell does intense mean. To be fair, most of central Brixton's fairly quiet and residential these days, with the possible exception of Rushcroft and a couple of the estates .

I wouldn't say that there's a huge difference between living in central Brixton, TH or HH if I'm honest, transport links aside. Yep, Herne Hill's definitely 3-wheel pram and gastropub territory in the main now, but in terms of living there I'm not sure there's a huge difference. In every case check the immediate surrounds of the flat/house and assess it from that point - living above half moon junction in HH is going to be no quieter than anywhere in Brixton and equally parts of HH/TH can feel just as menacing as the more central areas.

Intense....hmm. well, i must be talking about all the gun-toting muthafuckers. Or possibly the busy roads, grumpy commuters rushing to the tube, the orgy of consumption in the high street, piss artists on sat night and general din of noise which all play with my middle-class sensibilities.... fuck it, im off to herne hill - organic cafe's and a pint of bitter in a pub garden... see you in a week and thanks for the advice everyone

Those roads between effra and railton are all nice places to live. Should be fine, from an intensity point of view. You're near to a bunch of urbanite houses too, so watch out for the tentacles!

The Saltoun Triangle's where I've lived for about the last 10 years. It's actually surprisingly quiet, yet has enough life around to feel safe at all hours.

I'd actually say it feels safer and generally quieter than some of the more obvious Herne Hill locations, even the posh Poets Corner address I lived in for a little while. The traffic noise off Dulwich Road can be quite offputting, and a lot of the side streets feel darker and more isolated.

Back
Top Bottom