Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

help please! something weird has hijacked (?) my search engine

bimble

floofy
I don't know what is going on. When i use google search as usual (in chrome) i get redirected via something really odd to end up on what looks like a yahoo search.
Think it's only been since yesterday but have been away.

In preferences in chrome i have found this weird thing is now set as my default search engine:
Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 11.20.58.png

I cant delete it, the three little dots on the right there are not responsive.

WTF is this - Any advice please on how to make it stop?
:confused:

I don't know what is going on. When i use google search as usual (in chrome) i get redirected via something really odd to end up on what looks like a yahoo search.
Think it's only been since yesterday but have been away.

In preferences in chrome i have found this weird thing is now set as my default search engine:
View attachment 200300

I cant delete it, the three little dots on the right there are not responsive.

WTF is this - Any advice please on how to make it stop?
:confused:

Have tried the things it advises there (but i'm trying to fix chrome) and also tried resetting everything in chrome but has not yet worked. really annoying.

you could try:
1.look for it in in programmes and uninstall it
2. download malware bytes , run scan and quarantine it “
3.Chrome’s menu button, rits three horizontal lines. When the drop-down menu appears, select the option labeled “Settings“. Click advanced , go to “Reset and clean up, then Reset settings to their original defaults

Last edited:
Similar thing happened to me a while ago, there were three places you need to reset the default page address too (that was Firefox though), or it kept reinstalling itself.

It's a sneaky fucker that must have installed itself when you added some software. It seems to affect Macs too.

Try this:

In my case the cleaners were essential before and after but in between I think you'll need to find where it's changing the default search engine settings.

The thing that’s now hopefully going to rescue me? Was in Ed’s link I think . Def seems legit.
says it’s found 3 viruses (red writing!) so far..
Ah, so you're on a Mac? I normally don't recommend buying that kind of software, but if it gets the job done with minimum faff, then it's probably worth it.

Yep, mac. This cleaning thing it’s saying it’s only 1% through scanning and has found 6 virus type red things already :facepalm:
This day is not going very well so far and I have to drive to Dunstable now which is not likely to improve matters.

Combo Cleaner is a dishonest product. I downloaded the free version and ran it. It ran for 2 days, slowing my system down significantly, and identified 24 potential virus threats. When I clicked on the link to list the threats, it informed me that I must upgrade to the premium version to view the threats.
They advertised that their software could remove an annoying popup on my newly-installed Catalina Mac. Every couple of minutes I got a popup telling me I possibly had a virus and said "navlibx" was the culprit, which Combo Clean said their software could fix. In short, it did nothing of the sort.
Combo cleaner is a scam. took almost 24 hrs to scan to find 11 possible infected sights. To clean the sight you need to upgrade to premium which is 49.95. As you can see from other reviews the amount they charge is different. Don't know why but my bank declined the charges from this co. and froze my account until I called them to see why my account was frozen (they thought the charges seemed suspicious). My thought is that the bank must of had a lot of complaints from this co.

can you do that thing when you just roll back & restore your system as it was say last week ? As a totally grug-brained windows user that seems to have got me out of quite a few weird virus-like afflictions that I've managed to contract over the years

but it worked though ! Came back to computer pressed remove threats on this combo cleaner thing , restarted and the problem has gone away (is back to normal and no sign of the dodgy thing in my search engines).

but it worked though ! Came back to computer pressed remove threats on this combo cleaner thing , restarted and the problem has gone away (is back to normal and no sign of the dodgy thing in my search engines).
Phew. I should apologise for adding that link - I assumed you had a PC and that link had info on how to remove it for free from PCs.

Back
Top Bottom