Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

HELP! Phone is knackered and I'm useless at this sort of thing

planetgeli

There's no future in England's dreaming
Quickly, coz I have to go out to work.

Totally reliant on my phone. I know nothing about phones. Battery is on last legs. So I need a new second hand phone that I can keep my number on (this is crucial - I have a cancer test result coming by phone on my number next Wednesday. I need to keep the number.)

I have a micro sim. I'm on a cheap contract with O2.

What do I need to do?

The battery is still working but taking forever to charge. It went down to 13%. Charged it, was on 24 when I went out. 2 hours later it was still on 24. Unplugged it, charged again. Now on 61%.

The battery is still working but taking forever to charge. It went down to 13%. Charged it, was on 24 when I went out. 2 hours later it was still on 24. Unplugged it, charged again. Now on 61%.
You might just need a new charger cable especially if it's mini USB. The connection on those dies quite frequently.

You might just need a new charger cable especially if it's mini USB. The connection on those dies quite frequently.

It is an old phone samsung galaxy 7. Had a new battery last year with 12 months guarantee. Literally the guarantee runs out today. Pretty sure I need a new(ish) phone.

It is an old phone samsung galaxy 7. Had a new battery last year with 12 months guarantee. Literally the guarantee runs out today. Pretty sure I need a new(ish) phone.
if you walk into a phone shop might be worth asking if they can replace the battery. will be lots cheaper than buying a new phone.

copy your numbers anyway, for future hiccups.

The charger might be have dust, etc in it - I took mine to a phone bloke and he cleaned it out (for a small fee) - battery charging was much quicker afterwards - I guess you could look at youtube on how to do this - I couldn't be arsed :D

If it's an android phone (sounds like it) it's pretty much guaranteed that your contacts are on your Google account. No need to mess around copying them. When you put your Google account into the new phone they should appear

The absolutely crucial thing is that you know your Google account name and password... So many people I've helped out have come a cropper at this point.

If it's an android phone (sounds like it) it's pretty much guaranteed that your contacts are on your Google account. No need to mess around copying them. When you put your Google account into the new phone they should appear

The absolutely crucial thing is that you know your Google account name and password... So many people I've helped out have come a cropper at this point.

Account name would just be email and password no?

Yep. Your android login is your Google email address and password. You might find you get on with one of the budget Samson phones rather than an old galaxy. Where the battery life is always going to be an issue. The budget will still use the one UI interface so it should look reasonably familiar. I can’t think of a exact models, they confuse me.

I’m not 100% as I use an iPhone but I think you can probably log into your Google account online and check your contacts are there. Before switching to a new phone.

This does assume you've given Google permission to backup your phone including contacts, right?
I assume that's "on" by default but worth checking on the old phone, while it's still alive.

Whenever I’ve had iPhone charging issues (which tends to happen at some point with every phone) it’s because compressed fluff is in the phone port which needs dislodging with something thin enough to get in there. I find a paper clip reimagined into a straighter thing is best.

When I changed phones I transferred the contacts from the phone to the sim card, then inserted the sim card into the new phone and it worked perfectly.

When I add a new contact now, it asks if I want it stored on the sim card. I don't know if there is a limit to how many contacts the sim card will hold.

I know some people may have privacy concerns but having it all stored in the cloud is far easier - and is generally the default so unless you've gone to the trouble of turning it off there's really no need to worry about putting them in your SIM.

Quickly, coz I have to go out to work.

Totally reliant on my phone. I know nothing about phones. Battery is on last legs. So I need a new second hand phone that I can keep my number on (this is crucial - I have a cancer test result coming by phone on my number next Wednesday. I need to keep the number.)

I have a micro sim. I'm on a cheap contract with O2.

What do I need to do?
How did it go?

Back
Top Bottom