Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help - Netflix, Amazon without going via Freeview

BigMoaner

What A Load of Old Bollocks
This is doing my head in somewhat.

I have chosen this year to not buy a TV license.

I have the full broadband set up but I notice to get to Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, which my kids love, i have to go via Freeview, and when it's on a channel, then I choose Apps > Netflix, etc. This is how I get to Netflix. So there is a brief period of a few seconds where I am on a live TV channel.

I am paranoid that this is breaking the law in regards the licence fee.

So is there a way I can get to netflix without having to go via the freeview channels? I turn the telly on and it instantly goes to teh free view channels.

Many thanks if you can help

You are required by law to buy a TV licence if you watch ANY live tv channels. Not just BBC ones. If you only stream stuff, you aren't.

Not sure how they can tell what you're watching though.

This is doing my head in somewhat.

I have chosen this year to not buy a TV license.

I have the full broadband set up but I notice to get to Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, which my kids love, i have to go via Freeview, and when it's on a channel, then I choose Apps > Netflix, etc. This is how I get to Netflix. So there is a brief period of a few seconds where I am on a live TV channel.

So is there a way I can get to netflix without having to go via the freeview channels? I turn the telly on and it instantly goes to teh free view channels.

Many thanks if you can help
unplug the aerial. It will try to find a channel but you should be able to get to the apps page before it realises there is nothing there.

You are required by law to buy a TV licence if you watch ANY live tv channels. Not just BBC ones. If you only stream stuff, you aren't.

Not sure how they can tell what you're watching though.
I thought you had to get one if whatever devices you watch on are capable of receiving live transmissions, regardless of whether you watch them. So if you only watch iplayer, you would still have to fork out for a licence

I thought you had to get one if whatever devices you watch on are capable of receiving live transmissions, regardless of whether you watch them. So if you only watch iplayer, you would still have to fork out for a licence
You only need a licence if you watch broadcast TV as it is transmitted, or access iPlayer (excluding S4C) or BBC Sounds. Video-on-demand services (except iPlayer) are excluded.

Edited to remove factual error

Last edited:
You only need a licence if you watch broadcast TV as it is transmitted, or access iPlayer (excluding S4C) or BBC Sounds. Video-on-demand services (except iPlayer) are excluded.
BBC Sounds is just radio though, so why would you need a tv licence for it?

where’s a freeman of the land loon when you need one.

Thanks all will prob either by a license or go the fire stick route

Has this been kept on for rural areas with no cable or something?

I'm in Newham ie. really built up area of East London, and our road doesn't have cable.
I get freeview via a communal block aerial attached to the roof of the block.

The fastest internet download speed I can get is 30mbps an all, and that's BT's fibre to the cabinet.

I'm hoping Community Fibre comes here and puts in proper fibre to our home down our road.

Aye, didnt realise people still had aerials as I’d assumed they’d stopped broadcasting analogue transmissions about a decade ago

2. An aerial. To get Freeview, you need an aerial in good condition, pointing in the right direction towards a transmitter. While indoor (loft or portable) aerials may pick up Freeview, for best results we recommend a roof aerial.

Back
Top Bottom