Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Heat Pump, anyone?

mx wcfc

Our boiler has been playing up, so had it serviced this morning. Five or six hundred quid to fix it properly. It's at least 15 years old so probably time for a new one, and it seems we should have a look at heat pumps.

I'm doing the googling research, but has anyone on here had a heat pump fitted? Any good? Recommendations?

I'd probably get solar panels at the same time, to offset the extra electricity costs, but we've put that off before, due to duff roofs.

There's a good thread worth reading here:

A great deal of the value is in how well insulated your home is. And keep in mind that breakdown cover may not be included from your home insurer

There's a good thread worth reading here:

Thanks - I did do a search - not sure why that thread didn't appear - I'll have a read through.

In other news, my googling has revealed that they are bigger than I thought and, due to doors, drainage pipes, etc, there's nowhere I can put one!

I recently got a portable (haha) heat pump - they have a pipe (two pipes are better though) to expel the air through a sash window that you get a kit to fit to. I'm quite impressed, mine is only 2 kW heat for 1 kW electrical input but it warms the room up nicely. Quite loud so you don't really want to be in the same room when it's on but I use it to heat the room up before I go in. Also pulls out a lot of water so I'm planning to use it as a dehumidifier in summer.

A major factor will be whether your old boiler was a combi or not. Heat pumps can't do on-demand HW, so if you've a combi you'll need to find space for a HW tank as well for a heat pump system.

Back
Top Bottom