Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Have you had a lot of garden plants die this winter?

ska invita

back on the other side
I have lost a palm tree i planted, was young but established, maybe 5 or 6 years old, lost another purple palm that was here before me, probably 30 years old, lost two different border shrubs i dont know the names off, and it looks like a well established jasmine might have had it - certainly looks dead, but they can come back in June I once experienced. No sign of life yet....

thats about 60% of the plants in my garden!

I was quite happy to read this
which suggests lots of people have had this die off this year

whats weird to me is, yes there was a very hot summer, but the plants all made it through that ok I thought, and winter wasnt that cold here in london...i remember one frost.

From that article

Gardeners are being urged to grow plants that can cope with extreme heat and cold after the Royal Horticultural Society was bombarded with letters from members asking why species they had cultivated successfully for years were now dying.

“It seems to be because of the temperature fluctuations,” said Nikki Barker, a senior horticultural adviser at the RHS. “We’ve gone from severe drought with an initially very mild autumn that turned cold. It’s the combination of weather patterns rather than one single event. And plants find it hard to deal with that fluctuation.”

This year has seen the driest February in England for 30 years, according to the Met Office, while March was the wettest for 40 years. April so far has had conditions ranging from lower than average temperatures to severe wind warnings. But late last week forecasters were finally predicting an improvement, with the temperature tipped to reach 21C in the capital over the bank holiday weekend.

Yeah, dahlias that have been fine in the ground in previous winters look like they're done for. All my citrus trees in the unheated greenhouse look dead. They might come back but I'd expect some signs by now. Some of my jazzy delphiniums aren't showing yet which is a worry.

Oh, and my lawns front and back are a mess, but less due to the weather than builders deciding that lawns are where piles of rubble get dumped.

There is somethong to be said for planting "native" plants...I dont really know what is native to south london , I get the feeling garden centres dont really sell them. I nicked a little fern from the countryside once and thats really happy and has had three babies. I love ferns.

I've lost quite a few plants, including a lot of house plants over the past 18months.
I don't grow many exotics, preferring native plants, but even some of those have suffered - including the naturalised fuchsia by the back door.

Causes ? The heatwave stressed some of them, which was made worse by the wind and frosty winter weather and a cold, wet spring.
As for the potted items, I suspect I've had some contaminated potting compost.

Grass is a mess, as well, for several reasons, but largely very soft ground.

Plus, we had an invasion of stray goats ... which didn't help some of the shrubs ! as they had a good nibble until we dumped a supply of hay / straw out for them.

Tree fern - I stuffed some pillow fibre in the crown ... though it had been suffering for ages - I'd had it long enough for it to be hit by previous cold winters.... it solves a dilemma for me in terms of offering it to someone when I move...
Abyssinian banana - didn't chop it down and dry it off quickly enough - sad about that - was hoping to have a good show in the front garden as a final flourish and I don't feel inclined to shell out for another...

lavender
pelargoniums

I'm hoping at least one or two of my brugmansias survived indoors.

I often lose my fuchsias so have ordered more
Probably lost all my begonias - ditto

What has surprised me is that I lost a massive passiflora a few years back with its roots in the greenhouse whereas there are several near me - albeit on walls that made it through.

Quite a few choisyas near me look a little sad

I've lost a lot of plants in my garden and I'm sure it's down to the multiple extremes over a relatively short period of time. Some went in the extreme heat and drought but others were probably stressed from that so the extreme wet which followed later in the year followed by a few very cold nights finished others off.

There are inconsistencies though and that's most likely down to the various micro-climates in my garden. Most of my garden is very free draining (on chalk) but there are areas where the water collects if it rains heavily. Most of it's exposed (I'm on a hill with little tree cover) so gets the full heat of the sun but also suffers if there's strong cold winds.

I've tried to grow more drought-tolerant plants and it's the less drought-tolerant ones which suffered in the heat but I've also grown some other plants which don't like the temperature dropping below -5°C especially mixed with the wet and it's those that suffered over the winter.

I'm still holding out hope for some that look dead - cordylines, pittosporum, salvias, half-hardy fuchsias and hebes. Although the tops of the cordylines, salvias and half-hardy fuchsias will often die off they will also often grow back from the root ball.

There is somethong to be said for planting "native" plants...I dont really know what is native to south london , I get the feeling garden centres dont really sell them. I nicked a little fern from the countryside once and thats really happy and has had three babies. I love ferns.
Ferns are rampant where I live,got to keep them under control or they take over.

Tree fern - I stuffed some pillow fibre in the crown ... though it had been suffering for ages - I'd had it long enough for it to be hit by previous cold winters.... it solves a dilemma for me in terms of offering it to someone when I move...
Abyssinian banana - didn't chop it down and dry it off quickly enough - sad about that - was hoping to have a good show in the front garden as a final flourish and I don't feel inclined to shell out for another...

lavender
pelargoniums

I'm hoping at least one or two of my brugmansias survived indoors.

I often lose my fuchsias so have ordered more
Probably lost all my begonias - ditto

What has surprised me is that I lost a massive passiflora a few years back with its roots in the greenhouse whereas there are several near me - albeit on walls that made it through.

Quite a few choisyas near me look a little sad
Most of my lavender has survived and is thriving except for my lavender hedge in the gravel garden. Even before the weather events of the last year it was suffering and I think I've worked out why. The gravel garden was effectively a solid slab of chalk with 2 or 3 cms of poor topsoil on it. I used a cold chisel to create troughs for the lavender hedge along the front and the beech hedge on one side. When it rains heavily the water collects in these troughs. That's good for the beech hedge but not for the lavender. I also cut out a central bed which had amongst other things, dianthus (pinks) and tulips, and none of those are looking good either.

It's time for a rethink. I've taken out the lavender hedge and it's going to be a mix of bearded iris, verbena bonariensis, stipa tennuissima, poppies and cornflowers which are all plants which grow well and spread elsewhere in my garden.

Not myself that I know but here in the West Mids I’m seeing lots of dead palm trees. I moved to my house Jan 2021 & it was snowing & from back bedroom I saw a palm tree with snow on it. That palm tree is no more. My other neighbour across the road have lost theirs too & a whole back section of plants.

No but I've had a fucking terrible time getting veg started this spring.
I hear plants need sun. There's not been much of it. Also cold nights.

I lost a bunch of plants this winter too, including a passionflower that thrived in last summer's conditions but couldn't cope with the length of the winter.

No but I've had a fucking terrible time getting veg started this spring.
Christ, yeah. Getting them germinated hasn't been too bad, but then they just seem to stall. Brassicas which I normally cock up are okay but chillies and zucchini/squash have been quite mardy. I've been moving stuff from greenhouse to indoors and back out again every few days when it's cold. My lettuces haven't grown a mm for 3 weeks.

Don't forget we had heavy snow much earlier than usual. I think I've only lost one thing though, just a geranium that usually makes it through but you wouldn't necessarily expect them to survive winter outdoors.

Yep - 2 huge and floriferous agapanthus, coronilla, all my scented leaf geraniums and 3 species pelargoniums including the gorgeous p.ardens, 2 agaves, all the hesperaloes, watsonia and my beloved euphorbia ceratocarpa. Drought all summer, rain all autumn then a freezy spell did for bloody loads of stuff (cos I have been complacent). Various salvias bit the dust but not, annoyingly, the mighty s,involucrata which escaped the beds and invaded my greenhouse last year. The guaranticas are toast though.
Bought a shitload of seeds for future drought (talinums, lewisias, hedysarum, bigelowia, and a load of umbellifers but they won't be doing much till next year.

To my utmost joy, I have the first blooms on some species paeonies I have been growing for 5 years!

Any thoughts for native species to plant in South London? Things that require zero care and are hardy. I don't know what the soil is but it's not chalk

Lost a few echiums, some cannas (managed to get some in), a ceanothus, a rosemary and nearly a sage. There's a tree fern looking a bit sorry for itself, plus an elm that lost its leaves in the summer and doesn't have any buds, so I'm gonna have to find a way of taking it down - at least there'll be some firewood.

A pretty shit winter all in all.

I've seen Taraxacum officinalis thrive in South London.

All good and as usual here. The previous owners knew about plants and left us with a healthy, predictable garden. Even the small olive tree I planted a few years ago, thinking it would never thrive, is indeed doing well and it's over 6foot tall now.

My cordyline looks really poorly.
Went to visit my Mum and hers looks like it's rotten from the inside and lost all its leaves. All red ones I've seen look like they've suffered but the few green ones I've seen look in much better shape. Maybe they were more sheltered.

~8 year old Lavender and Escallonia seem to have died.

The tulips on the other hand have doubled in number since last year and have been flowering for over 3 weeks so far.
Some years ago I planted a pack of hyacinths. They all got eaten except for one which thrived and produce 10 new bulbs until this winter when it's died. :(

We've lost a big fern in our garden, it looks like it just broke in the winds during winter, its totally flat.

I had a prod today and there may actually be a new frond deep in the crown of my tree fern, but I sawed the top off anyway and stuck it in a pot and gave it a good soak.
It'll be easier to get it through the house and give away as a small plant in the unlikely event it takes off ... after this last year in my front garden ...and hopefully if it does, it will do better as a shorter plant. It got whacked by the heat last year and then the freeze ...

I don't have a garden, but my parents had a real issue last year with deer eating their plants - their back garden is next to fields and woods so they relocated all their rose bushes to the front garden where deer are less likely to go (because they'd have to go round the house and nearer the road, they don't go there so much).

I wish I had a garden problem to worry about :D

Went to visit my Mum and hers looks like it's rotten from the inside and lost all its leaves. All red ones I've seen look like they've suffered but the few green ones I've seen look in much better shape. Maybe they were more sheltered.
Lost both my potted ones. Red Stars. Leaves flopped after the big freeze of over a week in December where it got down to -9 then it got windy a week or so later and they all blew off. Had spongy trunks which I tried cutting back but no sign of life. :(

The ground is still cold for this time of year so a lot of plants are running late & slow growing. Know the sun has finally made ab appearance hopefully that will change. :thumbs:

My mums died straight after the cold snap. As I drive around I look at other peoples cordylines and I haven't seen one that has survived.

They might come back though. I have removed all the leaves and cut the soggy top of the trunk off, down to live wood. Even as just a 4 foot bare trunk sticking out of the ground it still looks ok, gives a bit of structure.

I don't have a garden, but my parents had a real issue last year with deer eating their plants - their back garden is next to fields and woods so they relocated all their rose bushes to the front garden where deer are less likely to go (because they'd have to go round the house and nearer the road, they don't go there so much).

I wish I had a garden problem to worry about :D
suggest they plant geraniums/lavendar/rosemary along the field border, deer don't like plants that smell apparently, they should do a wee search if they don't fancy any of those plants. One of my neighbours had a deer munch some of his plants last year, they don't come into my garden due to the geraniums and lavendar.

Dead cordylines is good news surely? Horrible things with huge taproot that make removal a job and a half. One that the previous owner of this house left in the garden kept trying to come back for years after I thought I'd killed it.

suggest they plant geraniums/lavendar/rosemary along the field border, deer don't like plants that smell apparently, they should do a wee search if they don't fancy any of those plants. One of my neighbours had a deer munch some of his plants last year, they don't come into my garden due to the geraniums and lavendar.

Yep there were some useful posts on here about it a couple of years ago and I gave them that info and they've done that with the above plants - relocated their rosemary and lavender to the end where the garden borders the field - I think also foxgloves they aren't keen on iirc.
But yeah big garden rearrangement was had :)
Very grateful to Urban for all the info I found, absolute wealth of knowledge here :)

Back
Top Bottom