Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Has anyone run LED Strips of a USB powerbank?

sim667

All aboard the 303 bus.
I tested this last night with some LED strips I've got stuck to the back of my TV and a 20,000mah powerbank.

I didn't test it for long, mainly to make sure it worked, but was wondering if anyone had done it for longer periods? If so how long will a powerbank like that run the lights for? I'm thinking about installing them in my campervan so I can have remote controlled LED lighting, without having to drain the leisure battery more and without constantly having to buy new AA batteries. Really most of my trips are 4-5 days at most before I can charge stuff up and I'd only be using them in the evenings.

I'm thinking a strip like this -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071WPSS67/?coliid=I3VYHKW6U7S3R2&colid=3KAF8ZV95UTPL&psc=0

Last edited:
I doubt a power bank would last very long.
(single) LEDs don't use a lot of power, but a lot of them do.
Get the spec of your LEDs, count how many LEDs you have and calculate the necessary power supply.

I tested this last night with some LED strips I've got stuck to the back of my TV and a 20,000mah powerbank.

I didn't test it for long, mainly to make sure it worked, but was wondering if anyone had done it for longer periods? If so how long will a powerbank like that run the lights for? I'm thinking about installing them in my campervan so I can have remote controlled LED lighting, without having to drain the leisure battery more and without constantly having to buy new AA batteries. Really most of my trips are 4-5 days at most before I can charge stuff up and I'd only be using them in the evenings.

I'm thinking a strip like this -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071WPSS67/?coliid=I3VYHKW6U7S3R2&colid=3KAF8ZV95UTPL&psc=0
that link says they eat 1amp.
and your pack is a 20amp hours....
so, erm, 20 hours?

20 hours is doable I guess..... 5 hours a day for 4 days.

I guess the less bright you have them the less power they'd eat, right?
should do.

I wouldn't expect the battery pack to deliver 100% of the power it holds... Not sure what ratio though.
Maybe spend another £30 on a spare?

Just realised my colleague is an ex sparkey, so asked him to look, reckons about 18 hours. So not super bad. For £25 ish it should work nicely. Might order some LED lights to try then

I tried using a simple usb light from ikea (£2) on a power bank.
JANSJÖ LED USB lamp Black - IKEA

It works for 30 seconds then turns off. Something to do with communication between power bank and device I was told. A pity as it would have been really useful for camping trips where I have the power bank for charging phone anyway.

*watches thread for ideas*

I tried using a simple usb light from ikea (£2) on a power bank.
JANSJÖ LED USB lamp Black - IKEA

It works for 30 seconds then turns off. Something to do with communication between power bank and device I was told. A pity as it would have been really useful for camping trips where I have the power bank for charging phone anyway.

*watches thread for ideas*
I use one of those on my powerbank and I don't remember it crapping out after 30 seconds. Ill try this weekend for you.

Back
Top Bottom