Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet Women v London Bees - Sun 12 Nov (FA Cup)

Alex W

Hot off the back of the women's 6-0 league against Eastbourne United today, attention turns towards next week's MASSIVE FA Cup game against London Bees.

It's a mouthwatering tie, against a team that's two divisions above but struggling for form. An upset seems entirely achievable.

While watching the men's team has been a grind this season, the women have played some wonderful attacking football, and are unbeaten since the first weekend of September. They've been a pleasure to watch.

Our last big women's FA Cup at home was a record crowd, and hopefully as many people as possible will be coming down to Champion Hill next Sunday. Please do come and support the team if you can make it!

Definitely didn't look out of place against Gillingham last season, though it did take that wonder strike from Corrigan to keep us in it. Definite chance for an upset, my only fear is we're still not as clinical as we could be. We're controlling lots of games this season but lots of missed chances before we're making it count on the scoreboard

Big effort to fill the Hill could make a huge difference on the day against a team in poor form with an average attendance of 77 last season (despite being 2 leagues above us and in the WSL Championship not that long ago)

Definitely didn't look out of place against Gillingham last season, though it did take that wonder strike from Corrigan to keep us in it. Definite chance for an upset, my only fear is we're still not as clinical as we could be. We're controlling lots of games this season but lots of missed chances before we're making it count on the scoreboard

Big effort to fill the Hill could make a huge difference on the day against a team in poor form with an average attendance of 77 last season (despite being 2 leagues above us and in the WSL Championship not that long ago)
We're a totally different team when Roberts plays. Yesterday felt like watching the Hamlet play last season - making 20-30 chances that bring anywhere from 2 to 6 goals. But if she'd have started yesterday I genuinely think we'd have got into double figures by half time.

I imagine she was rotated out because it was a lesser cup, and hopefully she'll be back in the team on Sunday.

We're a totally different team when Roberts plays. Yesterday felt like watching the Hamlet play last season - making 20-30 chances that bring anywhere from 2 to 6 goals. But if she'd have started yesterday I genuinely think we'd have got into double figures by half time.

I imagine she was rotated out because it was a lesser cup, and hopefully she'll be back in the team on Sunday.
Pity she was a dual-reg with London Bees last season otherwise she'd make a perfect secret weapon for Sunday in that case

Game day. I haven't been this nervous for a Hamlet game in a long time.

Here's hoping today ends up being everything it could be!

A fine 2-0 Hamlet win, thanks to first half goals from Summer Roberts and Erin Corrigan, and Saskia Reeves-Priestley was safe hands personified in securely holding every ball that came her way as well as thwarting Bees' best effort by tipping a vicious dipping shot over the crossbar. Our whole team was magnificent, defending soundly as a unit throughout as well as offering an attacking threat to the end.

20231112_155947.jpg

Terrific video from Kian showing the atmosphere at the end:

But honestly, it's so gratifying to read the posts from people who enjoyed today. The women's matches have been a version of this for at least 9 months now. This seems to have been a good opportunity to people to try them for the first time, and hopefully we'll see everyone back in the near future!

Basing it on the old cliché of teams who beat teams who beat teams, Billericay comprehensively beat Real Bedford 5-0 yesterday. Real have won every other game in all competitions before that result and are top of the Eastern Regional League Premier Division, on the same Tier as the L&SERWL Premier. This included a 9-2 win over Hackney WFC who lost to the reserves yesterday. That said the recruitment this season has been excellent, there’s a good mix of talent in the squad and a lot of youngsters continue to grow as players. The off field summer shenanigans definitely seem to have galvanised the whole squad, across both reserves (top of their division) and the first team, with greater unity across the squad rather two separate clubs as sometimes seemed the case last season.

Basing it on the old cliché of teams who beat teams who beat teams, Billericay comprehensively beat Real Bedford 5-0 yesterday. Real have won every other game in all competitions before that result and are top of the Eastern Regional League Premier Division, on the same Tier as the L&SERWL Premier. This included a 9-2 win over Hackney WFC who lost to the reserves yesterday.
I found a comprehensive report on the Bedford v Billericay game. First two goals in the first 10 minutes and the last two in stoppage time.

Bedford won 5-0 at home to mid-table Barking in a league match. Hamlet won 6-0 at Barking in an earlier round in a game that was very one sided after a couple of early Barking attacks. I'd assumed they were lower level at the time, so perhaps the Eastern Premier isn't as strong as the L&SE Premier, although Bedford appear nailed on to win it with something to spare.

London clubs do find it easier to attract players particularly those from overseas where women aren’t discouraged from playing football as youngsters as still happens here. At both Peckham and Clapton CFC I play alongside a number of Latin players who have grown up playing football. Outside London recruitment becomes more localised. There isn’t the incentives to travel to play. Last summer I was approached by two Essex based clubs that play the level below Real Bedford. Getting to training would have meant getting home well after midnight with no remuneration for doing so.

Back
Top Bottom