Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Whitehawk (Isthmian League) Saturday 09.03.24

Pink Panther

No trains to East Dulwich for this one. All services via Denmark Hill (Overground, Thameslink, Southeastern) are running normally.

A good opportunity to bank 3 points at Fortress Champion Hill after a fortnight without a game. Whitehawk have slipped down the table since we had to settle for a draw at their place in October, although they're unbeaten in the last 5.

We were honking today. Could have played another 90 and not scored.

Hak spent the game at the back of the stand?

Hansenn back in the squad, I thought we had moved on from that. Not good enough at this level.

Has Kresh had another setback? Alfie Egan and Alfie Allen seem to have fallen off the radar. All of the sudden it seems like we have lost the depth from the squad.

A volunteer from the crowd stepped up. Man that was a drab draw. We controlled possession and territory, but they had the better chances. Their seven had two really good opportunities in the first half but wasted them both. Our best chance wasn’t even an effort on goal, but the Shonibare cross that Mills couldn’t quite connect with at the back post.
The most interesting incidents bookended the game, the need for a replacement official, and the streaker.

Shite game. Did the linesman turn up in the end or did someone in the crowd step up?

As an aside, that non Guinness stout is quite nice.
I think it was a person from the crowd. Maybe the fifteen minute delay threw everyone out of their stride but it was pretty drab. Visitors had the best chances - an open goal for the 7 and a great save by Constable. Missed AJ and as noted earlier, limited options from the bench.

A rare blank for the Hamlet, ending a run of scoring in 22 consecutive league matches. On the plus side we kept only our third clean sheet in the same sequence.

The chilly wind was just strong enough to be a significant factor in spoiling the game, as passes were blown off course and each side overhit too many through balls with the wind at their backs. Both keepers made several saves you'd have expected them to make, Constable pulled off the one difficult save to touch a fierce rising shot over the crossbar, and both sides wasted a small number of gilt edged chances with weak finishing or inability to react quickly enough in front of goal. The Whitehawk #7 hit the corner flag from near the penalty spot after doing well to reach a low left wing cross ahead of three defenders, then the same player shot well wide of the far post after being played in from a quick breakaway from one of our corners. Mills was unable to convert a far post cross that reached him at an awkward height, then Clifton had possibly not adjusted to the pace of the game when a low cross eluded him within about 60 seconds of coming off the bench following some magical ball skills from Binnom-Williams to bamboozle defenders on the left edge of the box.

I haven't seen a performance I could describe as disappointing (as opposed to a result, i.e. Hornchurch) for a good few months now, so I reckon we were due a bit of a dud, but at least we still took something on a day when several rivals for a top 5 place did no better. Maybe the players were a bit ring rusty after a fortnight without a game, but the games will be coming thick and fast from next Saturday with 6 in 17 days.

Fair play to the volunteer in the crowd. I did wonder if the game could go ahead without the full set of officials.

If the hilarious guy who ran on the pitch just in his pants at the end of the match (as probably part of a brilliant stag do gag) had done it during the actual game it might have it more interesting.

Shite game. Did the linesman turn up in the end or did someone in the crowd step up?

A volunteer from the crowd stepped up.

The official linesman was supposedly delayed by the large march/demonstration in central London. Surely he must have got there eventually, unless he somehow got arrested on the demo? If the volunteer did the entire 90 minutes he did a bloody good job.

My bet was on the lino running the DKH/Toilets Opposite line, he had a certain nervous bounce about him.

I would be very surprised if the referee didn't put a volunteer assistant on that side. They wouldn't want them on the dugouts side. The senior assistant usually works that when you have two qualified assistants, there's a reason for that.

My bet was on the lino running the DKH/Toilets Opposite line, he had a certain nervous bounce about him.
They certainly wouldn't have put a volunteer linesman on the side with the benches. There will always be a nominated senior assistant who will do the side with the benches.

The official linesman was supposedly delayed by the large march/demonstration in central London. Surely he must have got there eventually, unless he somehow got arrested on the demo? If the volunteer did the entire 90 minutes he did a bloody good job.
I was driving up to the game from Oxford and got stuck in central London due to the march, eventually giving up and going home after 3 1/2 hours of trying to get across the river. A mad day and I question what the demonstrators are trying to achieve when they disrupt ordinary folk trying to enjoy a day out. It certainly doesn't endear me to them! On the plus side, it seemed like good game to miss!

Anyone know where Allen and Egan are? As I understand it Allen did alright when he filled in for Scott a couple of months back?
Allen was warming up with the squad yesterday, as were Edwards and Lakin. I didn't notice Kresh or Egan with the group. We seem to have 7 players competing for 3 midfield slots with relatively limited cover for back four and front three places.

Krasniqi watched the second half from just behind the dugouts, by the tunnel.

First game in a while where the opposition were more organised and up for it than we were. Spoke to a few of their supporters afterwards and they were very pleased with their performance, so could be a decent point gained rather than two points dropped.

We’ve been in an interesting place with the squad for a while. Thin on the ground in some areas, but with limited injuries not exposing them whilst we’ve been on a great run.

One game doesn’t mean that needs to change, but still a bit surprised we’ve not brought in a couple of proactive options to anticipate potential problems with fitness and availability. Doesn’t really feel like we’re going for it.

Last edited:
I was driving up to the game from Oxford and got stuck in central London due to the march, eventually giving up and going home after 3 1/2 hours of trying to get across the river. A mad day and I question what the demonstrators are trying to achieve when they disrupt ordinary folk trying to enjoy a day out. It certainly doesn't endear me to them! On the plus side, it seemed like good game to miss!
Maybe you should have taken public transport. Moaning about people protesting about the ongoing horrific genocide in Gaza seems a little self entitled.

Anyway, you didn't miss anything. The game was dull, dull, dull.

Back
Top Bottom