Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Potters Bar Town (Isthmian League) Tuesday 28 November 2023

Not in an official league or cup match, as far as I'm aware. The first pre-season match when Craig Edwards became our manager in 2007 was against them, but I doubt it's in the club records. I think we lost but can't remember the result. It was played on one of the former banks sports grounds on Copers Cope Road in Beckenham. I think we may also have visited them for a midweek friendly the following pre-season, but if so I wasn't there.

I ticked their ground the season after we were promoted and it's one of the dullest towns I've ever visited. Probably best not to mention that in the programme though!

Incidentally both our matches against them are listed as being at home in our programme fixture list, and we're down to play someone else twice away. I noticed a while ago but forgot to mention it, so that needs correcting if hasn't already been done.

Not in an official league or cup match, as far as I'm aware. The first pre-season match when Craig Edwards became our manager in 2007 was against them, but I doubt it's in the club records. I think we lost but can't remember the result. It was played on one of the former banks sports grounds on Copers Cope Road in Beckenham. I think we may also have visited them for a midweek friendly the following pre-season, but if so I wasn't there.

I ticked their ground the season after we were promoted and it's one of the dullest towns I've ever visited. Probably best not to mention that in the programme though!

Incidentally both our matches against them are listed as being at home in our programme fixture list, and we're down to play someone else twice away. I noticed a while ago but forgot to mention it, so that needs correcting if hasn't already been done.
Super, thanks PP. I will double check the fixture list for the next one

2-1 up at half time with a Binnom-Williams free kick and a Chambers header either side of a far post header for the visitors. It's been rather exciting so far and Shonibare starting at centre forward adds to the array of pace and trickery across the forward line.

Is there anything more terrifying or ominous than the ball across our six yard box? A draw was probably a fair result overall

Bloody hell that was cold.

Second half we didn't fire and with hindsight a classic double sub on 70 mins might have been the move.

Good pacy attacking, especially in the first half, but none of our forward line could muster a goal.

Unbeaten again but 2 points out of 6 against two teams down near the drop zone is a missed opportunity.

Chatham lost and Hornchurch look out of sight at the top now.

As a unit I thought the front four were excellent, with Jeffrey the pick of the bunch. Their ability to interchange and switch positions is going to cause a lot of teams problems, as you can’t just shut one down and stifle us.

Shonibare leading the line gave us a look at something different to Mills or Clifton, a difference similar to that of Romain in pre-season.

I’m sure Hak will switch it up based on opponents and squad fitness, but I’d like to see that front four given more game time together.

We REALLY should be beating low lying teams like Potters Bar...
Yes, we should have won this particular match, but I'm not really interested where Potters Bar are in the league table. For what it's worth, their recent form is very similar to ours with only one defeat in the last 10 games (against runaway leaders Hornchurch) and a lot of draws. I'm more concerned with the fact that yet again we scored first (as we have in all 6 league draws, plus the FA Cup tie with Haringey) and conceded two equalisers. It's become a bad habit. If we'd held out for the win in just half those games we'd be within a single point of the top 5 tonight.

We really had Potters Bar on the ropes in the first half and ran their defence ragged, switching the play from one side to the other and attacking with pace and skill. Our opening goal was a direct free kick no more than a foot outside the box after a flicked pass from Krasniqi struck a defender on the hand at point blank range. It was one of those where the contact looked obvious but the level of intent much less so. It also looked inside the box to me, not that it made any difference. Binnom-Williams' low strike went almost straight at the keeper but beat him for sheer power.

The visitors hadn't really been in the game before they levelled on the quarter hour from a high inswinging corner aimed well beyond the far post that was headed back into the opposite corner. I'm not sure you can do a lot against that sort of delivery when it's done well, other than knock it out for another corner on the other side. Hamlet regained the lead from a corner when a downward header from Chambers seemed to be covered by the keeper, but with a defender rushing in under pressure from Ayuk the ball eluded him and ended up in the net. The interplay between our forwards was mesmeric at times, with the keeper making an important save at the feet of Shonibare after our newest recruit had spirited the ball past the last defender with a sublime dance floor turn inside the box.

It was one of those games when we didn't really need the half time interval. We really ought to have been 2 or 3 in front and were never likely to be so dominant for another 45 minutes. We did have further good chances to cement our position. Jeffrey hit a beautifully weighted pass to the edge 6 yard box which Shonibare reached at full tilt, only to scuff his shot wide. A subtle glancing header at the near post looked destined for the net, but the keeper reacted smartly to paw it away at the last moment and Chambers fired the rebound just over the bar. We just seemed to run out of steam during the final quarter, with Potters Bar having more of the play and consistently troubling us with the flight and accuracy of their balls into our box, one of which yielded a second equaliser from close range with 15 minutes to go.

Thoughts on the performance of Constable? Wasn't convinced today especially with the numbers of keepers in the squad. Looked indecisive and shaky coming out & with the ball at this feet. And also looked unconvincing by the way he flapped at the ball for the first goal. Haven't been able to get to the last few games so this was his first match I've seen so not sure if I am being too harsh and this was a blip in a good run?

Overall i thought a draw was fair. We looked dominant in first half but after we missed a few chances at the beginning of the 2nd , PB dominated for 20/25 mins and you see an equalizer coming . Then we had a good last 10 mins after tgeir goal. Constable is very much with the modern keeper , trying to start quick attacks, using his feet, playing sweeper ..... In fact i thought he had left the pitch once until i saw him by the half way line. It is exciting and risky and over the last 2 games he has sent great long passes out to the wings and started attacks but also the oppostion has had 3 or 4 chances to try a long shot into an empty net. Great save from Parrys deflection in 2nd half. I would like to see us stick with him. We could still do with an atracking midfield player in front of Scott and Kresh as Ayuk does his best in unfamiliar role and another striker/goal scorer.

Same here, first time seeing him. Thought harsh on Lakin to drop him but I guess R'avan has earned a spell based on being around the longest
Thought he was bizarrely inconsistent yesterday. A couple of absolutely brilliant stops, but he made one really basic error, and in general he looked a very nervous presence (which must be a nightmare for the defenders).

Perhaps he'll be calmer and more confident with more game time, but on last night's form I wasn't particularly impressed.

can't afford to miss so many opportunities to score, and the goals we conceded were as soft as they come. played some great stylish football though. trouble reconciling this.

Thought he was bizarrely inconsistent yesterday. A couple of absolutely brilliant stops, but he made one really basic error, and in general he looked a very nervous presence (which must be a nightmare for the defenders).

Perhaps he'll be calmer and more confident with more game time, but on last night's form I wasn't particularly impressed.
If anything he looks overconfident to me, and has a tendency to take risks or get involved in situations his defenders could deal with. His handling looks pretty secure for me and it's a question of balancing any flaws against what he offers in terms of instigating our attacking play from the back, which is an asset for me. The days when a goalkeeper only had to save shots, deal with crosses and kick the ball as far as possible are long gone. It's around 40 years since Bruce Grobbelaar was labelled a clown after replacing Ray Clemence, the epitome of the sound and dependable English keeper, for Liverpool. In the end he proved very effective at snuffing out attacks before they even produced an attempt at goal, regaining possession to instigate counter attacks more quickly, and enabling an already dominant team to reach new heights.

At one point in the first half Constable advanced almost to the edge of the centre circle when we were taking a corner, and there was a moment near the end when Pascal attempted a routine headed backpass only to find he'd advanced too far and it went straight past him. Luckily we got away with that, but I get the feeling it's only a matter of time before he's involved in a real Laurel and Hardy moment with a teammate that costs us a goal. However, we played our most exciting attacking football of the season in the first half of this match, and I feel he's an important part of that too. We really should have scored enough goals to win regardless of the two conceded.

By my reckoning, last night was our lowest league attendance since the first season in the Conference South in 2018-19.

I imagine we'll be back to normal on Saturday though, although the cold might put a few off.

By my reckoning, last night was our lowest league attendance since the first season in the Conference South in 2018-19.

I imagine we'll be back to normal on Saturday though, although the cold might put a few off.

Unless I missed it upthread, what was the attendance last night?

It was announced as 818, but I really struggle to believe that's correct. The big stand and the TO were both fairly busy, and the rabble end of the goal was pretty full by the end of the match.

If you'd have asked me before the announcement, I'd have said it was easily over 1,000.
I thought it felt like well over 1,000 too, although I can't see any reason why the official figure would be inaccurate. There were also very few away supporters. The end we were defending was almost literally empty for each half and I didn't notice a single spectator who was obviously supporting Potters Bar.

One other thing, 3 consecutive London Bridge to East Dulwich trains were cancelled during the hour before kick-off. Luckily I always check the live running information before setting off and had enough time to divert to Rotherhithe for the Overground to Denmark Hill, but I only arrived with 10 minutes to spare and was surprised to find almost no queue.

It was announced as 818, but I really struggle to believe that's correct. The big stand and the TO were both fairly busy, and the rabble end of the goal was pretty full by the end of the match.

If you'd have asked me before the announcement, I'd have said it was easily over 1,000.
I was in the TO stand first half and it was far from busy. Plenty of spare seats in the nain stand too. It was a revelation to be able to move around freely and see the action without stress. Let's hope for more cold weather.

I'd imagine the breakeven gate was set substantially above 818 this season. A run of gates like that could have serious consequences.

The club has already lost central funding and two home league fixtures revenue compared to last season, suggesting the season may be financially challenging enough without a series of gates seriously undershooting the breakeven average gate.

I'd imagine the breakeven gate was set substantially above 818 this season. A run of gates like that could have serious consequences.

The club has already lost central funding and two home league fixtures revenue compared to last season, suggesting the season may be financially challenging enough without a series of gates seriously undershooting the breakeven average gate.

Thanks for that cheerful outlook.

😉

The league average attendance was 2,500+ before last night, which is higher than last season's final average. The last three Saturday games have all been 3,000+.

This match was rescheduled due to an FA Trophy tie that pulled almost 3,000 on the original date. We rarely get much more than 1,500 for midweek league games anyway, and we only have one more scheduled for the rest of the season.

I'm pretty sure the club will have budgeted for a figure below the current average, and see no reason whatsoever to expect "a run of gates" anywhere below 2,000. I anticipate our remaining matches (almost all of which will be on Saturdays) will push the current average higher by the end of the season.

What it does show is the incentive to get Saturday games on, thinking about the freezing weather leading up to Saturday. The big disparity in attendances particularly in Winter between Tues and Sat games is probably reflected in a difference in about £20,000 before taking into account drink and food.

Not sure what cold weather mitigations we have but if a smaller budget protected a vulnerable part of the pitch with a cover, it would surely be worth it if it ensured the game was on.

Back
Top Bottom