Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Margate (Isthmian League) Saturday 11.11.23

Pink Panther

We actually have a normal train service to East Dulwich for this match! However, once again, there is no Overground service via Denmark Hill. Anyone who normally travels via Canada Water will need to go via London Bridge, as there isn't a replacement bus service this time.

Fine goal by Jeffrey and deserved lead at half time then right off the boil for 15 mins after the break and conceded. Pushing for a winner and caught on 90 by Cawley. Kept going into 6 mins of stoppage time and made it 2-2 right at the death. A point was only fair.

First half was the best we have played all season.

Not sure what changed in the second half but we weren't the same team, didn't have the same drive or confidence.

Lucky to escape.with a point. But great to see the ground full to bursting again.

Im sure there were the usual daytrippers around but around me in TO everyone seemed focused on the action on the pitch.

First half was certainly the best I've seen us play since the opening home game against Canvey, when we also led 1-0 at the break but followed up with a second shortly afterwards, and went on to win comfortably.

Today we were a bit unlucky not to be further ahead by half time, with Jeffrey hitting the crossbar from distance and a Chambers header cleared off the line, while the Margate attack barely had a sniff. If there's a criticism it's that we had a number of attempts without testing the keeper. However, the opening goal from Jeffrey was an absolute peach, cutting inside from the right and unleashing the perfect left foot shot from the edge of the penalty area into the far top corner.

It was one of those days when the half time break was the last thing we needed. We just seemed to lose all momentum, and conceded a string of free kicks in dangerous positions in the first 15 minutes after the restart. Jeffrey was harshly booked for one of these when he seemed to inadvertently clip an opponent's heel in closing him down. Another foul given against the same player earned the Margate #8 a yellow card for suggesting our man should get a second. (He was subsequently rather lucky not to get a second himself for a pair of spoiling fouls late in the game.) A fourth free kick just before the hour was chipped to the far post, dropping conveniently for #8, having lost his marker, to convert on the half volley.

As the second half wore on, we came back into the game from an attacking perspective without looking especially composed or in control. There was always the nagging worry Margate could catch us on the break and that's what happened when a great crossfield pass was just kept in play on the left touchline by the substitute #10. Although his initial delivery into the box was repelled, we remained stretched until the ball was worked out to the opposite flank for a simple square delivery across goal to set up #9 for an easy finish just as 6 additional minutes were announced. I thought the referee handled the game well on the whole, although I'm not sure what an assessor would make of him declining to show two fairly obvious yellow cards to visiting players in stoppage time, which avoided further delays and enabled us to sustain the attacking momentum that eventually brought that last gasp equaliser. I didn't have a great view from 90 yards away but a left wing cross reached the far post for substitute Shonibare to convert from close range.

Considering the 45 minutes after half time was a rather painful exhibition of shooting ourselves in the foot, I thought the atmosphere was remarkably upbeat and there a huge roar when we equalised, followed by loud chanting clearly audible from outside the ground as I made my way back to the station. It almost felt like a win in the end.

Today was the most uplifting men's game in a long time. In the first half they really looked like a proper team, and the atmosphere was surprisingly good throughout the match. The crowd certainly seemed much more into the game than the home fixture against Lewes.

Slow progress, but progress on all fronts.

Ticket sales for tomorrow's women's game are apparently crazy high. Hopefully they can get an upset in front of a massive crowd, and it will be a really positive weekend.

Overall the defence looks so much better and Chambers and Parry looked comfortable for most of the game However we still let in soft goals with simple passes along the 6 yard box and on this occasion the " pudding" scored.

Jeffreys return to fitness has been a big plus and you can see how Shonibare will frighten defences with his pace. Liked seeing Ayuk in the centre. Perhaps not his natural positon but a better bet there than the other wide players. Good atmosphere in the ground and good to get that release of emotion at the end.

I love a hard luck story!

First off all, the amount of stoppage time indicated was "a minimum of 6 additional minutes". It could have been 6m 45secs as soon as it began. The Phil Roberts caution was not "contentious" at all. I saw it clearly from between our dugout and the corner flag. A replacement ball was kicked on from the bench after the original had been cleared out of the ground on the far side, and he knew exactly what he was doing when he purposely stepped into the path of the ball and knocked it almost all the way back to the near touchline. If you're going to take the piss like that it serves you right when it comes back to bite you on the arse. Also the referee still didn't blow the final whistle as soon as they kicked off, they still had the chance to score a winner with a long range shot on target that was comfortably held by Will Lakin.

Back
Top Bottom