Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Lewes, FA Trophy, Saturday 28.10.23

Definitely a few of their fans when leaving were like just any other football fan who won and giving the Billy big bollox while in a big group. Then shut up when a couple waited by gate A for their mate to go to the toilet 😂

If they write any more rubbish like this someone will give them a regular column...

To be honest, I've really enjoyed today's Twitter nonsense. The Lewes fans getting involved have universally made complete arses of themselves, and it's added a nice bit of spice ahead of our visit to the Authentic Working Class Colosseum Of Noise that I'm led to believe is the Dripping Pan.

Read it, smiled a bit, pondered about how they used AI to create those pictures then got on with life. I’d be a tad concerned if they asked the AI generator to create pictures of “Dulwich Hamlet fans” and this is how AI sees us!! They haven’t had a go at Dulwich for our community initiatives, they haven’t decided to call Dulwich a “right on” club or anything of that ilk. There’s incredulity that Dulwich can attract nearly 3,000 fans to an all pay FA Trophy when so many struggle to get bums on seats but I’m sure there are more than the few at the club pleasantly surprised at those figures. Count me in that number. If there’s one peeve it’s that they’ve decided that sort of nouveau supporter that had regularly been lampooned, bemoaned or whatever here covers the vast majority of fans in the stadium. That said I reckon a floral pink and blue scarf would go down a bomb in the Trust shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 11
If there’s one peeve it’s that they’ve decided that sort of nouveau supporter that had regularly been lampooned, bemoaned or whatever here covers the vast majority of fans in the stadium.
I expect a certain amount of piss taking from opposition supporters, it's what football supporters do. Most of the comments do apply to a minority of our supporters, even if they're exaggerated for effect, and given the size of our crowds a minority can easily include up to 1,000.

What really irritates me is the number of our own supporters on here who seem to enjoy nodding in agreement and reinforcing these stereotypes. I'm guessing all those who like to gripe about fellow Hamlet supporters regard themselves as belonging to some of some sort of old school contingent to whom the lazy stereotypes are not applicable. If you are one of those people (I don't mean you Paula_G , just you as in anyone reading this) you might like to consider that maybe you are one of the Hamlet supporters who caught the eye of these away fans during their visit, and maybe you are one of the objects of their mirth? Frankly if any away fan wants to lump me in with all of that I couldn't really care less, I know my length and depth of support and commitment to my club, and it will almost certainly be greater than his. (And that's another thing, all these amateur satirists seem to be male, whereas we probably have a higher percentage of female supporters than any other football club I've visited. I wonder whether that plays a part in the levels of ridicule?)

If you're one of those moaning about lack of atmosphere, what are you doing on matchdays to redress that? Are you making a big effort to lead the vocal support for our team, or are you just standing back and expecting others to do the heavy lifting? I used to be one of the loud voices in the Rabble but as I get older I just don't feel I have the energy for that any more. That's my choice and I'm not going to criticise others for theirs, as long as they aren't being obnoxious and abusive for no good reason, and given the crowd numbers I think we do remarkably well in deterring those with a bad attitude.

I did find the matchdays more enjoyable a few years ago, but that's probably because we usually won and were always pushing for promotion, and it was an exciting transition to see the crowd numbers building as that happened over the last decade. Many of the previous 30 seasons from 1980-2010 were pretty dismal in retrospect, especially the last few, although it seemed normal at the time and the odd good seasons during that era are still fondly remembered by those who experienced them. There were also plenty of dull games where the Rabble would be horsing around and paying little attention to the match, but I doubt anyone else cared or commented about it in a mostly empty ground. Any supporters who came on board from 2010 onwards were spoilt, because it was never really like that for more than the odd year or two before.

We've consistently lost more games than we've won for the last 5 years now and been relegated as a result. At most clubs half the supporters would have drifted away if that happened, yet ours are supposedly disinterested or not "proper" supporters because they keep coming back.

I expect a certain amount of piss taking from opposition supporters, it's what football supporters do. Most of the comments do apply to a minority of our supporters, even if they're exaggerated for effect, and given the size of our crowds a minority can easily include up to 1,000.

What really irritates me is the number of our own supporters on here who seem to enjoy nodding in agreement and reinforcing these stereotypes. I'm guessing all those who like to gripe about fellow Hamlet supporters regard themselves as belonging to some of some sort of old school contingent to whom the lazy stereotypes are not applicable. If you are one of those people (I don't mean you Paula_G , just you as in anyone reading this) you might like to consider that maybe you are one of the Hamlet supporters who caught the eye of these away fans during their visit, and maybe you are one of the objects of their mirth? Frankly if any away fan wants to lump me in with all of that I couldn't really care less, I know my length and depth of support and commitment to my club, and it will almost certainly be greater than his. (And that's another thing, all these amateur satirists seem to be male, whereas we probably have a higher percentage of female supporters than any other football club I've visited. I wonder whether that plays a part in the levels of ridicule?)

If you're one of those moaning about lack of atmosphere, what are you doing on matchdays to redress that? Are you making a big effort to lead the vocal support for our team, or are you just standing back and expecting others to do the heavy lifting? I used to be one of the loud voices in the Rabble but as I get older I just don't feel I have the energy for that any more. That's my choice and I'm not going to criticise others for theirs, as long as they aren't being obnoxious and abusive for no good reason, and given the crowd numbers I think we do remarkably well in deterring those with a bad attitude.

I did find the matchdays more enjoyable a few years ago, but that's probably because we usually won and were always pushing for promotion, and it was an exciting transition to see the crowd numbers building as that happened over the last decade. Many of the previous 30 seasons from 1980-2010 were pretty dismal in retrospect, especially the last few, although it seemed normal at the time and the odd good seasons during that era are still fondly remembered by those who experienced them. There were also plenty of dull games where the Rabble would be horsing around and paying little attention to the match, but I doubt anyone else cared or commented about it in a mostly empty ground. Any supporters who came on board from 2010 onwards were spoilt, because it was never really like that for more than the odd year or two before.

We've consistently lost more games than we've won for the last 5 years now and been relegated as a result. At most clubs half the supporters would have drifted away if that happened, yet ours are supposedly disinterested or not "proper" supporters because they keep coming back.
Absolutely this. Every game there's a dedicated group of about 20-30 people behind the goal who always try and sing for a full 90 minutes, which is probably more than you get at other clubs at this level.

Unfortunately Champion Hill has probably the worst acoustics of any football ground I've ever been to, so it's like trying to have a boxing match with both hands tied behind your back.

The only way we improve the atmosphere is if more people go behind the goal and sing their lungs out. If that's not what you want to do, then that's absolutely fine, but I think you forfeit the right to criticise the atmosphere if you're not doing anything to improve it.

I enjoy the different atmospheres. Had a great time on Tuesday with about 50 Dulwich fans in the Wingate attendance . Also enjoy the much larger home atmospheres. Saturday was a bit muted because we never really looked like we would recover from 2 0 down. It is unfortunate our acoustics are terrible plenty of singing in the fans behind the goal. I couldnt hear the Lewes fans apart from the goals but i am sure they made some noise . I thought Ben said something about getting some covers although not the scaffolding type even though we are (hopefully) moving in 2/3 years to the other site.

I enjoy the different atmospheres. Had a great time on Tuesday with about 50 Dulwich fans in the Wingate attendance . Also enjoy the much larger home atmospheres. Saturday was a bit muted because we never really looked like we would recover from 2 0 down. It is unfortunate our acoustics are terrible plenty of singing in the fans behind the goal. I couldnt hear the Lewes fans apart from the goals but i am sure they made some noise . I thought Ben said something about getting some covers although not the scaffolding type even though we are (hopefully) moving in 2/3 years to the other site.
Yep really agree with this, loved the togetherness of the atmosphere at Wingate last week but equally enjoy the home games. Seems to me no matter what your Fanbase, attendance, demographic etc there will always be people wanting to have a pop so best just to get on with it and support your team how you want to.

To be fair, much of the comment on Lewes social media circles (which I occasionally dabble in) has been people embarrassed by the tone of that supporters club match report.

I'm going to the Lewes v Charlton women's game on Friday and the club has just announced it will feature "the players walking out to flaming torches" plus a special drinks menu including "Curveball (vodka, milk, cream and edible glitter), Firefly (vodka, strawberry puree, lime and cracked black pepper) and Goldschlächer/raspberry liquer shots" plus "popping candy for sale behind the bar".

All of which makes something of a mockery of them making a mockery of Champion Hill's 'hipster' vibe.

Think it might have been better to let this lie rather than try to turn it into some sort of Twitter turf war.
Agreed. Why on earth has our club retweeted that, giving it more oxygen and inviting all the random followers of other clubs to pile in? We could easily have posted the same photographs of our own supporters without anything else attached.

To be fair, much of the comment on Lewes social media circles (which I occasionally dabble in) has been people embarrassed by the tone of that supporters club match report.

I'm going to the Lewes v Charlton women's game on Friday and the club has just announced it will feature "the players walking out to flaming torches" plus a special drinks menu including "Curveball (vodka, milk, cream and edible glitter), Firefly (vodka, strawberry puree, lime and cracked black pepper) and Goldschlächer/raspberry liquer shots" plus "popping candy for sale behind the bar".

All of which makes something of a mockery of them making a mockery of Champion Hill's 'hipster' vibe.
Think that very much reflects Lewes’s incredibly unique bonfire tradition rather than any “hipster” pretensions.

Think it might have been better to let this lie rather than try to turn it into some sort of Twitter turf war.

It does seem something of a misstep for the official club account to be used to counter something said on a Lewes unofficial account.
And I don't think that including that set of random photos was a particularly good idea either.

It was allegedly the official supporters club report - so not unofficial - if that was the case then everyone entitled to their views

Think that very much reflects Lewes’s incredibly unique bonfire tradition rather than any “hipster” pretensions.

Lewes is my local team. They do a theme for almost every game with special cocktails and snacks and often party games/fairground events etc.

Obviously the bonfire weekend one is bonfire themed but many other games are similarly seasonal or anniversary/event/charity issue themed.

Which is why I find their smirking at 'craft beer cans' and 'a folk festival crowd' (and that is their official supporters club match report, ie from the owners of the club, btw) a bit hypocritical.

That's the sole point I'm trying to make Paula I'm not criticising either club's fans, venue or matchday environment, I promise you x

Lewes is my local team. They do a theme for almost every game with special cocktails and snacks and often party games/fairground events etc.

Obviously the bonfire weekend one is bonfire themed but many other games are similarly seasonal or anniversary/event/charity issue themed.

Which is why I find their smirking at 'craft beer cans' and 'a folk festival crowd' (and that is their official supporters club match report, ie from the owners of the club, btw) a bit hypocritical.
I read a few of the other match reports on that supporters' website and they all seemed quite irreverent and amusing, focusing mainly on their own club and team's part in the game with just the odd quirky observation on the opposition, so this one is completely out of character in going out of its way to stick the boot into the Hamlet. I've no idea why they felt the need to do that. We hadn't played them for 7 years, it's not as if there's been a recent history of friction between the two clubs and their supporters. I can only assume, having become pretty much the best supported club in the Premier Division during our absence, someone's got a chip on their shoulder over suddenly having a club with 3 times the size of support to contend with. Or possibly supporters of the more mainstream small town clubs have lumped them in with us and Whitehawk as hipsters, lefties, "woke" etc., and they resent us for that?

Incidentally Lewes drew the winners of the delayed Kingstonian v Whitehawk tie away in the next round of the Trophy, to be played on 18th November, so if they win that our league game there on Saturday 9th December will be off.

Back
Top Bottom