Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Hornchurch (Isthmian League) Saturday 10.02.24

Pink Panther

Once again there are no trains to East Dulwich on Saturday, and the Overground to Denmark Hill via Canada Water is also closed, with a replacement bus service on both routes.

This game should be a good test of just how much our team has improved since the turn of the year. We're now 2nd behind Bognor in the current form guide for the last 6 and 8 league matches, and unbeaten at home in the league since August, while Hornchurch are flying at the top of the table with just one defeat all season.

Great performance against very strong team who will win the League - surprised how well we played and should have got a point
shocking abuse of our Keeper
and noted steward had to be called after bottles thrown on pitch
that said and know it's very hard, but Keeper should not react - loved his Ederson style
surprise only 2,800

Great first Hamlet goal
Great confidence for the rest of the season

2 great goals from us. We should have scored more especially in first half. Would like to see goals we conceded again - theirs from the corner especially it seemed far too easy for them. When we scored the second it felt like we celebrated for too long and lost focus - we seemed to sit back and invite them onto us afterwards. But despite result we played really well, some lovely attacking football and great movement

Unlucky not to get even one point from that as our “irresistible force” were denied by Hornchurch’s “immovable object”. Two great goals - the pass from Scott for the second - but conceding two from corners is very frustrating. Was 2800 crowd down to weather forecast, or train chaos?

thought we played very well up until the 2nd goal and then completely say back and let their two subs take us apart. a real shame. totally deserved at least a point. not seen the hamlet play that confidently and flowingly for a long long time. despite the result it was a cracking game.

horrible to hear about the abuse of constable. what was going on? enjoyed his theatrics but felt a little risky when the game was still in the balance.

reckon lots of ppl chose to watch the 6 nations. toilets opposite was noticeably less packed than the last home game. was lots more chanting and vocal support for the team tho, so assuming fewer day trippers?

When he came out for the second half he was having a lot of friendly bantz with the Hornchurch fans, I wonder what happened after?

Thought we were really good today, struggling to remember a better performance at home, and you don't always get what you deserve but I'm massively encouraged for the run in after the last few weeks

What do we reckon then? Decent chance of making play offs or bit of a long shot now?

I look at it and think 6 points off the play offs is not bad, but it's very congested field from 5th to 11th. Lot of teams in the mix. Horsham have so many games in hand too, I'd really expect them to be getting one of the four places.

I wonder what Hakan thinks and I wonder if there'll be any additions to try to help us sustain our form (perhaps one for the next Hakan conflab, DHFC_Programmes). Know a mobile striker is top of most people's lists. I wonder if we can get another Woodman or Lawless-type loan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240210_213951_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240210_213951_Samsung Internet.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 6
I'm very disappointed not to win today, never mind lose, but I can't agree with some of our supporters on Twitter saying we were "unlucky" or didn't deserve to lose". We pretty much did everything we needed to for four fifths of the game but never created another chance after taking the lead, whereas Hornchurch found a way to win even after falling behind with less than 20 minutes to go. They demonstrated why they've only been beaten once in 30 league games, and why they're so far ahead at the top of the table. Our performance would surely have been worth at least a point against any other team in the division, but if we're serious about winning promotion we must do better.

Hornchurch started strongly but we defended solidly to prevent them creating any real chances. Once Hamlet settled into the game all the chances were being created at the right end. Their keeper made an outstanding save to block a stinging shot from Egan with a strong hand at full stretch, and he was tested on at least two other occasions while a Chambers header hit the outside of the post and a Scott effort was blocked on the line. Seven minutes before half time we were punished for a momentary lapse as Shokunbi had his pocket picked in the right back position by centre forward Akinwande, who gave our defence a torrid time on his previous visit to Champion Hill for Hastings back in August. The muscular striker forced his way inside and fired off a rising shot that Constable parried but was headed in on the rebound from point blank range.

The second half opened with Jeffrey shooting just wide of the near post, then five minutes later we were level. Wanadio seemed to be holding onto the ball for two long on the left edge of the penalty box, twisting and turning under pressure and ignoring the easy option of a short pass out to Jeffrey, then he suddenly threw off his marker and whipped a deadly curling shot into the net via the inside of the far post. We were close to going ahead when a long cross to the far post was met with a thumping header by Chambers, but the keeper reacted sharply to tip it over the bar when it had almost gone past him. For 20 minutes or so Hamlet were on top and made them look ordinary. This spell of supremacy climaxed when a great pass out of the centre circle from Scott released Braham-Barrett on the overlap down the right touchline, he pulled a low cross back towards the penalty spot for Mills to arrive on cue and sweep a first time shot past the keeper. I'll have a moan now abut what happened next. Our who team ran over to the corner for an indulgent celebration that lasted far too long. Then they all began returning to their own half except Jeffrey, who began laboriously began retying his laces while the referee stood over him, motioning that the watch had been paused. It was well over two minutes before we were ready to resume, by which time Hornchurch had been able to prepare two substitutes who were now ready to come on. Our delaying tactics effectively gave them a free time out and a chance for their manager to ask us new questions. Hamlet never regained any momentum and within 3 or 4 minutes of play finally restarting a speculative long range shot sook a deflection for a corner. We never properly cleared the delivery and the loose ball was volleyed into our net from around 12 yards out. Hornchurch had forced quite a lot of set pieces throughout the game and we'd dealt really well with the aerial thread of their imposing centre back Ryan Scott, a regular scorer from such situations and into double figures for the season, but just two minutes later we came unstuck again, as another corner was glanced in by one of those substitutes, the smallest man on the pitch.

The number of points we've dropped from winning positions this season has been shocking and today we were taught an especially harsh lesson by opponents who are already where we aspire to be.

When he came out for the second half he was having a lot of friendly bantz with the Hornchurch fans, I wonder what happened after?
Probably just one or two mindless idiots spoiling it, like the individual(s) who stole Hashtag's media equipment a few weeks ago.

Spent a rare game at the front of the TO rather than behind the goal. Some disconnected thoughts:

- Amazing how different a 2,800 crowd feels (fine) versus a 3,300 crowd (hell)

- We were very, very good in the first half. We're not a top Isthmian side, but we're also not far off. Binnom-Williams in particular was immense.

- That said, Constable's distribution was awful, to the extent they seemed to actively target it

- Interesting to see handfuls of people in the TO picking up rabble chants, perhaps from recent well-attended away trips. It's pockets at the moment, but that could really build into something.

- Acoustics corrugated iron roof blah blah you've heard all that before.

- The tired criticism that no one watches the game is, it has to be said, spectacular bollocks.

- I really can't wait until the new ground arrives. It feels a bit like we're treading water as a club until it does. The current stadium is unfit for purpose (as we all know), but our fans across the stadium are genuinely wonderful. Lord knows how many we could attract with a ground that could properly accommodate them.

half term this coming week, which might explain lower attendance? people going away etc.
Do significant numbers of people really go away for a week in early February?

There's often no apparent logic in the fluctuations of our Saturday attendances. We get sellouts against mid-table teams and/or those with little travelling support, then fall several hundred short against the league leaders following a sequence of entertaining wins.

Maybe some of the people who normally turn up late and pay on the gate assumed they wouldn't get in after 500 were turned away last time? I suspect the England v Wales 6 Nations match kicking off at 4.45pm will have lured a fair few of the more casual attenders into choosing an afternoon in the pub.

Maybe some of the people who normally turn up late and pay on the gate assumed they wouldn't get in after 500 were turned away last time?

I think this is the most likely scenario. People are less likely to make the journey knowing there is a decent chance of being turned away

My thoughts on my 2nd ever visit.....
I paid at the turnstiles for Haringay but booked online for Saturday did't want to risk not getting in as I travel from Essex.

Had to drive as no trains on London Overground from north of the river which I think is the main reason but hey it was only 500 difference but as mentioned much more comfortable than a capacity crowd.
Also half term where I live isn't until next week

surprise only 2,800
Thought that comment might have come from more recent arrivals at Champion Hill. I’m sure that’s well past our breakeven gate and the sort of turnout that our rivals can only dream of. Would it be churlish to say that the Six Nations egg chasing game between England & Wales kicking off at 4:45 knocked a few hundred off the gate as a certain demographic within our crowds plonked themselves in the pub to watch that game?

Do significant numbers of people really go away for a week in early February?
Probably within the upper echelons of our support, the ones who can afford ski holidays & gites in the South of France etc. The snow in the Alps is the best it’s been for years so wouldn’t surprise that some have shot off there.

Attendances is just one take from the game - and certainly dont wish to detract
But must look at previous attendances during half term ?
its more likely if half term - then many on childcare duties rather than opting for other sports
sure train issues and weather also factor

Do wonder if our attendances are helped by the fact Crystal Palace are complete 🐶 💩 at the moment?

If the highlights are a true reflection of chances created, we really ought to have won that game comfortably. Some great play by the Hamlet and another terrific goal from Luke!

Back
Top Bottom