Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Haringey Borough (Isthmian League) Saturday 27th January 2024

Pink Panther

After three weeks without a home game we now have two in four days. There's even a full train service to East Dulwich and on the Overground via Denmark Hill. (I won't say "normal service" because it isn't these days. No trains to East Dulwich next Tuesday due to industrial action, and none on either line for the following game against Hornchurch with more engineering works.)

This will be our fourth meeting of the season with Haringey, who are 6 points adrift of safety in the relegation zone, and hopefully our first win.

After three weeks without a home game we now have two in four days. There's even a full train service to East Dulwich and on the Overground via Denmark Hill. (I won't say "normal service" because it isn't these days. No trains to East Dulwich next Tuesday due to industrial action, and none on either line for the following game against Hornchurch with more engineering works.)

This will be our fourth meeting of the season with Haringey, who are 6 points adrift of safety in the relegation zone, and hopefully our first win.
We were utterly pathetic against them in the cup, so it would be hard not to improve on that performance.

We were utterly pathetic against them in the cup, so it would be hard not to improve on that performance.
That was the worst Hamlet game I've seen for years in terms of lack of quality from both sides, it's incredible we were within a couple of minutes of winning it. There's been a big improvement since then and we're unbeaten at home since Lewes in the Trophy at the end of October, and in the league since Chatham on August Bank Holiday, although I'm still concerned by the inability to shut teams out and keep a clean sheet.

Looking forward to today having suffered the ignominy of our last 3 appearances agains HB. Hoping/looking/praying for a validation of how far we've come.

There, I've said it.....ohh....

Haringey had good songs, punk themed.
I was with the Rabble and genuinely couldn't hear a peep from the other end, which is sad because the Haringey fans looked good from various videos. Same old Champion Hill acoustics I suppose.

You could feel every one of the 3,334 people in the second half, and personally I didn't find it much fun at all. Ultimately, one of those days where you're grateful we have a new stadium coming, and counting down the days until it gets built!

It was a real game of two halves, with the Hamlet totally dominant before the break, and we really should have been more than 2 ahead by then.

I thought the first disallowed goal, while it was still 0-0, was perfectly legitimate and I was pretty much in line with Jeffrey as he crossed it from the left. Mills just got up first for me, he was entitled to go for it, the keeper was never in a position to reach it first and our man headed it into the net. I was more annoyed about that being disallowed than I would have been if the penalty from which Wanadio put us ahead hadn't been given. Mills again got up well for a high far post cross and headed it against the raised arm of a defender jumping in front of him. I'm not sure their player even saw where the ball had come from and I doubt there was any intent, but it clearly hit his arm and we see these given all the time by VAR in televised football these days. It was 2-0 after just 11 minutes when Parry headed in a cross from the right. At this stage Haringey just couldn't seem to cope with our aerial assault and the ball was in the net a fourth time when Chambers pounced to knock it in after the keeper had parried a downward header, but the flag went up for offside.

The second half was a different story, as Hamlet just couldn't regain any sort of momentum, while Haringey wrested control of the midfield to launch waves of attack. They pulled one back just after the hour, after some quick passing and fancy footwork around the edge of our box created the opening to fire a low shot into the small pocket Constable couldn't cover by the foot of his left hand post, and were within a whisker of equalising when an impressive header rebounded from the inside of the post and was hacked away for a corner. Hak opted for an adventurous solution, replacing Egan with an extra forward in Pingling, with Wanadio dropping into the hole behind Mills. However it was a later switch, the straight swap of Ayuk for Jeffrey, ultimately put the game to bed after 5 minutes of stoppage time had been indicated. Ayuk latched onto a telling pass out to the right touchline and accelerated towards the edge of the box before slipping the ball inside for Wanadio to slot past the keeper. Big relief all round.

Now we need to back this up at home Wingate on Tuesday and make it 6 points in 4 days.

I was with the Rabble and genuinely couldn't hear a peep from the other end, which is sad because the Haringey fans looked good from various videos. Same old Champion Hill acoustics I suppose.

You could feel every one of the 3,334 people in the second half, and personally I didn't find it much fun at all. Ultimately, one of those days where you're grateful we have a new stadium coming, and counting down the days until it gets built!
Was in the Greendale end in the first half and the Haringey fans were certainly very vocal - sound seems to hardly travel at our ground.

If the new ground isn’t happening anytime soon we should be looking to make proper stands behind the goals - probably not worth the cost though.

Spent both halves at the Greendale End, could hardly hear Dulwich in the first half. Second half was magnificent, this ground is crying out for covered ends.

Was in the Greendale end in the first half and the Haringey fans were certainly very vocal - sound seems to hardly travel at our ground.

If the new ground isn’t happening anytime soon we should be looking to make proper stands behind the goals - probably not worth the cost though.
The acoustics at Champion Hill are just baffling. I normally stand along the side, about 15 yards from the corner flag at the Dog Kennel Hill End. I can hear whichever supporters are stood at that end, but when the two sets of vocal supporters swap ends at half time I can't hear the same supporters at all once they're at the Greendale End, and vice versa.

When I dashed out of the ground for a train at the end of the Hashtag game our supporters still inside the ground sounded much louder from outside. People who haven't actually been at a game have sometimes reported hearing huge roars and crowd noise from some distance away. A friend can hear it every game from Camberwell Grove, beyond the top of Dog Kennel Hill. At the Margate game she was walking home from Sainsbury's when there was such a loud roar she nearly dropped her shopping bags in shock. I guess that was our equaliser in the 7th minute of stoppage time!

Not only is there little cover inside the ground, there's also little elevation and no buildings outside the ground at either end to keep the sound in.

The acoustics at Champion Hill are just baffling. I normally stand along the side, about 15 yards from the corner flag at the Dog Kennel Hill End. I can hear whichever supporters are stood at that end, but when the two sets of vocal supporters swap ends at half time I can't hear the same supporters at all once they're at the Greendale End, and vice versa.

When I dashed out of the ground for a train at the end of the Hashtag game our supporters still inside the ground sounded much louder from outside. People who haven't actually been at a game have sometimes reported hearing huge roars and crowd noise from some distance away. A friend can hear it every game from Camberwell Grove, beyond the top of Dog Kennel Hill. At the Margate game she was walking home from Sainsbury's when there was such a loud roar she nearly dropped her shopping bags in shock. I guess that was our equaliser in the 7th minute of stoppage time!

Not only is there little cover inside the ground, there's also little elevation and no buildings outside the ground at either end to keep the sound in.
I’ve sometimes stood by the Greendale turnstiles and can’t really hear the fans at the Greendale End, as you say it’s an odd ground acoustically.

Having been in north west London this morning I got stuck in awful traffic on the way to the game. Got into the ground at 3:12pm 😭. Heard the cheer for the penalty and then the celebration as it went in from halfway down Quorn Road.

It felt like the club capped the crowds today, which was appreciated. In the second half a toff questioned why I was there, apparently because its a complete joke, and everyone there is 'tories'. Tosser

It felt like the club capped the crowds today, which was appreciated. In the second half a toff questioned why I was there, apparently because its a complete joke, and everyone there is 'tories'. Tosser
Must've been a Clapton fan

Twitter is very useful for sharing immediately updates and information and that's what the official club channels should be used for, not winding up fellow clubs and their supporters.

Let's also remember Hastings were two divisions below us a couple of years ago, yet they've beaten us convincingly at Champion Hill this season and currently have a better chance of promotion than we do. Willy waving over having bigger crowds than them is embarrassing and can only make us more widely disliked as a club. Individual supporters can do that if they like but the club itself should have more dignity and humility.

So now 5 months unbeaten at home in the league, 2 defeats in the last 17 (both in the 90th minute) but a lot of draws and only one clean sheet in that time. Big game on Tuesday. Win it and playoffs look a possibility. Would like another option upfront - where was shonibare?

There was a lot of hard work put in by individuals no longer with us or no longer involved with the club to get Dulwich to the level where these crowds are an expectation rather than a surprise. To start having a pop at another club working just as hard to create an sustainable, welcoming club should be beneath us.IMG_0901.jpeg

There was a lot of hard work put in by individuals no longer with us or no longer involved with the club to get Dulwich to the level where these crowds are an expectation rather than a surprise. To start having a pop at another club working just as hard to create an sustainable, welcoming club should be beneath us.View attachment 409949

Top bants innit

Match highlights. Not sure why the two disallowed goals weren't included. Surely those are the sort of incidents people want to see? The first one looked a poor decision at the time and I'd like to know if I was wrong. There's also an appalling offside call against Millsy at about 02:20 to stop him running clear. I thought that looked dubious at the time but he's well onside, it's not even close. Given the same linesman flagged Chambers offside for the second disallowed goal, when it didn't even occur to me anyone might be off, I'd like to see the replay of that too.

Back
Top Bottom