Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Cheshunt (Isthmian League) Saturday 24.02.24

Pink Panther

Trains running normally via East Dulwich, but no Overground service via Denmark Hill.

Cheshunt are managed by former Hamlet boss Craig Edwards, whose teams are generally robust and never a pushover, so I'm surprised they're currently in the bottom 4 after being relegated with us last year.

Last season's fixture was one of the least aesthetically pleasing spectacles I've seen for a long time, but Hamlet got the all important win thanks to a lone goal from Johl Powell. It could be a similar war of attrition again, but at least we're looking towards the top end of the table this time.

A win for Concord against Billericay and Kingstonian getting an impressive point at Enfield after 3 at Bognor. The pressure is on Cheshunt so really does have all the makings of a gritty slog!

Those are useful results for us, with two teams we can still catch dropping points. Billericay and Enfield still have to visit Fortress Champion Hill.
Yep, all we can do is keep winning games and see what happens, lots of teams queuing up to jump in the playoff spots if anyone falters, whatever happens should be really interesting end to the season.

The Flashscore app is quite useful to show our progress over the season. It shows the form table after 30 games , then last 25 down to last 5 games . Dulwich's positon being

Last 30 (now) - 10th
Last 25 - 6th
Last 20 - 4th
Last 15 - 6th
Last 10 - 3rd
Last 5 - 3rd

Shows we have been playing catch up all season after poor start but now one of the best teams. All said and done really enjoying the games at the moment home and away and even if we dont make the playoffs and/or go up this season we will be really strong next season if we can keep most of the big players.

The Flashscore app is quite useful to show our progress over the season. It shows the form table after 30 games , then last 25 down to last 5 games . Dulwich's positon being

Last 30 (now) - 10th
Last 25 - 6th
Last 20 - 4th
Last 15 - 6th
Last 10 - 3rd
Last 5 - 3rd

Shows we have been playing catch up all season after poor start but now one of the best teams. All said and done really enjoying the games at the moment home and away and even if we dont make the playoffs and/or go up this season we will be really strong next season if we can keep most of the big players.

Completely echo this. Southern have pretty much stopped me getting to games now, but really enjoying the highlights, interview, radio commentary etc. Seems like there's a real connection between fans and team again, which is so important IMO. No coincidence that the atmosphere CH seems to have gone up a notch or two.

Hopefully Hak stays.

Interesting to compare our form ( above ) as opppsed to Billericay's form through the season That visit to their ground in October represented a nadir in our perfornances but also a turning point too.

Billericay

Last 31 (now) 3rd
Last 25 - 5th
Last 20 - 10th
Last 15 - 11th
Last 10 - 11th
Last 5 - 17th

Lets hope the form patterns continue for both clubs including the big game against them at the end of March .

Good win and a game that was decided after two quick-fire goals late in the first half. It got a bit tense when Cheshunt got a goal not long after half-time, but we settled and a ferocious strike from Jeffrey that rattled the crossbar (well worth a look on the highlights) got us going again before Mills thumped a strong header past their keeper.

Cheshunt looked poor, I thought, and it has to be the smallest Craig Edwards side I've ever seen. They were well organised and did a good job of frustrating us for the majority of the first half but their two goals were gifted by us, rather than fashioned from good play by them. Wanadio was at fault for both: got caught dicking around with the ball, once on a counter attack and once in the middle of the pitch. Both occasions allowed Cheshunt to break quickly and capitalise on the errors. Other than that, I didn't think they offered much threat - Craig's clearly working on a tight budget down there (I didn't recognise a single name on their team sheet) and it'll need some of his trademark organisation and grit to get them out of the relegation scrap.

Thought there were some big performances from the senior heads in the side today. Can't remember Mills losing a header and he worked so hard chasing lost causes. Good to see him fit and firing again: there were times last season where you could tell he was exhausted and racked with injuries. I don't think there's another full back in the league who could have scored the goal JB-W scored and he so rarely gives the ball away. Thought CBB and Jeffrey played really well, too.

Good to see Krasniqi come on in the final minutes. The midfield looks like it needs some reinforcements: Scott looks much more effective playing deeper than he does as a no. 10 and I'm still not sold on Shokunbi despite recent form. SBJ took his goal really well, but I think we would certainly benefit from either a no. 10 to allow Scott to drop back or an authoritative, experienced head in there to toughen us up a bit. We were obviously the better side today, but I never thought we really dominated the middle of the pitch (much better down the wings) and we looked a bit soft when Cheshunt did launch their attacks. I note Hak said he'd look at the loan market in his last interview so I'll be interested to see if he brings anyone in.

Good result and a decent performance, though. We are well within striking distance of the play offs now and it's interesting to see that quite a few of the other top half teams are starting to lose form. Makes for an exciting run in and hopefully we can keep the results coming.

Last edited:
An exciting 4-2 win, and we should really have won by a more convincing margin. Perhaps the half time 3-0 lead flattered us a little, with two goals coming in stoppage time, but I felt we played better in the second half despite "losing" it 2-1.

Cheshunt were quite assertive during the early stages and played with surprising confidence for a team in the bottom four although they didn't really create much for almost half an hour. Then a rather careless long pass across the field from Binnom-Williams went straight to the feet of their left back in space and he was able to unleash the lively #7 Antonis Vasiliou, a Cyprus U19 international released by Barnet last year, with a long pass down the wing. Constable was tempted towards the edge of his box but couldn't get there in time, as Vasiliou hared past on the outside and pulled a low cross back from the byline, but thankfully Parry and Braham-Barrett had got back to block two shots at an empty net from the edge of the six yard box. Maybe that was the wake up call we needed, as within a couple of minutes later Wanadio drifted inside from the left and tested the keeper with a low shot that he could only parry into the path of Mills for a simple conversion. Braham-Barrett threatened to score a spectacular second, sidestepping several opponents on a strong run into the box, but having done the hard part he blazed a wild shot way off target.. We were into an announced minimum 3 minutes of stoppage time when Binnom-Williams was teed up on the left edge of the box and it was no surprise to see the net bulge behind the keeper as one of his trademark piledrivers whistled past. The usual convoluted celebration must have prompted the referee to add a bit more time and, having forced a corner, I was wondering whether we'd actually have time to take it. The delivery was only cleared to the edge of the penalty box, where Bonnett-Johnson neatly harnessed it and fired low into the bottom corner through a gap ahead of him.

Cheshunt gave themselves a lifeline within ten minutes of the resumption as Vasiliou seized upon hesitancy in the right flank of our defence to surge into the box, resisting an attempt to knock him off balance, and fired a sumptuous rising shot into the far top corner. Surely our habit of throwing way the lead wasn't going to resurface? We certainly didn't look to hold onto what we already had and began attacking consistently and in numbers. Jeffrey was giving their right back a torrid time with his sheer pace, then he popped up in a central position to unleash a phenomenal 35 yard drive that flew over the keeper and ricocheted down from the underside of the bar. He's only scored twice all season, yet that's got to be at least the fourth time he's hit the underside of the bar with a ballistic missile from outside the box. The three goal lead was restored with 20 minutes to go, and it was a wonderful team effort. Several short passes relayed the ball from right to left across the midfield, then Jeffrey turned on the afterburners to skin his man on the outside and chip a beautifully flighted cross into the middle for Mills to arrive on cue, climbing high to smash an unstoppable header past the keeper. Cheshunt might as well have been trying to stop a helicopter. This was a prime opportunity to really put someone to the sword and score five for the first time in the Hak era, but we couldn't quite manage it. Cheshunt reduced the arrears again ten minutes later with a shot that seemed to his the inside of each post before crossing the line, then Constable's circus antics almost cost another when he miscued a clearance directly to a forward closing him down, but our keeper somehow redeemed himself and snuffed out the danger inside the box.

Other results mean we've now closed to within 3 points of the top five. Billericay lost 6-3 at Chatham despite scoring first, with their third being a late consolation. The wheels seem to be coming off there, with 5 defeats in their last 7 games now. It's getting congested and one or two others around us have games in hand, but the next couple of games are against teams now well below us and we're getting close to a position where our fate could be in our own hands if we win the forthcoming "six pointers" against Lewes, Bognor and Billericay next month. I'm still a bit worried that we're conceding too many goals that could have been prevented quite easily, although Cheshunt were quite a niggly physical sort of team as usual and might have got less assistance from a different referee in terms of punishing their persistent and rather obvious holding and pulling. Their #2 was out of his depth against Jeffrey and deservedly got a yellow card for a late tackle, while the #5 couldn't cope at all with Mills and was pulling his shirt quite vigorously every time they challenged for the ball together. I can't say I'll be sorry if they go down, especially if it saves Margate, or even Haringey.

An exciting 4-2 win, and we should really have won by a more convincing margin. Perhaps the half time 3-0 lead flattered us a little, with two goals coming in stoppage time, but I felt we played better in the second half despite "losing" it 2-1.

Cheshunt were quite assertive during the early stages and played with surprising confidence for a team in the bottom four although they didn't really create much for almost half an hour. Then a rather careless long pass across the field from Binnom-Williams went straight to the feet of their left back in space and he was able to unleash the lively #7 Antonis Vasiliou, a Cyprus U19 international released by Barnet last year, with a long pass down the wing. Constable was tempted towards the edge of his box but couldn't get there in time, as Vasiliou hared past on the outside and pulled a low cross back from the byline, but thankfully Parry and Braham-Barrett had got back to block two shots at an empty net from the edge of the six yard box. Maybe that was the wake up call we needed, as within a couple of minutes later Wanadio drifted inside from the left and tested the keeper with a low shot that he could only parry into the path of Mills for a simple conversion. Braham-Barrett threatened to score a spectacular second, sidestepping several opponents on a strong run into the box, but having done the hard part he blazed a wild shot way off target.. We were into an announced minimum 3 minutes of stoppage time when Binnom-Williams was teed up on the left edge of the box and it was no surprise to see the net bulge behind the keeper as one of his trademark piledrivers whistled past. The usual convoluted celebration must have prompted the referee to add a bit more time and, having forced a corner, I was wondering whether we'd actually have time to take it. The delivery was only cleared to the edge of the penalty box, where Bonnett-Johnson neatly harnessed it and fired low into the bottom corner through a gap ahead of him.

Cheshunt gave themselves a lifeline within ten minutes of the resumption as Vasiliou seized upon hesitancy in the right flank of our defence to surge into the box, resisting an attempt to knock him off balance, and fired a sumptuous rising shot into the far top corner. Surely our habit of throwing way the lead wasn't going to resurface? We certainly didn't look to hold onto what we already had and began attacking consistently and in numbers. Jeffrey was giving their right back a torrid time with his sheer pace, then he popped up in a central position to unleash a phenomenal 35 yard drive that flew over the keeper and ricocheted down from the underside of the bar. He's only scored twice all season, yet that's got to be at least the fourth time he's hit the underside of the bar with a ballistic missile from outside the box. The three goal lead was restored with 20 minutes to go, and it was a wonderful team effort. Several short passes relayed the ball from right to left across the midfield, then Jeffrey turned on the afterburners to skin his man on the outside and chip a beautifully flighted cross into the middle for Mills to arrive on cue, climbing high to smash an unstoppable header past the keeper. Cheshunt might as well have been trying to stop a helicopter. This was a prime opportunity to really put someone to the sword and score five for the first time in the Hak era, but we couldn't quite manage it. Cheshunt reduced the arrears again ten minutes later with a shot that seemed to his the inside of each post before crossing the line, then Constable's circus antics almost cost another when he miscued a clearance directly to a forward closing him down, but our keeper somehow redeemed himself and snuffed out the danger inside the box.

Other results mean we've now closed to within 3 points of the top five. Billericay lost 6-3 at Chatham despite scoring first, with their third being a late consolation. The wheels seem to be coming off there, with 5 defeats in their last 7 games now. It's getting congested and one or two others around us have games in hand, but the next couple of games are against teams now well below us and we're getting close to a position where our fate could be in our own hands if we win the forthcoming "six pointers" against Lewes, Bognor and Billericay next month. I'm still a bit worried that we're conceding too many goals that could have been prevented quite easily, although Cheshunt were quite a niggly physical sort of team as usual and might have got less assistance from a different referee in terms of punishing their persistent and rather obvious holding and pulling. Their #2 was out of his depth against Jeffrey and deservedly got a yellow card for a late tackle, while the #5 couldn't cope at all with Mills and was pulling his shirt quite vigorously every time they challenged for the ball together. I can't say I'll be sorry if they go down, especially if it saves Margate, or even Haringey.

Yeh, agreed. I thought they really started to fray after the 4th goal went in and looked like a group of players feeling the pressure. I saw their keeper getting fairly aggressive towards Mills towards the end; I thought if you're snapping at one of the nicest, most placid footballers I've ever come across at Dulwich, then something is really wrong!

There was a lot of niggly stuff and shirt pulling, agreed - I felt it was largely born out of desperation. I'll be rooting for Craig and hoping he keeps them up. I thought the three and a bit seasons we had under first Burnett and then him were really enjoyable and changed us from average, mid-table dross to a club that could push for the play offs and have a chance of promotion. Obviously that didn't occur under either of them, but I thought both gave us proof that we weren't doomed to rot in the Ryman South for all eternity.

Yeh, agreed. I thought they really started to fray after the 4th goal went in and looked like a group of players feeling the pressure. I saw their keeper getting fairly aggressive towards Mills towards the end; I thought if you're snapping at one of the nicest, most placid footballers I've ever come across at Dulwich, then something is really wrong!

There was a lot of niggly stuff and shirt pulling, agreed - I felt it was largely born out of desperation. I'll be rooting for Craig and hoping he keeps them up. I thought the three and a bit seasons we had under first Burnett and then him were really enjoyable and changed us from average, mid-table dross to a club that could push for the play offs and have a chance of promotion. Obviously that didn't occur under either of them, but I thought both gave us proof that we weren't doomed to rot in the Ryman South for all eternity.
I don't have a problem with Craig, and on the whole he did a decent job for us. His teams aren't great to watch if you don't support them, although I still had plenty of enjoyment at the time. I saw Cheshunt a couple of times against other sides before they were promoted, and after the second time I made a mental note to avoid them in future, then they bloody ended up in our division! I barely recognised any of the names in their team yesterday. Several of their better players from last season have stayed in National South with other clubs and it looks like he's had to rebuild with youngsters on a limited budget. The bottom line is 4 teams go down and there are others I'd rather keep for next season's fixture list.

Craig Edwards tips us to go up

He took Cheshunt up from 5th place in this division two years ago, and I don't think they hit the top 5 before April, so he knows what he's talking about. I still think we leak too many cheap goals though, which is a big disadvantage if we need to beat two of the best other sides away from home. However, 22 goals in our last 8 games is very impressive would equate to a club record 115 if sustained throughout a 42 match season.

Just watched the highlights. Great to see the goals flying in. Appreciate the work that goes into producing these

Would be good if the goals could be repeated, maybe slightly slowed down, as I always rewind each goal to appreciate it.

And it didn't really show in the highlights but I was surprised the floodlights didnt come on in the second half, it was a bit gloomy from where I was standing.

Just watched the highlights. Great to see the goals flying in. Appreciate the work that goes into producing these

Would be good if the goals could be repeated, maybe slightly slowed down, as I always rewind each goal to appreciate it.

And it didn't really show in the highlights but I was surprised the floodlights didnt come on in the second half, it was a bit gloomy from where I was standing.
It would also have been good to show the entire build up for our 4th goal. There were a couple more passes at the start not included, so it doesn't illustrate just how many players were involved in that move.

Back
Top Bottom