Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamburg - chat, photos and recommendations

Thimble Queen

Called away to another place
So we're going to Hamburg for a few days at the end of the month. We're seeing St Pauli and planning on checking the fischmarkt thing... Recommend us cool stuff bars, clubs, markets, food and other stuff!

Thanks!

Go for a walk round the Speicherstadt

0-9001-15.jpg

Reading 'Inferno, The Devastation of Hamburg, 1943' by Keith Lowe is a prerequisite of any trip to Hamburg.

Anyway - only time I went was 1984, and apparently its been largely rebuilt since then. I seem to remember it has a good TV tower like all good German cities.

Say hello to my kids while you're there ;)

My recommendation for a good night out is, sleep Saturday afternoon, get out on to the Reeperbahn at about 22:00 to 23:00 work your way through as many of the clubs, theaters and pubs as possible Off the top of my head, Grosse Freiheit 36, Schmidt's Tivoli, Fabrik (OK not on the Reeperbahn but worth the trip if they have a good programm), if you want visit one of the sex shows have a great time until 05:00 and then set off for the Fischmarkt and carry on there listening to live music, drinking beer, eating fish bread buns or labskaus and wandering around listening to the sounds of the market until about 10:00 on Sunday. I've done this a few times and enjoyed it every time.

some really good restraunts in HH

if you like steak there is an agentinian steakhouse just off the main square called estancia.

there is also a really good barzillian restraunt and a decent japanese one near alter wall.

some really good restraunts in HH

if you like steak there is an agentinian steakhouse just off the main square called estancia.

there is also a really good barzillian restraunt and a decent japanese one near alter wall.
Argentinian? Brazillian? Japanese?

Bloody hell what's wrong with a good smoked eel or a plate of Labskaus? :mad:;)

@ op there is often something going on in the main square at weekends too. check out if anything is planned for when you go. I used to love the annual christmas fair.

I second AJ- Miniatur is fabulous. Utterly, utterly barking.

Also good is a boat trip on the Binnenalster- at the end furthest away from the pier, there are all the embassy buildings, which are stunning. Planten un Bloomen park is nice for a wander- the old botanical garden is mostly in greenhouses so is a nice nature walk. Reeperbahn is a bit meh- the properly gritty and slightly wild red light district has now become a sort of grubby sex theme park for stag dos.... But there are some good, cool bars starting to pop up. The harbour promenade is cool- near the Speicherstadt. In fact the whole Hafencity is nice. Great shops and bars, architecture, and stupid numbers of v pretty bridges.

One thing to keep your eye out for as you wander round is bomb damage- lots of the old buildings have been restored, but using a different style or brick so you can see the scale of the devastation.

What else.... Time out has some good bar/restaurant recommendations. The hamburg city guide is, IMO, the best one

Mitte (near the Binnenalster) has some v posh shopping streets. V v well heeled but not exactly atmospheric, IMO. Some of the churches are quite cool- one of them- St Michael's I think but don't quote me- has an annual biker's service, and there are some interesting photos in the vestry. Nice building too

I'm well up for boats and bridges. Love European city breaks in the winter time. So atmospheric and pretty.

Does anyone know if theres anywhere to do outdoor iceskating? I'm so getting my Christmas on!

I'm well up for boats and bridges. Love European city breaks in the winter time. So atmospheric and pretty.

Does anyone know if theres anywhere to do outdoor iceskating? I'm so getting my Christmas on!
oh, yes, there are a couple.. one is near the BinnenAlster, by the shopping centre. Let me ping my client and ask for info- she is obsessed with skating...

If you like boats and bridges, Hamburg will be heaven :)

e2A- she says the largest one is in the Planten un Bloomen park

oh, yes, there are a couple.. one is near the BinnenAlster, by the shopping centre. Let me ping my client and ask for info- she is obsessed with skating...

If you like boats and bridges, Hamburg will be heaven :)

e2A- she says the largest one is in the Planten un Bloomen park

Great thanks so much!

I'm getting quite excited about this now :)

I'm waiting for Spargelzeit.... asparagus season. A big deal in Hamburg... :)
Pfft the best Spargel is from the Lueneburger Heide, especially around Uelzen, the stuff you get in Hamburg is already too old ;)

Mmmm happy memories of buying Spargel (and brilliant new potatoes, its all down to the fertile but sandy soil) from stands at the side of the road next to the fields they were grown in (I lived in the Lueneburger Heide for about 17 years btw)

Pfft the best Spargel is from the Lueneburger Heide, especially around Uelzen, the stuff you get in Hamburg is already too old ;)

Mmmm happy memories of buying Spargel (and brilliant new potatoes, its all down to the fertile but sandy soil) from stands at the side of the road next to the fields they were grown in (I lived in the Lueneburger Heide for about 17 years btw)
Fabulous place. I accidentally went to lubeck once (early days of budget airlines:facepalm:) and completely fell for it. That is now where I tend to go :D

some things to be aware of in HH

do not cross the main roads unless you are at a proper crossing place. Some of the police are really anal about this. learn what the amber light that is on its own on the corner of roads is for. it means you can cross and the cars should stop to let you. they cant really do pizza for shit.. if its still going have the meat feast from happy croque (its like a toasted baggettute thing) its wil harden your arteries in 40 seconds flat but is lush.

avoid javer
drink wheat beer
have a curry wurst and pretzl

visit the big department stores, even if you dont buy anything they are worth wandering about for a bit

there is a a restraunt just off alter wall that you cook your own meat at the table on a hot stone at. its really nice cant remember its name sadly

Back
Top Bottom