Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

grass for my garden

joustmaster

offcumdun
Anyone know owt much about grass? I'd like a lawn but I think I might have to buy one.

Last summer the garden was waist deep with evil looking dead bushes and fucked up weeds. Me and the lady cut it all down and dug out some flower beds at the side, which now have some flowers and stuff in them.

The lawn was non existent though cos the soil is full of crap and had been covered in weeds and madness for years. I dug it all over and removed loads of rocks, bricks, metal, lego, toy Batmans heads, glass, lighters, bags etc. But its still looking a bit rough.

Last week I chucked a load of seed on it but its not looking like its interested in growing so far.

What are my options? I don't really know much about gardening. Should I just buy a load of new soil and some turf (like kanda did his front room with during the football) or what?

Did you prick or fork the lawn before putting the seed down?

If not, this may explain why it has not taken.

Did you prick or fork the lawn before putting the seed down?

If not, this may explain why it has not taken.

I dug it over with one of those serious looking forks, then raked it with two different rakes.

The soil still has a lot of stone and brick and slate in it.

Drought. It's why it tends to be easier to sow lawns in the autumn if you can manage it.

It'll be a race between the weather and the birds - but it'll probably come together eventually ...

There is a flymo thing with plastic string that whips the grass down. It seemed to manage before when I was destroying the weeds.

The lack of rain wont have helped.

If you can afford it you're better off buying some turf - quicker and better, but potentially expensive. No idea how big your lawn is though..?

I was told lawn seed needs 15C to grow, has it been that for long enough yet? I think the guy was an ex groundskeeper.

Its behind a terraced house. I will measure it tomorrow.

I guess I need soil and turf? Or can I just stick turf down?

For a reasonable sized area, hire a decent rotavator. Turn the soil over as much as you can, and remove as much of the debris as possible. Dig in loads of compost mixed with some sand. Level it with a rake. Put down some decent turfs, tread them down really well, and water like hell for a couple of weeks.

For a reasonable sized area, hire a decent rotavator. Turn the soil over as much as you can, and remove as much of the debris as possible. Dig in loads of compost mixed with some sand. Level it with a rake. Put down some decent turfs, tread them down really well, and water like hell for a couple of weeks.
I'm loving the idea of hiring a power tool..

Try covering the seed with compost, add some feed like growmore and then water it very day. In this heat it should germinate with moisture and darkness.

Try covering the seed with compost, add some feed like growmore and then water it very day. In this heat it should germinate with moisture and darkness.

I would leave out the growmore myself - the seed doesn't need fertiliser to germinate and it could make things worse.
Plenty of time to feed later.

I dug it over with one of those serious looking forks, then raked it with two different rakes.

The soil still has a lot of stone and brick and slate in it.

You need to get the stone/brick/slate out, or you'll get 'crop marks' where those are located and the grass will be different due to the differential moisture content over the stone/brick/slate, and your lawn won't look so good.

In my neighbour's garden, the grass over the bricks/stone/slate she left in the ground is taller and greener than the surrounding grass, because the soil here is very sandy and free-draining, so the areas where the brick/stone/slate are retain more moisture.

Attachments

• Picture 193.jpg
    Picture 193.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 5
plus you will need to water it

I am forever repairing patches her due to the dogs and its got to be watered. The stuff I put down a week ago btw hasnt done anything yet either if thats any help bu I dont normally expect to see anything for about 2 weeks

I have been watering it daily. I will leave it a bit longer and wait.

Its near iimpossible to remove all the rocks from it though. Its got too much in there! I'm not so bothered about it looking perfect though.

laying a lawn from scratch just takes time: i think mine took about 3 or 4 weeks before the grass became noticeably more than a "bum fluff" kind of a covering. Three years later, it's settling in nicely, and beginning to look like the lawn turf that you can buy.

the trick (once it's grown sufficiently) is to cut it as frequently as possible, as that encourages the grass to grow more.

laying a lawn from scratch just takes time: i think mine took about 3 or 4 weeks before the grass became noticeably more than a "bum fluff" kind of a covering. Three years later, it's settling in nicely, and beginning to look like the lawn turf that you can buy.

the trick (once it's grown sufficiently) is to cut it as frequently as possible, as that encourages the grass to grow more.

Three years is a long time! That's why I prefer turfing it. A top quality lawn, in a weekend.

You do know to cut in different directions if you're trying to encourage even growth don't you?? Ie from the top to bottom one cut then from side to side next cut.

I managed to make it grow. I didn't get turf in the end, but I bought a load more seed, and watered the shit out of it.
5809227492_8a79b0ff57.jpg

Hasn't worked properly under that tree on the left though

I am leaving it for a few more weeks for it to settle in more, before I cut it. I am not being lazy.. honest.

And if i bought a goat I would probably end up barbecuing it

Not being funny but a flymo might not be good for it if it's new grass. You'd be better with a proper mower.

Back
Top Bottom