Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grand Master Flash - All Hail!

such an incredible landmark record.....beyond influential.... and the dj skills on this , even your best DMC champ now would struggle to put together anything as tight and listenable.....
I dont think people realise it was a recorded live take, two turntables and a few records cut up,

The wiki page is a really good and thorough one, worth a read

Flash recorded "Wheels of Steel" live over three hours, during a four-day break from touring. It took the producer "two mixers and between 10 and 15 takes to get it right ... And whenever I'd mess up I would just refuse to punch. I would just go back to the beginning."

Flash says of the track: "I did that live in the studio, but to get it locked took a day or two. Maybe I'd set the cue down too soon and have to stop and go back all over. Or I might cue in too late. Too late, too soon. If you listen to it, even down to the spaces where there's no music, where it pauses and then comes in, the timing is absolutely perfect."

such an incredible landmark record.....beyond influential.... and the dj skills on this , even your best DMC champ now would struggle to put together anything as tight and listenable.....
I dont think people realise it was a recorded live take, two turntables and a few records cut up,

The wiki page is a really good and thorough one, worth a read

Flash recorded "Wheels of Steel" live over three hours, during a four-day break from touring. It took the producer "two mixers and between 10 and 15 takes to get it right ... And whenever I'd mess up I would just refuse to punch. I would just go back to the beginning."

Flash says of the track: "I did that live in the studio, but to get it locked took a day or two. Maybe I'd set the cue down too soon and have to stop and go back all over. Or I might cue in too late. Too late, too soon. If you listen to it, even down to the spaces where there's no music, where it pauses and then comes in, the timing is absolutely perfect."
I remember the first time I heard that, I didn't really understand what was going on but really liked it. I even took my ghetto blaster to school so I could play it in a music lesson. Everyone, including the teacher, loved it.

And she didn't faint ;)

I remember the first time I heard that, I didn't really understand what was going on but really liked it. I even took my ghetto blaster to school so I could play it in a music lesson. Everyone, including the teacher, loved it.

And she didn't faint ;)
hah i remember early 80s hip hop hitting infants school :D getting that scratching sound by scratching our plastic anoraks! 7 year old body popping :D

Adventures includes this

which has got a young Angie (Wish I DIdnt Miss You Any More) Stone rapping on it!

Back
Top Bottom