Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grammar Question.

Dandred

Mmmmm Beer!
1704624211676.png

I know that rank is the wrong answer here, but can anyone explain why?

The comparison give here, makes it seem that rank would be right, I know it isn't. Is it to do with a possessive pronoun not being used?

1704624296931.png

Rank means to give an abstract rating of something relative to other things. You can rank on importance to you, which ends up meaning something quite similar to prioritise, but you can also rank in terms of anything (height, stickiness, pleasant fragrance, etc). Prioritise carries with it the meaning of importance to you, and your subsequent focus and intention, which rank does not.

E2A - I don't think a possessive pronoun really makes much difference.

Last edited:
To rank, the verb in which assigning position is done, implies more than two items being assigned position. Furthermore, the reason for the ranking still has to be given. To prioritize, in this context, means to assign priority, so the verb already contains the reason for the positioning: urgency, importance. To rank the relative urgency or importance of three or more items has a word that carries all that meaning: prioritize. To choose between two items for relative urgency or importance also has a word that carries all of that meaning: prioritize.

Reactions: Sue
Rank means to give an abstract rating of something relative to other things. You can rank on importance to you, which ends up meaning something quite similar to prioritise, but you can also rank in terms of anything (height, stickiness, pleasant fragrance, etc). Prioritise carries with it the meaning of importance to you, and your subsequent focus and intention, which rank does not.

I think it does though, if I changed the sentence to "Employees should be given the opportunity to rank their family over work." It seems more acceptable. Even though it doesn't quite seen right to me.

I'm well aware of what they mean, what I'm actually asking is why rank doesn't work in the example given.

Surely prioritize implies required action.

Ranking is just passive.

In your example, any normal company (except I fear you're in Korea?) might expect an employee to rank their family above work. It's just a list. But to be given the opportunity (by the company) to prioritize family over work implies action, when necessary.

Last edited:

Ranking is just passive.

In your example, any normal company (except I fear you're in Korea?) might expect an employee to rank their family above work. It's just a list. But to be given the opportunity (by the company) to prioritize family over work implies action, when necessary.
That's what I was about to say.

You can rank a list of films in order of preference but don't have to watch the top ranking film. They don't even need to be films you'd want to watch.

Reactions: Sue

Ranking is just passive.

It's from a book published by Oxford, called New English File Advanced Plus.

Ranking is just passive.

I like that explanation, but is ranking really passive, it is subjective and requires the action of thought, two people might not rank the same thing in order but they have both gone through the same active process of thinking about it.

I like that explanation, but is ranking really passive, it is subjective and requires the action of thought, two people might not rank the same thing in order but they have both gone through the same active process of thinking about it.

It's something that requires more than thought. It requires putting thinking into being, abstract into reality, usually by conscious action. Practical, usually physical actions and reactions that have consequences.

A bit more than the action of thought, which is easily deemed passive in comparison.

Rank is an order of importance.

Prioritize is an order of importance to do.

Last edited:
Fuck this is playing on my mind now, sodding semantics.

OK. You can rank activities just as you can rank anything, eg 'how do you enjoy spending your time, rank the following in order of preference:
  • working
  • gaming
  • eating
  • masturbating
  • being high on drugs
  • watching TV

But on any specific day you'd prioritize these based on some criterion or other, but that might not be in order of how much you generally enjoy each one (ie. the ranking and the prioritization might differ)

Dandred Feel free to quote this explanation verbatim in class :D

Fuck this is playing on my mind now, sodding semantics.

OK. You can rank activities just as you can rank anything, eg 'how do you enjoy spending your time, rank the following in order of preference:
  • working
  • gaming
  • eating
  • masturbating
  • being high on drugs
  • watching TV

But on any specific day you'd prioritize these based on some criterion or other, but that might not be in order of how much you generally enjoy each one (ie. the ranking and the prioritization might differ)

Dandred Feel free to quote this explanation verbatim in class :D
It's only a small class, but when I can't explain something to myself I get annoyed.

You rank preferences - teams, bands, films, foods etc. and prioritize actions, eg. spending time with family or at work
You just contradicted the right answer in the question.

I'm not asking for the definitions of the terms, I am specifically asking why one is wrong.

Like a rule, or a common usage which can be explained.

View attachment 407404

I know that rank is the wrong answer here, but can anyone explain why?

'prior' is a Latin comparative adjective. to the extent that etymologies stick to their words, even for those who don;t know the etymologies, 'prioritize' suggests a choice of two. 'rank' would suggest a choice of more than two.

Back
Top Bottom