Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Government to ban mass gatherings, give police extras powers

I suppose it's not surprising and really we must be the ones that hold them to account that these powers are used appropriately. Because inevitably there will be future mistakes and so on. But as it stands in containing/delaying/handling the virus I think it's a fairly inevitable development.

Presume the detain thing is for people who are ill or likely ill but just not willing to self isolate, be tested etc. And if it's for the good of public health and the general population, any goverment is going to have to consider these measures.

However, in Spain "Sánchez said the cabinet would on Saturday activate article 116 of the constitution, allowing it to limit the movement of people and vehicles, requisition goods, take over factories and businesses and ration the consumption of basic items." I think we certainly need this here too, and is definitely something progressive forces should be pushing for, rather than any bleating about 'the economy' out of context.

Last edited:
Presume the detain thing is for people who are ill or likely ill but just not willing to self isolate, be tested etc. And if it's for the good of public health and the general population, any goverment is going to have to consider these measures.

I expect that's the case, as there's been reports of people refusing to self isolate in Italy, and going onto to infect others, they are now being threaten with charges ranging from 'causing injury' to 'murder', with up to 21 years in prison.

Screenshot_2020-03-14-07-18-50.png
When the inevitable happens. Little chance of money back for travel either if the phone calls I made yesterday are anything to go by. Fair cancellation though as it would tear through the Islands and there is no hospital.

I see the virus has spread disproportionately among politicians, who seem to be cavalier about their infecting people. Because of this medical authorities demand the isolation of all members of the house of lords, commons, privy councillors and councillors at every level, initially on the Isle of man but subsequently at a purpose-built facility at the auld naval base at Scapa flow

If they're going to ban assemblies of 500+ people how does hmg propose parliament will meet, there being 650 mps and more Lords?

That was just brought up on the news, "No answers, but something that will have to be thought of" was the response. TBH I can see anything happening in the coming months now, so fuck knows, Parliament suspended?

From the Telegraph

View attachment 201668

Don't think this is much to do with 'public health' tbh

TBF it is probably more them doing their usual trick of announcing tough new measures that don't actually go beyond existing legislation in an attempt to grab headlines instead of actually doing anything, like the legal protections for homeowners who kill burglars thing that comes back every couple of years.

Police can already detain people with a notifiable disease (which this is) for them to be treated under the Public Health (Control of Diseases) Act; all they'd need is a warrant and a doctor to give the ok. The problem is that there is - and still would be under these tough new measures - very few places to take them to, given that hospitals are going to absolutely not want someone to come in with this disease who isn't seriously ill as it is (never mind with this disease and having to be detained for up to a couple of weeks) and they cannot go to custody.

TBF it is probably more them doing their usual trick of announcing tough new measures that don't actually go beyond existing legislation in an attempt to grab headlines instead of actually doing anything, like the legal protections for homeowners who kill burglars thing that comes back every couple of years.

Police can already detain people with a notifiable disease (which this is) for them to be treated under the Public Health (Control of Diseases) Act; all they'd need is a warrant and a doctor to give the ok. The problem is that there is - and still would be under these tough new measures - very few places to take them to, given that hospitals are going to absolutely not want someone to come in with this disease who isn't seriously ill as it is (never mind with this disease and having to be detained for up to a couple of weeks) and they cannot go to custody.
Possibly, but I'd be wary of interpreting anything as 'usual' during these anything but usual times.

Possibly, but I'd be wary of interpreting anything as 'usual' during these anything but usual times.

Indeed, but the time to worry there would be when they start to talk about / order the construction of places for those people to be taken to (as opposed to increased hospital space).

Indeed, but the time to worry there would be when they start to talk about / order the construction of places for those people to be taken to (as opposed to increased hospital space).
From the Mirror...

1584184152167.png

Looks like guilt could amount to being a) human & b) alive.

whi is going to look after those who are already sick, chronically ill, contract C19, many are losing their carers, i have had reports of a number going home to respective countries, it is near impossible to get new carers, this is a huge issue and Johnson has hardly mentioned it.

whi is going to look after those who are already sick, chronically ill, contract C19, many are losing their carers, i have had reports of a number going home to respective countries, it is near impossible to get new carers, this is a huge issue and Johnson has hardly mentioned it.
Could you link that pls to the issue of mass gatherings being banned? Not sure of the connection

I see the virus has spread disproportionately among politicians, who seem to be cavalier about their infecting people. Because of this medical authorities demand the isolation of all members of the house of lords, commons, privy councillors and councillors at every level, initially on the Isle of man but subsequently at a purpose-built facility at the auld naval base at Scapa flow
Scapa flow? You touchy feeley soft liberal. Grytviken Still has some corrugated iron sheds and should contain the virus nicely.

Scapa flow? You touchy feeley soft liberal. Grytviken Still has some corrugated iron sheds and should contain the virus nicely.
I share the concern, raised with me by email by David Attenborough, that tests must be done before the former people become penguin feed, to ensure coronavirus wouldn't be passed on by eating. Once this screening has occurred the former people will travel by ship to the south atlantic industrial zone

Oh yeah. Make the old bill responsible for leading on a medical response to paper over the cracks in an underfunded NHS. Coppers can diagnose a complex interaction of symptoms based on a half hour PowerPoint presentation and police cells are the ideal place to safely make clinical interventions. Why wouldn’t this model work for COVID 19? After all, it works so well for mental ill health....

Back
Top Bottom