Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google: 'Someone has your password' warning

I got one of these yesterday when I was helping someone sort out a problem with their computer, I logged-in to my gmail account remotely (using teamviewer) from their computer and with-in seconds got this email.

New sign-in from Firefox on Windows
Hi ********,Your Google Account ***************@gmail.com was just used to sign in from Firefox on Windows.

Windows
Thursday, August 4, 2016 3:49 PM (Brasilia Standard Time)
Fortaleza - State of Ceará, Brazil*
Firefox

Don't recognize this activity?
Review your recently used devices now.

Why are we sending this? We take security very seriously and we want to keep you in the loop on important actions in your account.
We were unable to determine whether you have used this browser or device with your account before. This can happen when you sign in for the first time on a new computer, phone or browser, when you use your browser's incognito or private browsing mode or clear your cookies, or when somebody else is accessing your account.

Best,
The Google Accounts team

That's normal, they send these when you sign-in from a new location/machine.
W4i1Z5a.png

This is fucking weird. So I logged into the Ritzy's free wi-fi again and once again that 'Minnie' tablet appeared in my Google activity around the same time as I logged in. I removed access again, but WTF is going on?

minnie
Last synced: Today at 5:16 PM (29 minutes ago)

Lost this device?

Last location used

United Kingdom
-
29 minutes ago

Even if you have a good password setup, have to be careful connecting to unsecure public wifi. I think that's an easy way for hackers to listen to all that traffic. Another scam is people setting up wifi names that mimic trusted ones, so be careful if possible.

Even if you have a good password setup, have to be careful connecting to unsecure public wifi. I think that's an easy way for hackers to listen to all that traffic. Another scam is people setting up wifi names that mimic trusted ones, so be careful if possible.
This is fucking weird. So I logged into the Ritzy's free wi-fi again and once again that 'Minnie' tablet appeared in my Google activity around the same time as I logged in. I removed access again, but WTF is going on?

I'd stop using the ritzys wifi, or use a VPN while I was there.

They might be doing something with your cookies.

Alex

I wouldn't change your passwords while you are on public wi-fi, or log on to your bank account etc.

Public wi-fi is notoriously easy to snoop on and intercept.

eta: use a vpn as alex_ mentions.

Like a couple people have mentioned, the 2 step verification is significantly helpful. I activated it for my Gmail after I was searching through my history and saw that some Android mobile had downloaded and was using about 30 various games. I've been part of the iPhone sheeple for 4 years so far, so it definitely wasn't me. So I ended up researching what needs to be done to "secure" the account better, and I've put on the 2 step verification. Since then, I've acquired an Android tablet (Verizon Elipsis or something like that) and have made sure I'm properly registered with it (and I still monitor everything).

You always have to be careful on public wifi with things regardless of the situation. When I used to frequent a a specific American chain "bakery" (Panera Bread), their wifi wouldn't allow me to access certain websites because they put a blocker on it from their end. It's nice, but sometimes it blocked innocent sites.

Good luck to anyone trying to sort out their Gmail stuff! Glad you figured out the issue, editor

Back
Top Bottom