Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google: 'Someone has your password' warning

editor

hiraethified
I got this email today and it seems to have come from Google but I'm a bit baffled. It's warning me of a log in attempt at an urban75 address (that forwards to my gmail account) but the link doesn't list any devices that have been used at the time. AFAIK, I haven't got a Google log in with the info@ address.

Someone has your password
Hi,
Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your Google Account info@urban75.com.
Details:
Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:02 AM (GMT)
Google stopped this sign-in attempt, but you should review your recently used devices:

REVIEW YOUR DEVICES NOW
Best,
The Google Accounts team
Any ideas?

Lazy Llama

enter your account directly and change the password from there. Don't use the link provided, just to be safe. Looks legit however

enter your account directly and change the password from there. Don't use the link provided, just to be safe. Looks legit however
I don't think I have a password for Google with that email address though... My main one is very hard to crack. I have 2 step verification set as well.

There must be an account with that name, maybe someone else set it up? If you do a "Forgot Password" on the login screen for that account, it should let you reset the password.
Link looks legit, and they do send those emails.

weird, maybe someone else has set it up and put in your email as the recovery address?

I keep getting "someone has just logged into your twitter account" from places around the world emails too

I got one of these yesterday when I was helping someone sort out a problem with their computer, I logged-in to my gmail account remotely (using teamviewer) from their computer and with-in seconds got this email.

New sign-in from Firefox on Windows
Hi ********,Your Google Account ***************@gmail.com was just used to sign in from Firefox on Windows.

Windows
Thursday, August 4, 2016 3:49 PM (Brasilia Standard Time)
Fortaleza - State of Ceará, Brazil*
Firefox

Don't recognize this activity?
Review your recently used devices now.

Why are we sending this? We take security very seriously and we want to keep you in the loop on important actions in your account.
We were unable to determine whether you have used this browser or device with your account before. This can happen when you sign in for the first time on a new computer, phone or browser, when you use your browser's incognito or private browsing mode or clear your cookies, or when somebody else is accessing your account.

Best,
The Google Accounts team

I got one of these yesterday when I was helping someone sort out a problem with their computer, I logged-in to my gmail account remotely (using teamviewer) from their computer and with-in seconds got this email.

New sign-in from Firefox on Windows
Hi ********,Your Google Account ***************@gmail.com was just used to sign in from Firefox on Windows.

Windows
Thursday, August 4, 2016 3:49 PM (Brasilia Standard Time)
Fortaleza - State of Ceará, Brazil*
Firefox

Don't recognize this activity?
Review your recently used devices now.

Why are we sending this? We take security very seriously and we want to keep you in the loop on important actions in your account.
We were unable to determine whether you have used this browser or device with your account before. This can happen when you sign in for the first time on a new computer, phone or browser, when you use your browser's incognito or private browsing mode or clear your cookies, or when somebody else is accessing your account.

Best,
The Google Accounts team
were you in Brazil?

I got the gmail login email before, but when it was me that logged in on someone else's machine which explained it.

I have however every so often gotten a paypal email with "account activity" or something in the title. As I rarely use paypal these days it concerns me so I go and log into paypal in the normal way (not via the email) and confirm that there has been no activity.

I get similar messages when I've cleared an app on my phone or tablet or done a clean up on my lappy and it's deleted cookies.

hackers got into a mates Facebook account renamed him "Facebook security", and sent a phishing message to all his contacts.

The weird part is the guys name is actually "Alias" (hippie parents) so he had to message everyone "hi this is Alias someone has hacked my account and renamed it".

I got another one. They make me feel really uncomfortable.

5.jpg

Once again, the password is really, really complicated so I can't work out how the hell they may have got it...

I've had this too recently. Received emails and text messages from Google and Microsoft about unauthorized logins to my accounts.

This morning I also received an email from Playstation to verify a password change, even though I haven't logged into my Playstation account in years.

Fuckers :( :mad:

I got a similar one from Google review saying it had stopped a log in from Vietnam. When I looked at my account I noticed in my devices a Mac and A Samsung which weren't mine and can't remember ever having accessed my account from a Mac , they were both located in Sweden. Changed the password .

If you haven't already switch on 2 factor authentication - very easy to use, makes things much more secure and you can have some backup codes incase you get caught without battery on your phone.

If this is genuine and the password has been compromised for a second time I'd be doing a through check of my devices for malware such as keyloggers and also making sure there is nothing like a password manager or logins elsewhere (I'm sure google have been getting cheeky with logging me into chrome without making it clear what's happening) that have been compromised meaning your new pw gets lost.

I had one of these about a year ago, someone in the Ukraine had apparently tried to access my Gmail. I changed my Gmail password and a couple of others. Never heard anymore or had any problems.

For some reason I also changed by debit card pin. but I'd been meaning to do it for a while and was stood about 10 ft from a cash point when I got the email from Google.

Back
Top Bottom