Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Good Space games?

Citizen66

splash the cistern
I feel a space game is missing from my arsenal. Looking forward to Elite being released but what could tide me over until then?

I know there's EVE but perhaps that's too much of a time sink. What other decent ones are out there?

X: Beyond the Frontier?

I think x3 terrain conflict is the most recent. There is supposed to be a new one out but not sure it's come yet.

Xcom is very slick and shiny. Very good for a play through. I was a bit bored after that though.

Is it just any game set in space?

I was going to mention Elite as it is the only space game I can remember playing. I couldn't do it though, I couldn't even dock so I don't think I am going to be too qualified to give tip top advice on this thread.

I'd probably quite like to while away a few hours on a computer game but they are all too damn hard. I would say 'these days' but I think they might have always been. I used to have to play them all day as part of my job once and I was still terrible.

There was one level on this game, I think it was the gettaway 2? It was nice and easy and I would have liked to have played it again, but it wouldn't let me go back, I had to move on to another level that I couldn't do.
There should be a game where you are invincible and the controls are easy but make you look like your little man on screen is doing something excellent.

I'd probably quite like to while away a few hours on a computer game but they are all too damn hard. I would say 'these days' but I think they might have always been. I used to have to play them all day as part of my job once and I was still terrible.

There was one level on this game, I think it was the gettaway 2? It was nice and easy and I would have liked to have played it again, but it wouldn't let me go back, I had to move on to another level that I couldn't do.
There should be a game where you are invincible and the controls are easy but make you look like your little man on screen is doing something excellent.

If you have a computer instead of a console it's called "God Mode."

ATOMIC SUPLEX said:
I'd probably quite like to while away a few hours on a computer game but they are all too damn hard. I would say 'these days' but I think they might have always been.

Most of them aren't that hard nowadays. They were punishing in the 80s but the ethos changed a while back, possibly due to more memory being available, to games being a more rewarding experience.

I love X3: Terran Conflict. Really well thought out game, plenty of stuff to do in terms of missions as well as plenty of sandbox, loads of different ships and weaponry, plenty of trading and building your own space stations/factory complexes, combat and exploration.

The initial learning curve is almost vertical mind you so be prepared to be baffled and frustrated at first (and looking for tutorials on youtube!), but it's a very rewarding game once you learn the basics.

Edit to add: The combat in X3:TC is 'proper' with you in control, you can use joystick for exploration and combat and keyboard/mouse for trading and building and menu navigation if you wish. The game also has built in multi-monitor support, so you can easily have the view from your ship on one monitor and maps/menus etc. on another, if you have more than one monitor. It's not necessary though, that's just the cherry on top - you won't be hampered by just using a joystick (or kb+m) and one monitor. And you can also build up a fleet, have them on carriers or fly behind you, and command them into action alongside you for large battles - in that way it manages to combine being in the thick of the action in your own ship, with the tactics of engaging in large multi-ship battles and commanding a fleet - and you can choose to be piloting any of the ships that you own, from the smallest fighter/scout ship, to a large destroyer. It really is a superb game, if you're prepared to sink in a bit of time to learn it.

I've been looking for some gameplay footage on youtube and am now itching to play it again, it's just such a bloody good game! I am determined to finish my current game of Skyrim first though.

Attacking one big bastard enemy ship (can't hear the voiceover myself so don't know what was being said):

You're not missing much, just him saying he's fucked. :D

Cool, I always make a point of saying "can't hear the voiceover" in case there is offensive language (racial or sexual orientation type slurs) that I wasn't aware of - I wouldn't knowingly post up anything that included that sort of comment. :)

Edit to add: I've been trying to find some "Let's Play" type stuff but most of it seems to be in German or involves "how to splatter your ship against the side of a station in the first few minutes by pretending you know how to dock manually" type gameplay!

Eve.

But it will consume you.

I think it depends what you're doing.

Sure, if you're in a famous corp that's defending an isolated outpost against impossible odds, then there's a kind of moral pressure not to let your mates down by slacking.

Deep w-space can be so hairy that you don't even undock without a balanced fleet. So again, there's a moral pressure to show up as often as possible to support your mates.

On the other hand, some nice laid-back pirate/hooligan gang in low-sec or NPC controlled 0.0 like Stain or Syndicate, or even in Faction Warfare, participation pressure isn't usually a big issue in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom