Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Good moisturiser for dry patches on face

Cloo

Approved by toads
After recovering from an allergic reaction to something used in a facial massage about a month ago I'm left with dry, slightly flaky patches on my cheeks, which are shown up by any foundation or similar. What's a good, gentle moisturiser to use to blitz that sort of dryness? My skin's quite sensitive and I've started to react to things in the last four years much more than I used to. Prepared to spend up to £30 on something if it'll last a bit, but also happy to use cheap as chips stuff!

Hard to say in some ways as you never know what might cause a reaction - I had a couple of nasty itchy puffy patches around my eyes recently :confused: one on the bag, one on the lid, never had anything like that before.

However, I've been using a Naturally Thinking lavender and geranium moisturiser for the last few months, along with Superdrug vit e eye cream, and that seems to have done the trick.

I have Simple Clear Skin Oil Balancing moisturiser. My skin is mega sensitive on my face and it's the first one which has actually had a positive rather than negative effect. It did a really good job of protecting my skin over the dramatically subzero winters we have here too. It's just from Boots, must have been cheap-ish.

Herb Farmacy do a beauty balm which is very gentle and soothing and can be used on it's own for dry bits or under moisturiser as a serum. I think it's around £20.
I use it as lip balm and for dry hands and sore snotty noses on kids, emergency hair serum... It's really nice stuff.

Not a moisturiser, but I find using Lush's Ultrabland cleanser followed by my usual moisturiser (Aveeno) leaves my skin a hell of a lot softer and more moisturised than using the moisturiser alone.

I've got large pores, I go greasy, but my skin flakes a lot if I don't use that. It's the oils in it, no doubt. The difference in softness is ridiculous, really.

I massage in the Ultrabland, then wipe it off with a warm, wet flannel. You can let it sit for a while first if you'd rather.

Diprobase.

No need for anything that tries to baffle you with its super duper formula developed by 'scientists'. It's cheap, you can buy a big tub of it for less than a tenner [or smaller tubes if it's only going to be for a few applications] and it'll moisturise as well, if not better, than far more expensive products.

Diprobase doesn't suit everyone (it did nothing for my son's eczema) but I agree with the general gist. Cloo you might want to take it to a GP first just to rule out things like rosacea, becauseif you've got that then commercial creams/facewashes etc will just make it worse

Diprobase is kind of the axle grease of skin products...... Does a job, but not exactly a pleasure to use :D

We use aveeno, zeroderm and diprobase on the boy.... weepiper what worked on yours? J has flared up again, and while I think it's just because he has a cold and when he's run down it does, it is pretty horrible. Edit- and Biddlybee

Cloo- I use Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream. Amazing stuff. Steal a squirt from a department store and try it- you'll be able to tell really quickly if it is going to help or not.

It could also be the heat Manter, that might make him flare at creases (behind knees and the elbows etc).

squidge luckily doesn't have eczema or particularly dry skin. I use hydromol ointment on my hands, and other dry patches but it is really greasy.

Aargh, Elena did say something about heat, but I always thought heat was good for skin conditions. God I hope he grows out of it.... Has just been the last 3 months, he used to be fine

We use aveeno, zeroderm and diprobase on the boy.... weepiper what worked on yours? J has flared up again, and while I think it's just because he has a cold and when he's run down it does, it is pretty horrible. Edit- and Biddlybee
Aveeno twice a day, Oilatum Junior in the bath (and only a bath once every four days or so, more often aggravated it when it was bad, and no soap) and Fucidin H prescription ointment when he got infected bits. Poor J, it's horrid.

Aargh, Elena did say something about heat, but I always thought heat was good for skin conditions. God I hope he grows out of it.... Has just been the last 3 months, he used to be fine
changed washing powder or fabric softener recently?

changed washing powder or fabric softener recently?
No....

At the risk of sounding a bit woo, it seems to have got worse now we are actively treating it. Ie it's magically cleared up by the hydrocortisone the Dr gave us, but as soon as we stop using it it flares up really badly.

Sun is good for the skin, heat not so much ime. Luckily you can get one without the other here, but this week has been quite warm.

Diprobase doesn't suit everyone (it did nothing for my son's eczema) but I agree with the general gist. Cloo you might want to take it to a GP first just to rule out things like rosacea, becauseif you've got that then commercial creams/facewashes etc will just make it worse
Yeah, my mate was slapping it on a dry patch which developed to eczema all over her face. I don't know if it made it worse but it certainly didn't help it

I haven't used Aveeno moisturiser but I love their body wash. Although with that and my oat bags for the bath, I smell like porridge. [emoji1]

J has flared up again, and while I think it's just because he has a cold and when he's run down it does, it is pretty horrible.
Well that would make sense to me as the immune system can be involved in eczema. My boy had an unusual form of eczema when he was a toddler, discoid stuff, and it wasn't until I identified that he was lactose intolerant and cut most dairy out of his diet that it vanished. This may not be the case for your little one but doing things to support his immune system might help.
I wonder if the topical steroid cream work by suppressing that immune system response? I've never used them on my boy or myself so I've never looked into it.
Hope it clears up for him soon, I bet its really irritating for him

edit: for immune system support you can try mushrooms, echinacea, vitamin c and probiotics.
(I may well be woo but I don't really care, I know the body responds to what you put into it. Woo and proud :D )

Strange as it sounds the very best thing for getting rid of my scaly forehead is actually eating chia seeds. Sprinkled on yoghurt, cereal or blended into smoothies. I still can't quite explain it but it works, might be the amount of omega 3 I suppose.

Well that would make sense to me as the immune system can be involved in eczema. My boy had an unusual form of eczema when he was a toddler, discoid stuff, and it wasn't until I identified that he was lactose intolerant and cut most dairy out of his diet that it vanished. This may not be the case for your little one but doing things to support his immune system might help.
I wonder if the topical steroid cream work by suppressing that immune system response? I've never used them on my boy or myself so I've never looked into it.
Hope it clears up for him soon, I bet its really irritating for him

edit: for immune system support you can try mushrooms, echinacea, vitamin c and probiotics.
(I may well be woo but I don't really care, I know the body responds to what you put into it. Woo and proud :D )
That is how they do work afaik.

Strange as it sounds the very best thing for getting rid of my scaly forehead is actually eating chia seeds. Sprinkled on yoghurt, cereal or blended into smoothies. I still can't quite explain it but it works, might be the amount of omega 3 I suppose.
They are also really good for gut health so that may well play a part in it

I've got sensitive skin too and dry in places on my face. I started using Weleda Skin Food a few weeks ago and hey presto, no more dry bits. Only need a teeny bit and it's a great primer for under foundation too.

That makes sense Biddlybee and ShiftyBagLady, about suppressing the immune response. Hmmm. May have to think about whether we do a longer term and less 'aggressive' approach.

If it flares up after using steroid creams it could be a form of rebound eczema - that's a well-known phenomena with those types of things, although I think it usually related to the stronger forms of them. It might be that some people are just more susceptible though, and I sympathise with anyone with manky skin. :(

I get dry flaky patches on my face sometimes and what I find helps is Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm - it's like gloopy milk, and it absorbs really well. It contains Vit E and chamomile. Fairly cheap too, and usually on offer in one of the high street chains.

I got Foderma serum for my 8 month old who has had a patch of eczema on his cheek for months. I've tried essential oils, lotions and cream and none of it helped to actually clear up the patch. I used foderma serum in the evening and by the morning it was like...what eczema? The dry, flaky, itchy redness is ALL gone. I'm super impressed. And, a little goes a long way so I anticipate this product will last for a while. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom