Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Good dewberry recipes

Sputwang

Spent an hour picking dewberries, they're probably going in a crumble but what else can be done with them. Only got a fifth through the patch but the strain on my legs got too much. Going back later in the week. Any suggestions welcome

Attachments

• IMG_20190817_185455724.jpg
    IMG_20190817_185455724.jpg
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 29
Kind of like blackberries but with a floral tinge like parma violets. The colour is lovely and they're really really soft. Unfortunately hard to pick without them exploding, difficult to see as they grow in the grass, and very labour intensive and tough on your legs and back as they are 4 to six inches off the ground. Still worth it once or twice a year though.

No, because this isn’t actually a thread for recipes is it? It’s a thread for showing off your foraging opportunities. Admit it.

Also dunno... I suppose if they’re best fresh you could do a tart with creme patissiere. Otherwise the standard blackberry recipes? Brandy? Or freeze them and wait until inspiration strikes. No good for recipes where you want them whole of course, but fine for any where they’re processed/cooked.

Crumble is the best possible option but dewberry fool/tart might be good; you could cook them very briefly into a coulis or puree, which could then be made into something sweet (ice cream, jam, sauce for ice cream) or savoury (splurged all over some meat or poultry grill maybe?); dewberry shortbread might be interesting.

Crumble is the best possible option but dewberry fool/tart might be good; you could cook them very briefly into a coulis or puree, which could then be made into something sweet (ice cream, jam, sauce for ice cream) or savoury (splurged all over some meat or poultry grill maybe?); dewberry shortbread might be interesting.
Cheers butt. I want to preserve the flavour (which is what parma violets want to be when they grow up) and the texture (little tiny bags of delicious juice) but it's so hard because they're so fragile. My best bet I think is to make them into a cobbler and save a few of the best to sprinkle just before serving. I've had thoughts about smashing some foxes glacier fruits in a mortar and pestle and rolling the best ones in it before serving. Might work :hmm:

South Wales mess maybe?

I’d still say a nice tart. This sort:

fruit_tarts_45402_16x9.jpg

Last edited:
South Wales mess maybe?

I’d still say a nice tart. This sort:

fruit_tarts_45402_16x9.jpg

Like Eton mess? Just served with a flagon of bow and 20 Lambert and butler on the side. (Don't tell them I just had stilton and caramelised onions on toast for tea. They'll burn me for a witch)

There’s an Austrian redcurrant tart, that you might be able to use them in. The berries are stirred into meringue and baked in the case.Can’t find the specific recipe I’ve used but there are loads of versions on internet.

There’s an Austrian redcurrant tart, that you might be able to use them in. The berries are stirred into meringue and baked in the case.Can’t find the specific recipe I’ve used but there are loads of versions on internet.
Cheers, will look into it. :)

Back
Top Bottom