Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Golfrate Properties sign on The Fridge

The whole 'knock this down and build flats' is not as straightforward as people think. Most boroughs are quite inflexible when it comes to 'change of use' applications. They are particularly inflexible when there has been employment use on site. Like for example I know of a guy who bought a four-storey Georgian terraced house in Clapham years and years ago (well before Clapham was trendy) and it had been used as offices since the 70's. He continued using it as offices, but then planned to move premises and wanted to simply re-establish the residential use. This building had obviously originally been built for a family, it is in an area of entirely residential buildings, it's in a conservation area. It made total sense to use it as a residential building again, but still Lambeth refused the application, because they wanted to retain employment use on site.

Another case, this guy bought an end of terrace house with a dis-used shop on the ground floor. This was part of a 'shopping parade'. But out of the 10 or so shops, most had closed down, nobody was interested in renting them, some were empty, the whole parade was struggling, I think only one of the shops was doing ok. The guy put an application in for change of use to residential, this was refused out-right, then he put a second application for change of use to offices. This was finally passed, but the guy had to provide tons of supporting paperwork to prove how this place was no longer viable as a shop, etc.

I wonder if they're anything to do with Future Brixton? *smells a rat*

I went to some of the FB meetings.As far as was said at the meetings 2 large property developers have been buying property in Brixton.

As we live in a free capitalist market :hmm: its not the Councils fault who buys property.

The logic of FB is to put in place planning guidelines to make sure any large property owners/developers plans have to be in the general interest of Brixton.Also that any future development follows a coherent plan for Brixton.Instead of piecemeal unconnected developments.

As far as I remember the Council is talking to different "stakeholders" including large property owners.The officers at the public consultation meetings werent that forthcoming about the results of any talks.

I assume Golfrate made a business decision to build up a property portfolio in Brixton.Its an investment that may pay off if Brixton becomes some trendy shopping centre for example.The interests of Golfrate arent necessarilly that of local people.The fact they own a lot of property will mean they will have a lot of clout.It will be interesting to see how the Council deals with them.

Gramsci, can I just say that I thought admitting to seeing The Fall on the Kurious Orange tour at the Fridge would have aged me, but seeing a film there!

My arthritic elbow doffs my Panama hat in your direction. I used to work with a bloke who remembered it as the ACE.

I went to some of the FB meetings.As far as was said at the meetings 2 large property developers have been buying property in Brixton.

As we live in a free capitalist market :hmm: its not the Councils fault who buys property.

The logic of FB is to put in place planning guidelines to make sure any large property owners/developers plans have to be in the general interest of Brixton.Also that any future development follows a coherent plan for Brixton.Instead of piecemeal unconnected developments.

As far as I remember the Council is talking to different "stakeholders" including large property owners.The officers at the public consultation meetings werent that forthcoming about the results of any talks.

I assume Golfrate made a business decision to build up a property portfolio in Brixton.Its an investment that may pay off if Brixton becomes some trendy shopping centre for example.The interests of Golfrate arent necessarilly that of local people.The fact they own a lot of property will mean they will have a lot of clout.It will be interesting to see how the Council deals with them.
interesting. I wonder if it worth doing a freedom of information request to Lambeth asking about any discussions they have had with Golfrate? The council must be in communication with them since they now own lots of Brixton and look to be trying to acquire lots more.

Gramsci, can I just say that I thought admitting to seeing The Fall on the Kurious Orange tour at the Fridge would have aged me, but seeing a film there!

My arthritic elbow doffs my Panama hat in your direction. I used to work with a bloke who remembered it as the ACE.

Well it was just before it became the Fridge.But i suppose it was a long time ago:eek:

It used to be the Brixton ABC, part of a national chain. I used to go and see late night martial arts movies there in the seventies.

Back
Top Bottom