Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Going to York-recommendations?

Perfect timing, looking to go towards end of Jan, prob on my todd, jump on a train straight out of work on a friday afternoon and prob come back on Sunday.

Where did you guys stop out of curiosity? Thou I'm looking at an airbnb near the train station so I'm not lugging crap around too much.
We were at the Student Castle accommodation which was lovely.

Some pics from my visit to York earlier this year

york-city-photos-11.jpg

york-city-photos-13.jpg

york-city-photos-17.jpg

york-city-photos-25.jpg

york-city-photos-42.jpg

York photos: architecture, city walls, river scenes, night views and the Monochrome Set

Some great photos there. It's very interesting (as someone from there) to see how it has changed.

Fossgate is very gentrified now. I remember it as a quite a run-down and quiet street, despite it being in the town centre. We used to go to a really good youth club in a cellar down there. What is now Cosy Club was a furniture shop for years (after being a cinema, of course).

The Crescent Club sounds good. I almost made it there the last but one time I was up, to a music festival my sister and mates were going to, but it had sold out. Apparently it was absolutely rammed and very sweaty, which is good news for the club! I ended up going to a friend's birthday do instead so it all worked out.

Going up on Saturday, just going to be a day trip now as train prices were unfortunately too expensive compared with the convenience of just putting a bit of fuel in the car. Forecast is looking dry so that's a good start. Loads of good info on this thread already.

Any locals aware of anything going on this weekend I should be aware of that may hinder my efforts?

Controversial maybe, but any recommendations on a good place to park that isn't going to cost a fortune to be there all day? These any good: York Park & Ride | i-Travel York

Sweet Meiga Do you still live in York?

I do, and I'm still loving it!

Lots of great stuff on this thread. Just to add, I would recommend a visit to York Minster and its absolutely brilliant Undercroft Museum.

cybershot Are you aware of the York Residents' Festival happening this coming weekend? residents-festival18.aspx
This will mean that some attractions, such as the Jorvik Viking Centre, will be rather crowded. Apart from that, I'm sure you are going to have a great time in York!

cybershot Are you aware of the York Residents' Festival happening this coming weekend? residents-festival18.aspx
This will mean that some attractions, such as the Jorvik Viking Centre, will be rather crowded. Apart from that, I'm sure you are going to have a great time in York!

Nope, I wasn't aware of that. I may postpone until the following weekend then if such places are going to more crowded than normal this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

York Urbs!

Can you recommend me a ghost/history tour for Friday night in York?

We're going up for the Viking festival thing, sans children - so, you know, hopefully a bit of sex - and we fancied seeing the city by night and eating somewhere that doesn't serve chicken nuggets...

Cheers m'dears.

I still haven’t been as avoided the ‘residents festival’ and weekends since have been awful weather wise. This weekend looks good. How busy is this ‘Viking festival’ likely to be??

It was pretty rammed, it was very good, but there were good sized queues to get into the yurt and the Viking shopping tent thing. There were also queues to get in the Harry Potter shops in the Shambles, and the line to get in Jorvik centre was about 50m long.

The procession from the minster down to parliament Street was very good, infact the whole weekend was good - I also found another of York's treasures: Holy Trinity Church, which is beautiful, interesting, and (today) was full of viking craft stuff.

We ate at the Three Tuns on Coppergate, which was fantastic (and two mains, two starters, and drinks for £30), and the food court in the Shambles Market Square.

Yep. I went today too and had pretty much same experience as you in regards to busy. I’m guessing combo of vikings, half term and the first dry Saturday in weeks saw crowds descent. A lot of stuff we gave up on such as the Viking centre as the queue was ridiculous.

Will probably take another trip up at some point.

So we're going up to York again on the 15th June for a couple of days to pick up daughter No 2 from university. Never been in summer, only autumn/winter and mostly did the Christmas market/ pub crawl thing. Any tips on how to spend a couple of ( hopefully) sunny days in York?

Best pub in York, hands down (that I’ve been to). That’s against some pretty strong competition too.

So we're going up to York again on the 15th June for a couple of days to pick up daughter No 2 from university. Never been in summer, only autumn/winter and mostly did the Christmas market/ pub crawl thing. Any tips on how to spend a couple of ( hopefully) sunny days in York?

I was just up there on a very sunny weekend a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed the car boot sale at the far end of the racecourse and I’m not normally into that kind of thing. We also went to the cold war bunker York Cold War Bunker | English Heritage which was brilliant. There’s a tour every hour on the hour. Not much sun down there though!

Going up again at the beginning of December for a few days and im half way to talking the missus and the girls into spending a day out walking instead of the usual shop eat booze repeat. So...….. North York Moors or Yorkshire dales? Where shall we go?

Nip up the A64 up to Pickering and ride the steam train to Goathland.
Nice stroll on the North Yorkshire Moors before catching the train back.

Going up again at the beginning of December for a few days and im half way to talking the missus and the girls into spending a day out walking instead of the usual shop eat booze repeat. So...….. North York Moors or Yorkshire dales? Where shall we go?
Moors are a bit blander and emptier. Dales is lumpier and mostly more interesting. And a bit more populated. Some lovely villages in both.

Pickering to Whitby is always cracking (particularly if you like steam trains). Worth getting out to the east coast, if you’re heading up. (And worth getting across to the lakes if you’re heading out to the west, tbf :D)

Tbh the hole at horcum is worth a squizz if you’re up for a quick walk and are around Pickering, too.

Sell me on goathland, Sprocket. We’ve been through many times (on steam!), but I wasn’t sure what the selling point was. Walks? There’s certainly no f***ing goat’s.

Sadly not since September.
:(

Borrow ours, if you want ;)

Tbf, if you’re after a whole day of walking I would totally Dales it. The further west the better, ideally nudging towards Ingleborough (2ish hours. Tbf, Glenridding / Helvellyn are entirely doable in the same time, and who wouldn’t if they only knew?!).

Our experience of the Moors is just a bit bland. Lots of attempts. Some adequate 2hr walks. Nothing we’d totally love to do again.

But then again, we sort of love height / elevation. And the moors are mostly an elevated plain (with some pretty pretty dimples).

Hutton le Hole (moors) is properly pretty. Walks to the north. Has the Ryedale Folk Museum (which is a bit better in summer, but often has Unusual events going on). Just up from Pickering and Kirkbymoorside. Nice experience of Rosedale Abbey up to the tops too, though we fucked it with a howling toddler and howling gale.

:(

Borrow ours, if you want ;)

Tbf, if you’re after a whole day of walking I would totally Dales it. The further west the better, ideally nudging towards Ingleborough (2ish hours. Tbf, Glenridding / Helvellyn are entirely doable in the same time, and who wouldn’t if they only knew?!).

Our experience of the Moors is just a bit bland. Lots of attempts. Some adequate 2hr walks. Nothing we’d totally love to do again.

But then again, we sort of love height / elevation. And the moors are mostly an elevated plain (with some pretty pretty dimples).

Hutton le Hole (moors) is properly pretty. Walks to the north. Has the Ryedale Folk Museum (which is a bit better in summer, but often has Unusual events going on). Just up from Pickering and Kirkbymoorside. Nice experience of Rosedale Abbey up to the tops too, though we fucked it with a howling toddler and howling gale.

Been looking online and I think Its gonna be The Dales. Seems more to see , more villages ,pubs, people .if only to keep the kin interested. Thanks.

The North York moors can be quite bad in December though.
There are a few short walks around Goathland, one we have done is a circular route down to the Mallyan Spout waterfall and along the bottom of the ravine, back through woodland to Goathland.
But it is slippery in decent weather, if it were icy it may be treacherous.
mrs quoad, never seen goats either, thousands of sheep though. I understand Goath is derived from Old Norse for Good.
The public toilets in the village are amongst some of the unclean I have ever had to use by the way.
Maybe the Dales, then!

Last edited:
As you might’ve discovered, wrt food, fossgate is... a friend. Depending on what you’re looking for, tbh.

It’s got a runnel of a really decent small Italian (cibo del paradiso, not expensive, lunchtime deals); an excellent Thai (khao san Road, so successful they now have three restaurants in york (the other two do Thai tapas?!), quite expensive), and a properly decent Polish place (Barbakan, great big polish means for £7-9, prices can be more expensive for evening meals. Ridiculous polish cake selection).

There’s also the Cochon aveugle opposite, if you’re looking to spend £150 on a ten course tasting menu lol. And... melton’s Too? If that’s still there. Which we thought was crap and confused, the one time we went there, but seems to have a really good reputation amongst locals. And really isn’t expensive. Iirc.

Going up again Friday for a long weekend and finally managed to get a table at Barbakan. Menu looks fantastic. Cant wait.

Back
Top Bottom