Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Gentrification' Green Lanes style..

Hollis

bloody furious
Noticed when I was getting the bus down it the other day - not just the old 'social clubs' but pretty much all the old fruit and veg shops have now vanished... its now one endless collection of Turkish restaurants - of which this is the latest..

Giant new Turkish restaurant 'flouts planning rules'

I imagine this is a slight variation on the typical 'gentrification' pattern in London, in that, who knows... perhaps more of the locals are eating out.. or they're trying to turn it more into a 'destination' place.

:confused:

Last edited:
I was in North London (Edmonton) for the first time in years the other day and the Cock Tavern is now a giant Turkish restaurant. I don't think anyone's tried gentrifying N9 yet it just seems to be the way high streets are going. With less independent shops it's the only thing worth opening.

Noticed when I was getting the bus down it the other day - not just the old 'social clubs' but pretty much all the old fruit and veg shops have now vanished... its now one endless collection of Turkish restaurants - of which this is the latest..

Giant new Turkish restaurant 'flouts planning rules'

I imagine this is a slight variation on the typical 'gentrification' pattern in London, in that, who knows... perhaps more of the locals are eating out.. or they're trying to turn it more into a 'destination' place.

:confused:

ETA: sorry, can't change spelling in title..

I was in North London (Edmonton) for the first time in years the other day and the Cock Tavern is now a giant Turkish restaurant. I don't think anyone's tried gentrifying N9 yet it just seems to be the way high streets are going. With less independent shops it's the only thing worth opening.

This. High streets are moribund, we buy all our shit on the net, high streets are either dead or full or services, restaurants, coffee shops, barbers, nail bars and so on.

This. High streets are moribund, we buy all our shit on the net, high streets are either dead or full or services, restaurants, coffee shops, barbers, nail bars and so on.
I wouldn't mind if the proliferation of places to eat meant that there were loads of genuinely affordable eating out options like there are in every truly civilised city in the world but sadly that doesn't appear to be the case in london

I wouldn't mind if the proliferation of places to eat meant that there were loads of genuinely affordable eating out options like there are in every truly civilised city in the world but sadly that doesn't appear to be the case in london

Not just in London, plus there seems to be a rash of bland, overpriced offerings to be found. A Côte Brasserie opened here earlier this year, gave it a go, two mains, one pud and one bottle of wine, £85. The food was mediocre at best, the service was shite beyond words. It seems to be busy all the time, why? We also have two independent restaurants which whilst they do OK, they are never rammed and certainly never have a queue of punters waiting to get in like Côte often does.

Before sterling collapsed you mean?

London still does pretty well for affordable eating out compared to the rest of the country I think. What dyou like eating and how much dyou want to pay?

Before sterling collapsed you mean?

London still does pretty well for affordable eating out compared to the rest of the country I think. What dyou like eating and how much dyou want to pay?

Well I can only pity the rest of the country then

To be fair, Green Lanes is probably one of the best places in London to get a decent affordable feed. No idea if that includes this place though.

To be fair, Green Lanes is probably one of the best places in London to get a decent affordable feed. No idea if that includes this place though.

True, Turkish places are often very good value, I wish there was a high Turkish population in my area!

Someone once told me Green Lanes was a good measure of whether an arriviste community has 'made it'. They start round Tottenham and end up in Winchmore Hill, where I grew up, when truly established in the UK. So when I was born, the Jews had made it down to Winchmore Hill a while ago, the Greeks were settling in - my primary school had a sizable Greek minority. Turks seem to have stalled about half way down, maybe greater barriers to social advancement (whatever that means) in the last 30 years?

Back
Top Bottom