Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gardens/parks/uncrowded places?

miss direct

misfungled
I'll be in London next week for the first time in ages for an event, and have two full days to spare.

I've been a zillion times in my life so don't need to do first time tourist stuff and I also really don't like crowds. I've been looking into what I can do and the things that appeal all require booking, and are already full (Barbican garden, Aga Khan tour, even the Sky Garden).

For reference, I like the Japanese garden in Holland Park, uncrowded quirky museums, walking for miles, vintage/50s clothes, old man pubs, charity shops, nice tea. I do not like Oxford Street (ironic as I'm staying nearby), nightclubs, and queueing.

I'd welcome any suggestions :)

If you want to walk for miles head up to Hampstead Heath , use Gospel Oak or Hampstead Heath stations rather than the tube. There is a cafe on the Heath fairly close to the entrance nr Gospel Oak.

Old Man pubs are disappearing , doubt you'd find any in the West End, I only know the ones in Hackney 🤣

Walk Thames out West. From eg Hammersmith there are a few nice pubs along the way.
Same is true going East. You can walk along the south bank but then just keep going east. A few bits where you have to walk inland for a bit but not for too long. You can stop by the Angel, the Mayflower, the Ship and Whale, the Dog and Bell, the Trafalgar (bit touristy actually) and the Cutty Sark pubs, among others.

If you want to walk for miles head up to Hampstead Heath , use Gospel Oak or Hampstead Heath stations rather than the tube. There is a cafe on the Heath fairly close to the entrance nr Gospel Oak.

Old Man pubs are disappearing , doubt you'd find any in the West End, I only know the ones inIMG_20230914_141016.jpg Hackney 🤣
I'm here now, a real, authentic old pub, unchanged since WW2! ( cash only ).

The Goldfinger House in Hampstead is interesting. It wasn’t busy when we visited, but you do need to book. You could combine it with a visit to the Heath.

Or explore the story of Dido Belle at Kenwood House.

Said the man who has been to London less than once per decade of his life.

More art: the Guildhall Art Gallery in the City, with bonus amphitheatre in the basement, is usually very quiet and also free. A few interesting pieces in there - there's a brilliant Grayson Perry piece.

Modern art: Whitechapel Art Gallery. Again free, doesn't get too crowded, could be combined with the Guildhall as it's walkable between the two.

Sorry, all art I'm thinking of atm. Most of the big museums - British, NHM, V&A, etc - are invariably very busy.

Last edited:
TBF I've always found the BM to be surprisingly quiet if you get away from the very crowded bits near the entrance/main plaza.
Depends. If you want to look at Egyptian statues, you are mostly going to be in busy areas. Ironically, the British history rooms tend to be quieter. But yes, certain bits of the museum are much busier than others.

Up to last year, the BM and other museums/galleries were still quieter than usual post-covid (when they first reopened, they were blissfully quiet). I have noticed this summer that they're much busier than last year. I think this is because the Chinese and Japanese tourists are back.

Highgate has good charity shops and the cemetery is peaceful and very interesting for a good wander.

I always find the Tate emptyish.

depending on where in london you are, and whether the old deep south is within your travel range, the horniman museum / gardens at forest hill (forest hill station on southern from london bridge, or the bit of overground that goes through whitechapel - new cross gate, then either a bit of an uphill walk or a couple of stops on the bus)

assorted collections including an overstuffed walrus

mostly free, but some bits charged for. probably fairly quiet midweek unless there's a big school group. gardens are quite big including a nature trail along a bit of closed railway line.

cafe is reputed to be quite good as well.

pub 'the capitol' (between station and museum) is a wetherspoons, but building is a late 1920s cinema - wetherspoons are trying to sell it but haven't yet (as far as i'm aware)

can't offer thoughts on the charity shops round there.

Back
Top Bottom