Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Gaming console advice please!

editor

hiraethified
OK, I figure this lockdown is going to go on for some time and I think it might be worth investing in a gaming console of some sort for two player casual games. Foolishly I gave away my Wii to a friend a while ago and now I'm missing the thing.

I've been playing android games on my TV but it's all a bit limited and a bit of a faff, so I want something that's easier to set up and looks OK. I'm not after state of the art games though, just fun stuff and maybe with interactive exercise (like the Wii). I don't want to spend a fortune but I want something that is vaguely up to date. Advice please urban!

* I do have a fairly powerful Windows laptop so could I use that instead with two cheapo controllers?

Nintendo switch but none in stock anywhere at the moment! :(

You could buy an official Xbox one controller and use that with your windows laptop. Make sure it's the newer controller if you want to use Bluetooth.

Thanks but I'm not sure that I really want to be messing about with v0.21 software when all I'm after is a quick and easy gaming fix.

Thanks but I'm not sure that I really want to be messing about with v0.21 software when all I'm after is a quick and easy gaming fix.
That "v.0.21" software has been developed and maintained for over 2 decades across multiple platforms, the latest stable release just last month.

But if it seems daunting I hear Candy Crush Saga are giving away free levels at the moment.

I'd say a second hand console too, Xbox 360 and the best titles that appeal to you. GTA V at a tenner is probably still great value entertainment.

To be honest.
As you’re an old fart like me.
the raspberry pi and retro pi solution is a nice one if you want to enjoy all the games from yesteryear with simpler times.

I’ve got a shit ton of Nintendo roms and I think mame. If I haven’t I’ll download them and put them on a cloud drive to share so you don’t need to acquire them yourself.

All well and good getting a modern console but you’ve also got to get the games. And that’s more ££££s. However the current generation of modern hardware is actually at the end of the line. Coronavirus withstanding the replacements for the PS4 and Xbox one will arrive this Christmas meaning the PS4 and Xbox one especially are nose diving in price.

There’s tons of great deals but software is software. If you hate the game you ain’t getting your money back.

games on pc are cheaper and get reduced in price much quicker than they do on console. If your pc is up to it by all means use that as a starter for ten and see how you get on. Although I consider myself techie I hate gaming on pc and pissing about with graphics settings. I pay the premium on titles to play them on console because it just works.

keep an eye on hotukdeals as there’s tons of gaming console deals posted daily. Included switches.

I wouldn’t want to pick one for you but note the following.

switch - probably the choice for casual gamers. Can be used on the move. There’s even a light version which is mobile only but if you want the tv exporence you’ll need the fat version. Still expensive and the games rarely come down in price.

xbox one - two versions. The Xbox one s will do you nicely and new ones with games can be picked up for less than £200 if you keep an eye out. Usually tons of deals on amazon if you need something next day (yeah I know) huge catalogue, can play a huge amount of original Xbox and Xbox 360 games as well. Has a Xbox game pass which is a quid for the first month and a tenner after that allowing you to play pretty much every game bar new releases. However you need to download the games. Most modern games are 40GB or there about a so make sure your internet is up to it. Not sure if CeX is still operating online only but plenty of games that came out in 2015-2016 can be picked up for £5 or less. Tombraider and doom spring to mind. However even with a physical disc edition expect to download huge updates before it lets you play (unless you disconnect it from the internet)

ps4 - pretty much the same as above. Has its version of game pass. However I never see as many deals for the PS4 as I do the Xbox. If you do really want to get your hands dirty with modern titles then the PS4 has the better catalogue of exclusive titles. This is probably the reason the PS4 is able to hold a more expensive price point and those said games also hold their price. Games tend to look better if you want to ‘show off’

Wether it matters or not I prefer Xbox controllers. Way more comfortable in my hand. You can get controllers for PS4 in the same shape but more expense. But defo should take the feel of the standard controller into consideration in my opinion if you’re on a budget.

for a slight twist on it. If you enjoyed the wii. Look on eBay for one with the keyword ‘softmod’ or ‘homebrew’ they can be picked up for about £40-£50.

this means it’s been pre hacked and you can play games from a usb drive. I’ve got tons of games a my my other half’s which again am happy to share although this has two problems for a short term solution. you’d need to buy an external drive and send it to me as no way I can upload that amount of data and secondly my other half don’t live with me and is an hours drive away. So two hours there and back. Pc plod wouldn’t be happy with me taking that journey at the moment. She could probably post it though.

wow. Long post. Sorry for typos. On phone.

Last edited:
If you have a "decent" laptop then why do you need a console?

Steam account. Xbox controller or two i guess. HDMI cable. Overcooked. You can even get xbox game pass on pc for a quid for the first month (and its like 4 quid a month after).

Or just get a switch.

That "v.0.21" software has been developed and maintained for over 2 decades across multiple platforms, the latest stable release just last month.

But if it seems daunting I hear Candy Crush Saga are giving away free levels at the moment.
I think FarmVille might ‘tick’ your boxes!!

Same as what everyone has recommended - 2nd hand last generation (PS3 or Xbox 360). The games are ridiculously cheap from charity or 2nd-hand shops now, and you can get some great games for those platforms.

Thanks to the wonderful nick my problems are over! He has donated a Wii with a shedload of games and accessories so there will be interactivity in the house tonight. He even drove over to deliver them. Thanks again, Nick. Very much appreciated.

I really fucking love urban sometimes!

Arse! I was ready to start Wii-ing and then discovered that my TV doesn't have Ye Olde phono connections. I guess I can pick them up on eBay but is there anything I should look out for?

I just found something that might just work. Will report back. If I'm gone for ages - it's working!

Never throw away an audio or TV adaper. They'll always come in useful for something. I'm pretty sure I've got and RCA to scart converter knocking around but I don't know if TVs even have scart sockets any more.

Never throw away an audio or TV adaper. They'll always come in useful for something. I'm pretty sure I've got and RCA to scart converter knocking around but I don't know if TVs even have scart sockets any more.
I had boxes of the things and up until 12 hours ago I never, ever thought I'd have the need of a scart to photo adaptor! But I found one in the end so have been enjoying playing a Wii for the first time in years! Thanks again nick !

playstation now if your controller will work with it , £8.99 , hundreds of ps 3 and some ps 4 games streamed straight into your pc

Last edited:
That ^^^^ :)

I use a 3rd party xbox one controller , works mostly ( some games use the touch pad on the ps4 controller which means you cant play them properly which is a shame) but still loads on there to keep you going

Back
Top Bottom