Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fyre Festival - laugh long, laugh loud

I think the Glastonbury offers just a little bit better value for money, given that you're paying to see the ten zillion bands and entertainments on offer, and not going for a 'unparalleled best in music, cuisine, design & hospitality on a private island.'

Sure, it sounds like crap and I'd choose Glastonbury anytime - but it doesn't sound like there was that big a price difference between Fyre and Glastonbury or Burning Man.

I think the Glastonbury offers just a little bit better value for money, given that you're paying to see the ten zillion bands and entertainments on offer, and not going for a 'unparalleled best in music, cuisine, design & hospitality on a private island.'
Well, not really. If the organisers had actually delivered on their promises who's to say what's better value? It's just down to whatever you personally want from a weekend away.

I have some sympathy for those who bought the low end tickets, it's the twats that spent 5/6 figure sums I'm happy to laugh at...

Sure, it sounds like crap and I'd choose Glastonbury anytime - but it doesn't sound like there was that big a price difference between Fyre and Glastonbury or Burning Man.
Sure: but Glastonbury is sold on music and this one was sold on exclusivity, luxury and supermodels. That's going to attract a sort of crowd I care little for.

No sun loungers though.

https://news.vice.com/story/audio-f...yees-nobodys-getting-paid?utm_source=vicefbus

On Friday, Billy McFarland, the 25-year-old founder of the disastrous Fyre Festival, told his shell-shocked employees that their paychecks covering the past two weeks would not be coming. Nor would he be firing them, a prerequisite for unemployment benefits in most states. Instead, McFarland offered to allow his dozen-or-so employees to stay on in unpaid roles, where they could work to grow the business to a place where they might get paid again.

I *think* in the US employees don't pay anything like NI on their wages so if they get fired they must apply for unemployment assistance and their employers pay it through the government? Maybe! I have only gathered this after reading r/legaladvice on Reddit :oops: Posters are always getting advised to appeal if they get rejected for unemployment and I'd imagine not being paid so being forced to quit would qualify them but still, that guy is a shitbird.

What are they complaining about?!

1505243903445-lotsaza.jpeg

:D:D

"The fact that my friend and I spent 55 dollars each for such a shitty event like this unbelievable! All we got was warm red wine that tasted like ass!" :D

Ouch, see that to me seems a bit much too. He was blagging and it didn't quite work out but to get that kind of time seems out of proportion even if they are all wankers.

That being said I think the sentence is because he diddled over people with big money rather then anything about the experience of the festival goers themselves.

Yeah, you can mostly get away with shafting normal people but conning millions out of 'investors' you're always going to end up doing a lot of time.
I bet that there's a lot of people that have rolled his particular dice, gotten away with it and were quietly lauded for their success and audacity because they delivered and made money for everyone.
His biggest sin isn't lying, it's failing to turn lies into profit by being a piss poor events manager.

Last edited:
I bet that there's a lot of people that have roll his particular dice, gotten away with it and were quietly lauded for their success and audacity because they delivered and made money for everyone.
His biggest sin isn't lying, it's failing to turn lies into profit by being a piss poor events manager.
you'd have gone as well, if it was here :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom