Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Frozen prawns- long past sell by date

feedmeastraycat

Got an unopened packet of prawns that went out of date around August last year. Really hungry. Will they be ok?

And how's bets to defrost and fry them without getting that frothy white fat stuff?

vomit.jpg

What's freezer burn and how do I diagnose it on a prawn?

It'll look dried out and with a kinda tan scum on top.

I'd say that I'd eat it unless it has freezer burn or tastes funny. Keep in mind, that I've left tofu out on the table all day in 90 degree weather and eaten when I got home. Even worse.... I freeze rice.

I'd be inclined to defrost them and give them a go, I keep a lot of seafood in my freezer - but if at any stage (defrosted or during cooking) they give off a strong or bad smell, or if they look discoloured at any stage in the process, bin them.

Got an unopened packet of prawns that went out of date around August last year. Really hungry. Will they be ok?

And how's bets to defrost and fry them without getting that frothy white fat stuff?

Seriously - Bin them!

Norovirus is by far the most prevalent (and brutal) form of food poisoning in seafood and it also remains active at lower temperatures than most other contaminents. Even below zero - you may have frozen them cold enough to stop it FTM but by the time they have thawed to around -2, it will be active again.

Check your freezer's star rating:

* : min temperature = −6 °C (21.2 °F). Maximum storage time for frozen food is 1 week
** : min temperature = −12 °C (10.4 °F). Maximum storage time for frozen food is 1 month
*** : min temperature = −18 °C (−0 °F). Maximum storage time for frozen food is 3 months
*(***) : min temperature = −18 °C (−0 °F). Maximum storage time for frozen food is up to 12 months

*** : min temperature = −18 °C (−0 °F). Maximum storage time for frozen food is 3 months
*(***) : min temperature = −18 °C (−0 °F). Maximum storage time for frozen food is up to 12 months
Why is "*(***)" 4 times better than "***" if they're the same temperature?

Why is "*(***)" 4 times better than "***" if they're the same temperature?

I think because it maintains that temperature consistently over time. Also, if you shove lots of unfrozen stuff into a *** freezer, any frozen stuff already in there is likely to reach too high a temperature.

Don't be so ridiculous.
Defrost the prawns, feed them to the cat and then eat the cat.

That's what I meant, naturally. I said eat "it" - as in the cat. Not "them" as in the prawns.:D
Prawns are cat food anyway, never understood why any human would want to eat them.

Seriously - Bin them!

Norovirus is by far the most prevalent (and brutal) form of food poisoning in seafood and it also remains active at lower temperatures than most other contaminents. Even below zero - you may have frozen them cold enough to stop it FTM but by the time they have thawed to around -2, it will be active again.

Agreed. I caught Norovirus from a bag of dodgy cockles a good few years ago and spent the next couple of days firing from both ends in a more than passable imitation of the Trevi Fountains.

Back
Top Bottom