Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Free" Highland Tour from Edinburgh: Too Good to be True?

Bungle73

I was there, now I'm here
Banned
I'm thinking of going to Edinburgh next year (I've never been to Scotland) and while looking at Trip Advisor I came across this "free" tour, which is the no.1 tour on the site. I was intrigued and wondering how it could be free and what the catch is so I visited their website. It seems legit. Apparently it's "free" because the tour works on a tips-only basis; basically you pay them what you think the tour is worth.

http://www.thehairycoo.com/tour/FREE Scottish Highlands Tour/2

Thoughts?

I've heard fairly good things about Hairycoo in the past. Plenty of folk seem to have enjoyed their tours.

Never heard of "free" tours before but anecdotally, visitor numbers are a bit down this year, so maybe they are feeling the pinch.

No sure I'd really call that a tour of the Highlands. Not bad for one day though.

Does it take you round a whole load of places with giftshops/cafes/restaurants/whatever? If they get a few quid for turning up with a busload of tourists that could be a way of making it pay, with tips as well.

It's not really the highlands, looking at the route. Also, if you want to actually go into Stirling and Doune Castles you'll have to pay about a fiver each. Stirling got quite pricey after all the work they did on restoring the Great Hall.

Feed the coos is fun though, just watch out for horns...

No sure I'd really call that a tour of the Highlands. Not bad for one day though.

It's a tour of the lowlands so I AM sure I wouldn't call it a highland tour!! :D

Perth calls itself the gateway to the Highlands and the tour doesn't go that far north!!

Tbf it's not a tour many scots are likely to do is it?? Unless you don't drive you wouldn't need to. I think if the weather was fine or even reasonable it'd be a good day out though. I'd probably pay about £20 or if entry to Doune is included £25.

Don't think they go to Stirling Castle eg, think there is stunning views fae the Wallace monument!! :D

Well obviously the whole thing isn't in the Highlands (it has to get from Edinbrugh and back within a day), but the extreme western end of the tour does touch the edge of the Highlands, doesn't it? It does according to the map on Wikipedia.

Also the group on the bus is very small (15 people).

but the extreme western end of the tour does touch the edge of the Highlands, doesn't it? It does according to the map on Wikipedia.

Geologically speaking yes it does, just :D As someone who has lived on the NE coast most of her life I'd say the Highlands is well further up, north and west of the tourist hell that is Pitlochry. Hubby is fae Aberdeen and considers the Highlands to be Inverness area and west/north of there :D

Tis all relative ;)

It was only once I'd been down here about 10 years that I realised what I called the Highlands and what the English/tourists called the Highlands, where they went for hunting, shooting and fishing, were quite different areas altogether.

I'm with gemini's husband on this one.

Yeah that's definitely not a tour of the highlands. It might be a nice little trip but if you do it don't decieve yourself that you've seen the Highlands. If you want to properly see the Highlands you should allow a week at least. The whole point of the Highlands is that you can't do it in a day from Edinburgh, really.

In fact, why not check out some of the tours that are run over a few days? They go up to Inverness and you get to see some of the actual highlands. You may as well do it right.

There's some good tour companies based in Edinburgh.

How do you know he's only spending a few days in Edinburgh? Anyway if he wants to see "Scotland" he should forget Edinburgh and go to the highlands instead. Or Glasgow.

How do you know he's not, eh?

I'm guessing by the fact he's only allowing one day for a tour to the highlands.

Thanks, guys. Actually the main reason for my trip is to visit Edinburgh. I just thought this excursion might be an interesting thing to do while I'm there, when I saw it on Trip Advisor.

Come on Bungle!! We need to know your plans so we can draw up an plan for you ;) :D
Must admit if I wanted to see Scotland I wouldn't head for Edinburgh tbh. But it and Glasgow are two of the easiest/cheapest places to get to. You pay for it once there there wi Edinbro right enough.

Damn, you posted while I was typing!!

How do you know he's not, eh?

I'm guessing by the fact he's only allowing one day for a tour to the highlands.

I didn't say I knew anything.

He might be allowing one day for a tour of the highlands because he's seen a 1-day "highland tour" advertised.

Edinburgh is fiendishly expensive! imo at least - and very booked up even into September.

I know this because daughter is going to open day at Edinburgh uni at end of that month and I spent a horrendous amount of time today finding somewhere affordable to stay overnight.

Rabbie's Trail Burners - minibus, comes up to Skye - goes to Neist Point, does a stopover at the hostel (I think) and back next day - but i'm not sure where they start from - you could always get train from Edinburgh tho to their starting point.

there's something else called MacPackers - I'm always seeing them in Portree.

Er -it might be MacBackpackers not sure...

Back
Top Bottom