Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Forgotten modernist/brutalist Welsh architecture - in pictures

Saw that the other day. Exposed concrete doesn't look great after years in a rainy climate sadly, but some interesting buildings.

The last building is the Dunlop rubber factory in Brynmawr, shamefully demolished in the early 2000s for a fucking Asda. The building was designed by Ove Arup, where he learned the principles of concrete construction that went into building the Sydney Opera House, later.

More on the building here

:facepalm:

Saw that the other day. Exposed concrete doesn't look great after years in a rainy climate sadly, but some interesting buildings.

Exactly. I’ve never understood the adoration of brutalist architecture - for me it not only lacks any charm and seems more like an egotistical statement than anything, but after a few years in the British climate manages to look especially shit.

Criminal ignorance:

Though hailed as an architectural masterpiece (Frank Lloyd Wright travelled to the Valleys to see it) the factory never thrived financially. Just a year after its opening it was sold to Dunlop, which ran it for the next 30 years. In 1986, four years after its closure, it became the very first post-war building in Britain to be listed, earning a Grade II* designation.

There were a number of imaginative proposals for alternative uses for the building, including sports hall, cultural centre, ballroom and museum. The local authority, Blaenau Gwent Borough Council, preferred that the building be demolished and the site rededicated to retail and residential use, although its Senior Development Manager did pause to reflect that had the building been situated in the south of England money could surely have been found for its refurbishment. In 1996 the Council gave consent for demolition. Despite opposition from the C20 Society, the Welsh Heritage agency and DoCoMoMo UK among others, the then Secretary of State for Wales, William Hague, declined to call the proposals in for a public inquiry.

1617407468874.png

The irony of the headline being, of course, that none of that architecture was actually in the valleys!

An awful lot of it in the North-East, much of it sadly gone or going nowadays. Wrexham still has the swimming baths, though sadly it was "modernized" in the late 90s and much of its charm was removed, and the bunker-like Argoed School (near Mold) is going to be demolished over the next few years.

11142361.jpg

Exactly. I’ve never understood the adoration of brutalist architecture - for me it not only lacks any charm and seems more like an egotistical statement than anything, but after a few years in the British climate manages to look especially shit.

I think that last part is part of the charm. I like it. I like the rough edges.

An awful lot of it in the North-East, much of it sadly gone or going nowadays. Wrexham still has the swimming baths, though sadly it was "modernized" in the late 90s and much of its charm was removed, and the bunker-like Argoed School (near Mold) is going to be demolished over the next few years.

11142361.jpg
just saw some pics of this school on twitter, it's amazing.

1619344577640.png

Saw this. Think it is of cultural value

"Small models of Brutalist concrete buildings" really feels like it should be an answer from this quiz:

Back
Top Bottom