Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

(Football) Team GB 'list of 80'

so now we know some of the names anyone wanna hazard a guess about the rest. If there's 18 and we know 3 definites, and I would think Bale is a cert and maybe Ramsey we're only looking for another 13!lol

so now we know some of the names anyone wanna hazard a guess about the rest. If there's 18 and we know 3 definites, and I would think Bale is a cert and maybe Ramsey we're only looking for another 13!lol
Given that the whole Euro 2012 squad will be out, it's difficult to pick really. Reckon there will be quite a few Welshmen (Joe Allen, Neil Taylor, Adam Matthew), because they're strong at that level, they'll have to incorporate a couple of Scots (err... Jordan Rhodes? Danny Wilson?) and Norn Irish (fuck knows, really), regardless of merit (and it'll have to be, because those cupboards are pretty dry, tbh), make up the rest with England U-21 squad.

no. after englun lost the other day he said "we'll have to see how we get on in the olympics"
"we" being englun where it is sposed to be "team gb" spit
seeeee?
How should he, as a man from Britain, refer to the GB team then? "Them"?

Other rumours from the Guardian:
Among the 15 players under 23 believed to have made the squad are the Spurs wide player Gareth Bale, the Chelsea forward Daniel Sturridge and the Birmingham City goalkeeper Jack Butland, for whom the Football Association's promise not to select any players who went to Poland and Ukraine will be waived.

Jack Rodwell, the Everton midfielder who launched the Team GB kit, has missed the cut after a series of injury problems.

can you not see that after englund losing and him saying 'we' abou the olympics is a cheeky/presumptious?
or is it englun that are playing in the olympics after all?
or are they the same in your view? :confused:
are you being deliverately dense? Or are you just determined to read it your chosen way, despite there not being anything to really back you up?

A presenter on a British TV show refers to 'we' i regards of a team that has qualified from the broadcasting nation. Said presenter then refers to 'we' again when referring to the team from the broadcasting nation that is appearing in the Olympics. It's not really that weird. Had that first team been wales rather than England, he'd still have (correctly) used 'we' on both occasions.

Sometimes I have been known to say, in a single sentence, 'we [Tranmere] did shit today, but we [England] should make up for it on saturday.' The meaning is quite clear in the relevant context.

of course you would cos you are an englun supporter
'we' - englun is not 'we' team gb is it

the englun team that lost the other day wot he wos talking about is not the team that will be playing in the 'lympics
pretty straight forward

So what should he have said? "Team GB"? Bit clunky don't you think?

'We' makes perfect sense, given there will be a decent contingent of English U-21's in the GB team, which is what he was referring to immediately before the 'we' comment.

Also, how hard is it to spell England?

the englun team that lost the other day wot he wos talking about is not the team that will be playing in the 'lympics
pretty straight forward

:facepalm:

That's exactly what I just said you cretin

i wish it was just bloody englun so the rest of us can laugh when you crash out again so soon

can you not see that after englund losing and him saying 'we' abou the olympics is a cheeky/presumptious?
or is it englun that are playing in the olympics after all?
or are they the same in your view? :confused:
Not the same, but you can be part of both. I'm a Londoner, and an Englishman, and a Briton, and say "we" to all three. They're not bloody exclusive to each other, they're practically by definition inclusive of each other!
No, but, as above, you can quite accurately refer to both without fear of contradiction.
pretty straight forward
You'd think...

so when comparing losing to 'how "we" will do in the 'lympics', he wasn't referring to englun at all then? :rolleyes:

I'll repeat it for you, I know you ignored the point then, but what the hell.

The BBC refers to each country of the UK as 'we' when it comes to team sports. Because they (claim to) represent the whole nation. 'We have two teams in the finals' is a perfectly reasonable statement, and each could, clearly, then be referred to as 'we' - despite being two different things!

England were the only British reps in the finals, so were 'we' - just like Wales would have been had the positions been reversed. Team GB are the only British reps at the Olympics, so the BBC calls them 'we.' It's not exactly difficult to comprehend.

Phew! What a comeback!​
I'm sorry that English is such a difficult language for you to master.​

Welsh and Scottish winners in sport are often claimed for the uk or 'us', 'we' etc
it's bollocks

No Welsh, no Six Counties is fully British???
As far as I'm aware, there are no issues with the Women's team picking who they want from Great Britain. Whereas it appears that the Scottish FA have got their wish and there is in the Men's team.

Squad announced:

J Allen (Swansea)
C Bellamy (Liverpool)
R Bertrand (Chelsea)
J Butland (Birmingham)
S Caulker (Tottenham)
T Cleverley (Manchester United)
J Cork (Southampton)
C Dawson (West Brom)
R Giggs (Manchester United)
A Ramsey (Arsenal)
M Richards (Manchester City)
D Rose (Tottenham)
S Sinclair (Swansea)
M Sordell (Bolton)
J Steele (Middlesbrough)
D Sturridge (Chelsea)
N Taylor (Swansea)
J Tomkins (West Ham)

I can see 6 shoe-ins for the starting 11 there.

The sensitivity to Wales digs on this site has always puzzled me somewhat, seeing as nationalism/patriotism/jingoism/etc isn't generally part of the community's make-up.

I'm not being funny, and I don't mind it or anything, just find it odd. If I saw England or Scotland being slagged off then I might react just for banter's sake, but I wouldn't really give a toss. Artificial boundaries drawn up by people with no relevance to my life, defining a group of inhabitants that are essentially no more similar to me than the populations of Greece or Germany.

Back
Top Bottom