Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Foldable PCs are coming (and I don't mean laptops!)

It does come with a Bluetooth keyboard which makes it a much more useful proposition. For a 'digital nomad' who needs to do proper work on the road this could be very useful.

It does come with a Bluetooth keyboard which makes it a much more useful proposition. For a 'digital nomad' who needs to do proper work on the road this could be very useful.
I'm not so sure... Imagine you're on the train, how do you orientate it? If you want even a chance of proper typing you're going to have to use the separate bluetooth keyboard, so do you have the laptop in fully open mode, so it's perched on the table, balancing on it's side? Or do you fold it 90 degrees, so it's traditionally laptop style, but now the bluetooth keyboard is getting in the way, and half the screen is nearly unviewable. Or do you do some awkward hybrid, with the thing open 45 degrees, like a book, as in the one-and-only picture they have of it being used with the external keyboard? :hmm: Every option feels a bit precarious or impractical...

If the resolution is as good as the very first pic where it looks like Wikipedia is on the top half and word/PowerPoint whatever it is in the bottom then as long as the onscreen keyboard can also be half the bottom section then you can use it much like a current laptop.

A true representation of the resolution and screen estate is required though as yes I think most of us actually do perch laptops on unstable surfaces at times. Such as our laps, so the Bluetooth keyboard won’t cut it in those instances. Plus you’d want some sort of stand to have the screen widescreen.

As someone that lugs a laptop around all be it an xps 13 which isn’t that heavy in laptop terms this appeals to me far more than a foldable phone to be honest.

The resolution on that wiki page does look decent though. Most of the content is there.

lenovo-announces-worlds-first-foldable-windows-pc-that-bends_g4kk.910.jpg

As a device for entertainment, I can see the appeal. But for me a laptop is a device I can work on, and I'll never be able to work on a touchscreen. I currently have a laptop with a touchscreen, I paid a big premium for it, thought it'd be super cool - turns out to be more of a gimmick really, I use the trackpad when travelling or an old school mouse at home. And typing anything more than text messages on a touchscreen is a truly hideous experience. I guess if all you're doing is replying to emails, then it's fine. But I can't imagine writing code on it.

I had a ThinkPad X with the screen that rotated and became a tablet. It was excellent from a technical point of view.

Used that feature a couple of times over about 5 years.

Good idea I like the concept. A touch screen purely for pen/pointer input and a screen to look at, or some such configuration doing similar. Rubbish for typing though touch screens.

I'm not so sure... Imagine you're on the train, how do you orientate it? If you want even a chance of proper typing you're going to have to use the separate bluetooth keyboard, so do you have the laptop in fully open mode, so it's perched on the table, balancing on it's side? Or do you fold it 90 degrees, so it's traditionally laptop style, but now the bluetooth keyboard is getting in the way, and half the screen is nearly unviewable. Or do you do some awkward hybrid, with the thing open 45 degrees, like a book, as in the one-and-only picture they have of it being used with the external keyboard? :hmm: Every option feels a bit precarious or impractical...

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 16.28.21.jpg

Shite. Just get a laptop, or a surfaceor an iPad. Typing on the touchscreen is a sub optimal experience always. It’s the other things touchscreens do that make them compelling. Not the work production capabilities.

I had a ThinkPad X with the screen that rotated and became a tablet. It was excellent from a technical point of view.

Used that feature a couple of times over about 5 years.
My Chromebook screen folds back. Really handy when I'm watching a film in bed. I can't imagine using a laptop without the option of a touchscreen now. I certainly would never buy a non touchscreen laptop now.

Shite. Just get a laptop, or a surfaceor an iPad. Typing on the touchscreen is a sub optimal experience always. It’s the other things touchscreens do that make them compelling. Not the work production capabilities.

But as this comes with a keyboard and also turns into a big fold out screen, it's the best of both worlds, no?

I wonder how long the bit of the screen that folds would last for. The full screen size looks about the same as the Microsoft Surface I've got, but that has a removable keyboard that doesn't obscure half the screen.

You can also use the full screen in unfolded mode and use the removable physical keyboard too (see around 7.18 onwards) like the MS Surface.

For me, the biggest flaw with tablets doubling up as laptops is they always that they end up being top heavy when using with a physical keyboard and balancing on a lap. This would at least appear to address that with an even weight distribution and the ability to double up as a large tablet if you want to hold or position any other way.

Back
Top Bottom