Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Flying experts. Checking through bags question.

Heathrow only has four terminals but your BA flight from New York will land at T5.

Ignore what JFK say, it all comes down to the Alaska Air check in agent in LA. They either will or will not check yours bags through to London. By rights they don’t have to. AS is a partner of BA, of sorts. So they might. If you miss the BA flight due to late arrival, that is your issue here, cos no goodwill in the world will get BA to reinstate your no-show suspended coupon if you miss it...

Heathrow only has four terminals but your BA flight from New York will land at T5.

Ignore what JFK say, it all comes down to the Alaska Air check in agent in LA. They either will or will not check yours bags through to London. By rights they don’t have to. AS is a partner of BA, of sorts. So they might. If you miss the BA flight due to late arrival, that is your issue here, cos no goodwill in the world will get BA to reinstate your no-show suspended coupon if you miss it...

I called Alaska Airlines again, because I'm paranoid and don't trust anybody :hmm:

I gave them the exact flight details of each plane, and they said that it'll be fine - the minimum transfer time to check bags through is 1hr15. As mine is 1hr55 they said that would be fine and I should have no issue when checking bags at the gate. They seemed to be familiar with an Alaska/BA arrangement.

I'm still paranoid about it a little but this has been more reassuring (famous last words)

Re: No show suspended coupon - surely if that flight is late and connection missed, that's covered by insurance (upto £1k according to my policy T&Cs on missed connections)

Last edited:
I called Alaska Airlines again, because I'm paranoid and don't trust anybody :hmm:

I gave them the exact flight details of each plane, and they said that it'll be fine - the minimum transfer time to check bags through is 1hr15. As mine is 1hr55 they said that would be fine and I should have no issue when checking bags at the gate. They seemed to be familiar with an Alaska/BA arrangement.

I'm still paranoid about it a little but this has been more reassuring (famous last words)

Re: No show suspended coupon - surely if that flight is late and connection missed, that's covered by insurance (upto £1k according to my policy T&Cs on missed connections)

Did you get the name of the person you spoke with? Without that you could well be left saying, "But, but I spoke to someone who said it would be fine..." (travel agent lesson #1, always take the name (time and date) of the person you spoke to.

They sound confident that their check in agent in LA will tag your bags through to London, so the baggage tag will have thick black letters JFK then underneath LHR. Check that before they send your bags off.

Phone BA, ask what happens if you fly in on a split ticket to JFK from LA on a flight that is delayed enough to make you miss your BA flight...

No idea about travel insurance. The minimum connecting time for AS to BA @ JFK is 75 minutes, these times are determined on passengers having a through ticket, there are no official times for passengers on split tickets.

Did you get the name of the person you spoke with? Without that you could well be left saying, "But, but I spoke to someone who said it would be fine..." (travel agent lesson #1, always take the name (time and date) of the person you spoke to.

They sound confident that their check in agent in LA will tag your bags through to London, so the baggage tag will have thick black letters JFK then underneath LHR. Check that before they send your bags off.

Phone BA, ask what happens if you fly in on a split ticket to JFK from LA on a flight that is delayed enough to make you miss your BA flight...

No idea about travel insurance. The minimum connecting time for AS to BA @ JFK is 75 minutes, these times are determined on passengers having a through ticket, there are no official times for passengers on split tickets.

Thanks. Trying to call BA to triple check now. But its all 'due to extremely high call volume, we are unable to take your call, please visit the website'

Le sigh.

Thanks. Trying to call BA to triple check now. But its all 'due to extremely high call volume, we are unable to take your call, please visit the website'

Le sigh.

You can also try Rapport, the travel agent line, then you'll get, "You will be charged for this call, 60p a minute. We are very busy, please call back later."

You can also try Rapport, the travel agent line, then you'll get, "You will be charged for this call, 60p a minute. We are very busy, please call back later." 6

Heh, cheers. I've already managed to circumvent BA's own attempts to charge me 6p per minute by calling their 0191 line instead of their 0844 line.

They won't let you connect to it from a domestic UK number either, so I called via my US Google Voice number. Mahaha

Booked anyway now. If Alaska are delayed, I'll just no show the BA flight and book another and claim back on insurance as delayed, which can all be proved and documented. 2 hours is a reasonable time to transfer in the same terminal

More I think about it, going hand luggage only is going to be a more sensible option. I always take way too much stuff anyway just because I can, and then its just a hassle wheeling it around most of the time. Plus, although the BA flight has 2 free checked bags, Alaska will charge $30 each way, so I'm saving myself $60 really. And July in LA, how many clothes will I need.. really?

This will be a challenge to myself. One cabin bag and one carry on item. 2 weeks. I can always wash clothes there. Minimum I need for work: 3 shirts, smart shoes, a pair of trousers. Everything else: 5/6 tshirts(?), robe slippers, pj bottoms, underwear (multiple), shorts, swimmers, toiletries (under 100ml), laptop, ipad, charging cables.

I can just wear jeans, and a coat, trainers etc. I'll buy (or borrow) a towel if I need in LA.

Paging Bahnhof Strasse

I've linked with my BA Exec account with the Alaska flights in the hope that they will accrue some Avios, but I can't see the fare class of ticket I have (X) listed in BA's table (below) - does that mean they won't accrue any?

Is X the lowest of the low? :hmm: :D

Booked anyway now. If Alaska are delayed, I'll just no show the BA flight and book another and claim back on insurance as delayed, which can all be proved and documented. 2 hours is a reasonable time to transfer in the same terminal

More I think about it, going hand luggage only is going to be a more sensible option. I always take way too much stuff anyway just because I can, and then its just a hassle wheeling it around most of the time. Plus, although the BA flight has 2 free checked bags, Alaska will charge $30 each way, so I'm saving myself $60 really. And July in LA, how many clothes will I need.. really?

This will be a challenge to myself. One cabin bag and one carry on item. 2 weeks. I can always wash clothes there. Minimum I need for work: 3 shirts, smart shoes, a pair of trousers. Everything else: 5/6 tshirts(?), robe slippers, pj bottoms, underwear (multiple), shorts, swimmers, toiletries (under 100ml), laptop, ipad, charging cables.

I can just wear jeans, and a coat, trainers etc. I'll buy (or borrow) a towel if I need in LA.

I did a round the world with hand luggage only, including a large box of baccy...

Back
Top Bottom