Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Floods in New Zealand

These look pretty bad, average rainfall in a month is 80mm and they have already had 170mm since Tuesday with another 130 on Friday night:eek:
that rain is needed in the northern hemisphere. it all "went south" and this catastrophe ensued

My father in law is in Gisborne the whole east cape has been cut off by road for 5 days now. No power, internet, cell phone and water is running out. We have not been able to make contact. The army have bought in water plants that aren’t working so residents have been told to stop using tap water. A ship has arrived with water and food. Shops are practically unusable unless you have cash. Sounds dystopian.
The Gisborne herald is being delivered door to door by the army as a form of communication. The wood waste from logging is seriously complicating the flooding and devastation. I remember the last time we visited the beach
being covered in logging waste. Seems to be the usual corporate corruption issue.

The first picture is the major road bridge into the town totally split in half !!

Attachments

• CA2A924E-D731-47AA-AA1F-A4E5A19C801D.jpeg
    CA2A924E-D731-47AA-AA1F-A4E5A19C801D.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20880B8E-506F-4875-8A10-9650C9E19F65.png
    20880B8E-506F-4875-8A10-9650C9E19F65.png
    591.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
My niece and her partner live near Hastings, my sister spoke to her a couple of days ago, they and the house are ok, just lost one tree in the garden and they have been without power for a few days.

They both work at a vineyard and lots of the grape fields are covered in water and rotting :( some bridges have gone down but they have been able to get to work.

Oh.. and she said they had had an earthquake too!

I saw that guy on the news earlier. How have they gone from a charismatic and hugely (internationally anyway) popular leader to a mid level IT manager? What a loss. What's he like?

Reactions: ash
Back
Top Bottom