Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

First time in NYC - recommends?

Kid_Eternity

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Off to the Big Apple tomorrow for the first time, other than the obvious stuff what are the must see/ experience/ places to eat?

Off to the Big Apple tomorrow for the first time, other than the obvious stuff what are the must see/ experience/ places to eat?
That's a mighty big question and I'm pretty sure that there's already a thread on it, but I'd definitely include a trip on the Staten Island Ferry, a walk on the High Line and a wander around Red Hook.

A day trip to Beacon is pretty rewarding too.

The hop on tourist busses although pricey are a good way to see the sights.

The Rockerfella tower (Get an sun and stars ticket and you get to go up twice) (you get to be able to see the empire state rather than when you go up it ;) )

Just for 2, but as editor says it's a mighty big question.

Last edited:
That's a mighty big question and I'm pretty sure that there's already a thread on it, but I'd definitely include a trip on the Staten Island Ferry, a walk on the High Line and a wander around Red Hook.

A day trip to Beacon is pretty rewarding too.

Aha very helpful, thank you!

The hop on tourist busses although pricey are a good way to see the sights.

The Rockerfella tower (Get an sun and stars ticket and you get to go up twice) (you get to be able to see the empire state rather than when you go up it ;) )

Just for 2, but as editor says it's a mighty big question.
Good tips! Yeah I figured it was but was curious what people liked etc!

Definitely eat a pastrami sandwich from a deli, unless you're a veggie:

I went there when I was a teeeln with family and am now horrified at what we ate v what was there. Central Park was nice in the morning. Big towers in general were like oh right I'm up high but compared to mountains, disappointing. Swiss/italuan mountain barely looked real even looking at them.

Depends how long you've got. A hop on/off bus tour would get a lot of sights seen in a short space of time because you could spend days just doing all the 'must see' things. My big tip was always to get a super shuttle van from the airport to wherever you're staying not only as a cheap form of transport but also as a kind of mini-tour of the city while it drops off people at their various hotels.

Obvious though it is, Central Park is beautiful at this time of year with the leaves just starting to yellow on the American Elms. Go see the Strawberry Fields memorial, stroll along the Mall, hang out by the lake, listen to the hum of Manhattan from the middle of it all. And yes get a massive pastrami sandwich or bagel and listen to the city from the park.

If you want the skyscraper experience I rate the Rockefeller Center over the Empire State. Ride a subway, look at steam emerging from the street, go look at Times Square at dusk and people watch, find a cool bar or Irish pub that isn't obviously geared to tourists. The Yankees are playing Detroit tomorrow evening so if baseball is your thing (and even if it isn't) so that might be a fun thing to do if you can find an authentic NY sports bar full of Yankees fans.

Beck and Phoenix are also playing Madison Sq garden this weekend if that's your thing too. Enjoy!

Depends how long you've got. A hop on/off bus tour would get a lot of sights seen in a short space of time because you could spend days just doing all the 'must see' things. My big tip was always to get a super shuttle van from the airport to wherever you're staying not only as a cheap form of transport but also as a kind of mini-tour of the city while it drops off people at their various hotels.

Obvious though it is, Central Park is beautiful at this time of year with the leaves just starting to yellow on the American Elms. Go see the Strawberry Fields memorial, stroll along the Mall, hang out by the lake, listen to the hum of Manhattan from the middle of it all. And yes get a massive pastrami sandwich or bagel and listen to the city from the park.

If you want the skyscraper experience I rate the Rockefeller Center over the Empire State. Ride a subway, look at steam emerging from the street, go look at Times Square at dusk and people watch, find a cool bar or Irish pub that isn't obviously geared to tourists. The Yankees are playing Detroit tomorrow evening so if baseball is your thing (and even if it isn't) so that might be a fun thing to do if you can find an authentic NY sports bar full of Yankees fans.

Beck and Phoenix are also playing Madison Sq garden this weekend if that's your thing too. Enjoy!
Oh mate this is fantastic, thank you!

I'd also strongly recommend getting out of hyper-touristy Manhattan and checking out other boroughs. Coney Island is a good place to check. Oh, and I'll second Central Park although you're a month away from the really glorious oranges of fall/autumn.

1693929437251.png

Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and explore the area

In particular the area around Brooklyn Heights and the esplanade walkway - iconic Brownstones to admire and if you come back on the Worlds greatest subway system (very dear to my heart) , make sure you come back over the Manhattan bridge B , D, N , Q or F trains which clunk quite slowly and give the ultimate city scape views and over the Harbour.

Also , take the free Staten Island Ferry and back from Bowling Green / South Ferry. Note "free"

As Ed says - Coney Island is worth a look - think "Warriors" - and get the world famous Hotdog or Knish from Nathans (opposite the station) , ditto look at Brighton Beach for good seaside.

Finally - the Village for bookshops etc (and McSorleys Ale House - I think the oldest ale house in NYC)

(PS - weed is legal ..:weed::hmm:

Some places fairly close to where you are likely to be staying that might be of interest

Chelsea market
Whitney museum of American art
The Standard Biergarten close to there
230 Fifth rooftop bar
Koreatown- good for Korean barbecue and karaoke
Bathtub Gin - speakeasy bar (also has burlesque dancing at least some nights) - there are quite a few hidden bars in NYC which you can find online
If looking for a sports bar (especially one that shows football), Legends sports bar

Given the heat, maybe head down to the beach. Coney Island is closest (and a bit tacky) but can also walk to Brighton beach which is full of Russian restaurants. If feeling adventurous could go out further to Fire Island

If you can afford it, go to a steakhouse.

Closest to you is likely Old Homestead.

In mid town, there is Keens, Morton’s or several Wolfgangs.

Near the park is Quality Meats.

In Brooklyn, Peter Luger.

hi Kid_Eternity , sorry about the delay, the school year started Wednesday and I've been slammed.

manhattan is made for walking but you might not want to be walking too much in this heat. in chelsea you'll be near the 8th ave (A and C) and 7th avenue (1,2,3) subways and it would be easy enough to get to lots of places that way. i can think of the Irish Hunger Memorial Irish Hunger Memorial - BATTERY PARK CITY AUTHORITY which will take you to the Battery area. once there, gazing out onto the harbor is a very nice thing in itself but you will also be right by the Staten Island Ferry NYC DOT - Staten Island Ferry , the 9/11 Memorial pools About the Memorial | National September 11 Memorial & Museum (though imo the Oculus is bullshit, a ton of money spent on a shopping mall) and Castle Clinton Castle Clinton National Monument (U.S. National Park Service), (though this might be more of interest to local history nuts like myself). in the other direction are two of my favorite places, The Cloisters (while the MMA has a medieval section, this is a separate medieval museum The Met Cloisters) and the American Museum of Natural History, which is a blast for all ages https://www.amnh.org/ (warning: it's very popular and there might be a line down the block espeically on weekends and you do not want to be standing outside this week).

hope that helps!

The New York Card is good value if you are looking to visit a lot of the main attractions.

Another vote for the :

Statern Island Ferry.
Top of the Rock,(Rocketfeller Centre) is my favourite of the tall buildings as the design means you are fully outside and there is a bit where you are (safely) over the top of the glass walls.
The high line walk free
The Brooklyn bridge footpath - free.
911 museum is amazing
Coney Island

Plus all the museums and galleries in your interest, the Met obviously but I also loved the Aircraft carrier museum.

Ellen’s starlight diner is the place where the staff ding and dance. It should be shit but was actually far better than it needs to be.

A real surprise, if it survived Covid, was a thing called the ride. I only went because me and A319 were at a lose end one night and it was included in the NYC card. It’s a coach but with theatre seats facing sideways and there are actors and dancers who run round the streets delivering a show on the pavements and parks. It sounds really cheesy, and that’s why we went, but was in fact fantastic.

But, like London , sone of the best things come from just wandering around, soaking up the atmosphere , and finding stuff at random.

Definitely counts as 'the obvious' but the Ellis Island immigration museum is brilliant I think. I can take or leave the Statue of Liberty but the museum absolutely is worth seeing. Get an advance ticket though to avoid the humungous queue.

Back
Top Bottom