Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

First Space Launch From UK Soil Today

That’s fake news. It’s just a 747 take-off, of which there have been plenty before from UK soil. Some place over the Atlantic this one is going to drop a rocket which will then power up into space.

It is certainly not a rocket mission blasting off from Cornwall.

Are you disputing that the satellite ascends from Cornwall?

I’m disputing the headline “Cornwall rocket mission set to blast off”.

Where’s the launch pad located? Oh there isn’t one, so no blast off.

Should be “Airplane takes off from Cornwall to take rocket somewhere else from where it will proceed to space”

I’m disputing the headline “Cornwall rocket mission set to blast off”.

Where’s the launch pad located? Oh there isn’t one, so no blast off.

Should be “Airplane takes off from Cornwall to take rocket somewhere else from where it will proceed to space”
Maybe you should bother the bbc with your animus toward their headline, they may take you on as a sub-editor. Or simply bin your email.

I suppose the Bearded Wonder will be present at the launch mugging for the cameras

Likely the only thing people in Cornwall will guarantee seeing naked eye is a 747 taking off from Newquay Airport then recovering a few hours later, as a front drives in from the WSW (though there could be fortuitous short gaps for some in the SW, or maybe the pace of progression of that front really slows in the coming hours). Thick cloud expected for folks in the south of Ireland too. The weather forecast sweet spot (such as it could be) might be somewhere inside a Gloucester-Oxford-Southampton-Exeter-Gloucester 'box' but even there building cloud layers threaten any viewing.
Cloud cover, 2200UTC 09Jan2023, UKV 12z09Jan2023. Cloud cover, 2300UTC 09Jan2023, UKV 12z09Jan2023.
You would need to look very low to the western horizon (at/around and initially to the 'right', ie north, of Jupiter for most - if the suggested launch campaign timeline is adhered to), at the time of release/ignition and for 1-2 minutes thereafter, preferably with some decent binoculars scanning for an object initially climbing then flattening towards the horizon as it moves to the SW. It won't ever appear very high in the sky (always close to the horizon) as, whilst climbing to orbit it will also increasingly be moving downrange (SSW out over the Atlantic). The further east you are from the SW, the closer to the horizon you have to look in the local sky (to the point where either atmospheric extinction, cloud depth and/or local urban/vegetative clutter/topography preclude any viewing).

Last edited:
I believe I am right in saying that the further from the Equator a rocket is launched into space, the more energy/ fuel is required to put the payload into the desired orbit?

I guess it doesn’t matter that much with small payloads, but surely the same enterprise taking off from an airport much nearer the Equator, or at least flying south towards it as much as possible before launching the rocket would require less fuel or allow a higher payload?

Shall be watching this.
I think we should have a dedicated 'Space' forum. Space is much bigger than anything else.

The fishermen of the southwest of Ireland are not happy. They have to bring their boats back away from the bottle and it will take some time.
They're claiming loss of earnings and very little notice of potential debris falling.

They're a feisty bunch of fishermen. Took on Putin last year.

Noisy helicopters, poor visibility, dog out barking. Could be rabbits or badgers or spacecraft or dastardly strangers

Back
Top Bottom