Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Filling a 25mm hole in a Fermentation Vessel/Plumbing supplies?

UnderOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
Bit of a random thread going on here, but one thing you lot are great at is the sheer variety of knowledge. :)

Anyway not long after I've started brewing I've decided that I want to upgrade things and the kit I've just bought needs some modifications. I want to put my FVs in a barrel of water with an aquarium heater in them. Problem is they are fitted with taps which means they don't fit properly and it would run the risk of water leaking into the beer.

Is there something simple I could buy that would fill the 25mm hole on either side and totally block it. I'm thinking there must be something designed for pluming, but don't know what it's called!

Are you looking for something to block the hole permanently, for which Sugru might work, or something temporary, in which case would a cork or rubber bung work?

Are you looking for something to block the hole permanently, for which Sugru might work, or something temporary, in which case would a cork or rubber bung work?

Either is fine. I guess temp would be good, but if I can't it's not the end of the world. It does need to be totally sealed though as I can't have the water in the bucket leaking into into the beer. Not heard of that Sugru stuff before...do you think it's strong enough and also food safe?

I'd kind of envisaged something goes on both sides, but yeah that might work. Put it through the outside and some kind of sealant. :)

I put the heaters in my FVs...

I've also been considering that as well. Have you had any issues with sanitation? Do you have to chop the plug of the heater and make a hole in the top for the power cord?

One reason I'd been thinking about having the FV in a water bath is that when it's starts to get a bit warmer I can also keep the FV cool by dumping ice packs in there and using a t shirt on the top.

I've also been considering that as well. Have you had any issues with sanitation? Do you have to chop the plug of the heater and make a hole in the top for the power cord?

One reason I'd been thinking about having the FV in a water bath is that when it's starts to get a bit warmer I can also keep the FV cool by dumping ice packs in there and using a t shirt on the top.

Yep. Well, unscrew as opposed to chop. I think you can get power cable size bungs, but I used blu-tac to seal. If you can get bungs I'd use both (or drill out a bigger bung), blu-tac alone is a bit of a faff. I just didn't want to be arsing about with that much water... And it's just going to be standing there for x weeks, so I suspect would get a bit manky. Forget the brand I used, but they weren't that expensive.

Back
Top Bottom