Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

favourite minor train station

lea-bridge-station-1987.jpg

This London station has been closed for 20 years. I have been working on a project to reopen it. It will reopen on 17th May 2016. (fingers crossed)

Last edited:
lea-bridge-station-1987.jpg

This London station has been closed for 20 years. I have working on a project to reopen it. It will reopen on 17th May 2016. (fingers crossed)
That's Lea Bridge station right? That used to be my ends but I can't work out where the station was. Opposite the Italian furniture warehouse store? It's been closed 30 years by the way. If it had been 20 I'm sure I'd know it.

You would not believe what it has taken to get this new station built. Blimey. :(

Is it another of those which were funded or part funded by housing development which got fucked over by the recession? We have a couple of those in Leeds that have been 'happening' for about a decade.

Is it another of those which were funded or part funded by housing development which got fucked over by the recession? We have a couple of those in Leeds that have been 'happening' for about a decade.

Housing is coming in on the back of the new station.

Last edited:
Shrewsbury station is rather nice to look at:

800px-Shrewsbury_station.JPG

...and it has excellent rail links for a small town. IIRC you've got direct trains to Cardiff, Swansea, Manchester, Brum, Aberystwyth and basically anywhere in Wales where they've heard of trains.

For train spods it also has the biggest working mechanical signal box in the entire world:

962811_fe79ae8f.jpg

I saw a steam train pull in at Matlock station a couple of hours ago. It made me very happy. My journey home on a crappy old 156 not so much.

Eridge is also still quite pretty and holds a few original features. Can't find a decent photo of it though.

Live near Carnforth, a real fire burning and 1940s music playing in the background whilst you have cheesy chips and wine....I go there just for the station.
Agree with Kidderminster- great pub called the Station nearby- and if you get the stream train you see hippos and stuff in the safari park whilst on the train. What's the station on that line with the amazing real ale pub? Aha- Bridgenorth.
Hebden Bridge station is pleasing to the eye as is Kirkby Steven in Cumbria- lovely journey from there to Appleby.

Thornaby station, an awful place to wait for a train but it's the way out of Stockton so my favourite station when I was 18.

1671049_ef624c5f.jpg

It used to look a bit better in olden days.

t12675.jpg
It's a bit of a disaster now, by comparison! I spent 15 minutes there, waiting for a train,in January. The little caff didn't have any change, so I couldn't get a cup of coffee :(

mrcou374.jpg

This was Coughton station on the old LMS Birmingham to Evesham line which we used to travel on when we went to stay with my grandmother during the school holidays.

Station staff on this line apparently went to great lengths to make their stations attractive, the one that sticks in my mind most was the old Alvechurch station (couldn't find a suitable picure) with beautiful hanging baskets and flower beds but this is lovely too.

All sadly now gone.

That's Lea Bridge station right? That used to be my ends but I can't work out where the station was. Opposite the Italian furniture warehouse store? It's been closed 30 years by the way. If it had been 20 I'm sure I'd know it.
It's close enough for me to use it when it does re-open

I wonder if any preserved railway will ever see merit in recovering one of the old piss-stinking 70s bus-shelter style platform buildings to recreate the authentic style of the late 20th century rationalised railway? Families will flock to experience travel on a restored Pacer unit to a scruffy litter-strewn platform (featuring period litter, coke cans with old-school ring-pulls, polystyrene maxpax cups) just like the good old days.

It's close enough for me to use it when it does re-open
Your local station would be my first post on a least favourite minor train station thread. It would almost be bearable if every single train wasn't at least two minutes late. My only fond memory of it is that it was how I left Hackney the last time I went there. New station would have saved me time and money.

I wonder if any preserved railway will ever see merit in recovering one of the old piss-stinking 70s bus-shelter style platform buildings to recreate the authentic style of the late 20th century rationalised railway? Families will flock to experience travel on a restored Pacer unit to a scruffy litter-strewn platform (featuring period litter, coke cans with old-school ring-pulls, polystyrene maxpax cups) just like the good old days.

Speaking of "bus Shelter" halts I seem to remember the GWR had a standard pagoda style shelter they used needless to say it looks and no doubt was far better than the bus shelters of today

Back
Top Bottom