Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fast fashion industry sees new cheap clothes discarded after just five weeks

editor

hiraethified
A depressing tale of capitalism, convenience and consumerism

It is not so much the styling and colour, but the price of the £5 dress – reduced this week to just £4 – which attracts thousands of the thriving retailer’s 5 million UK customers to add it to their online shopping bag, click and pay.

Products and prices like these have driven Boohoo’s profits to a record £59.9m, bucking the trend of struggling high street fashion stores across the country.

Made in the UK, at factories in Leicester and Manchester, the £5 dress epitomises a fast fashion industry that pumps hundreds of new collections on to the market in short time at pocket money prices, with social media celebrity endorsement to boost high consumer demand. On average, such dresses and other products are discarded by consumers after five weeks.

Missguided, an online rival to Boohoo, which also sources products from Leicester, took the low pricing even further this week by promoting a £1 bikini, which proved so popular with customers that the website crashed.

But behind the price tag there is an environmental and social cost not contained on the label of such products. “The hidden price tag is the cost people in the supply chain and the environment itself pays,” said Sass Brown, a lecturer at the Manchester Fashion Institute. “The price is just too good to be true.”

A report by MPs into the fashion industry put it bluntly: in terms of environmental degradation, the textile industry creates 1.2bn tonnes of CO2 a year, more than international aviation and shipping combined, consumes lake-sized volumes of water, and creates chemical and plastic pollution – as much as 35% of microplastics found in the ocean come from synthetic clothing.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/22/cost-cheap-fast-fashion-workers-planet

There was a good article about this in the financial times last year - I can't link to it because of the way they set up their licensing, but if you google 'Dark Factories, labour exploitation in Britains garment industry' it should come up.

There was a good article about this in the financial times last year - I can't link to it because of the way they set up their licensing, but if you google 'Dark Factories, labour exploitation in Britains garment industry' it should come up.
And what a depressing read that is.

Today, people in Leicester earning £5 an hour “walk out of factories with their heads held high”, says Mick Cheema, who runs a garment factory called Basic Premier that pays legal wages. He says the average wage in dark factories, as he calls them, is about £4.25 an hour. Factories often under-record hours, so people’s payslips look as if they have been paid the minimum wage.

“Say you’re working 40 hours for £4 [an hour], but legally you should get almost £8 — so these people are showing 20 hours at £8 an hour,” explains Khilji.

I wasn't expecting this - 'Made in the UK, at factories in Leicester and Manchester, the £5 dress.'

When I was in Australia I noticed one of the more current hipster-gentrification fads (which, hand on heart, I was totally in favour of) was fashion start ups, all "Made in Australia" in supposedly "ethical" conditions (which I don't struggle to believe as much as I would struggle to believe it in the UK.) ... Some countries like Italy (where I live) have a culture of making clothes (not just extremely expensive name-brand stuff) which means it's easier to buy stuff that doesn't involve the direct exploitation of (insert poor country) workers.

Again, I do not criticize the people who buy cheap clothes because their income does not allow them to do anything else. Nor do i think only the rich should have access to clothes made with little/no exploitation by bourgeois tailor... it reminds me of the thread (again OP was editor) about food and farmer's markets and stuff - where OP defended decision to not seek out farmers markets because "devilishly expensive" ... i think again for a lot of people it's a disposable income decision not to spend more of it on clothing in order to have more to spend on whatever, but nobody is forcing you at gunpoint to buy from primark. and yes, making your clothes last is important.

Some countries like Italy (where I live) have a culture of making clothes (not just extremely expensive name-brand stuff) which means it's easier to buy stuff that doesn't involve the direct exploitation of (insert poor country) workers.
anyone who has read the book or seen the film gomorrah (or the tv series, i suspect) will know that there are a great number of very poor people in italy making clothes.

this exploitation thing, it isn't all you think it of being as it is in the nature of capitalism to exploit ALL workers. everyone who works is being exploited so bosses can make money. i am being exploited. you are being exploited. hell, even Spymaster's being exploited.

anyone who has read the book or seen the film gomorrah (or the tv series, i suspect) will know that there are a great number of very poor people in italy making clothes.

this exploitation thing, it isn't all you think it of being as it is in the nature of capitalism to exploit ALL workers. everyone who works is being exploited so bosses can make money. i am being exploited. you are being exploited. hell, even Spymaster's being exploited.
The Exploited are not only being exploited but are also (amongst other things) the exploited Exploited.

I am well aware of the situation with textile workers (particularly people from the Indian subcontinent and China) being exploited in Italian factories. I am well aware of the African refugees harvesting fruit for a pittance in the fields of Sicily and Calabria.

What I'm saying is there is often an erroneous simplification of these matters whereby it's all black and white, either it's cheap primark shit made by highly exploited workers in Bangladesh or it's unaffordable and wanky designer stuff. I think there is a middle ground, both a good one and a bad one. The bad one being the expensive clothes which are nonetheless made by the same workers who make the primark stuff. there we see a really extreme "surplus value" extraction.

A girl at work was telling me about this when I asked if her dress was new. She got the dress as part of a job lot at a vintage sale fayre thing.

[QUOTE="Pickman's model, post: 16098001, member: everyone who works is being exploited so bosses can make money. i am being exploited. you are being exploited. hell, even Spymaster's being exploited.[/QUOTE]

This is not entirely true. I and many others, work for a local authority who are here, primarily to provide a service not make money as is the case with many Public services. I grant you, still exploited.

I must admit this page has been an eye opener. I thought fast fashion meant a couple of months, probably longer, but not literally a couple of wears. What do they do with it after? Charity shop or has it just fallen apart?

I have a colleague who, when she goes away, gets at least one outfit per day she is away. Same with nights out. Simply madness.
This is partly why Mrs T and I have vowed to buy no new clothing this year. In fact, it may have been last October or November since I bought anything :thumbs:

I must admit this page has been an eye opener. I thought fast fashion meant a couple of months, probably longer, but not literally a couple of wears. What do they do with it after? Charity shop or has it just fallen apart?

I expect a lot of it doesn’t last more than a couple of washes.

Back
Top Bottom