Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Farewell, Mrs Peel (Diana Rigg)

Very sad news this.

Apologies for mentioning GoT yet again but she really was absolutely incredible in it, even better than Charles Dance was.

The plaque for the Avengers on the Railway track.

A leather-clad Diana Rigg as Mrs Emma Peel in the racy scene in The Avengers that brought a flood of complaints in 1965.

Diana Rigg, Doncaster’s divinest daughter, has passed away.

she could never top her early screen performances in the one true Avengers, tho gave it a game go in the Assasnation Bureau and Theatre of Blood, not to mention the Great Muppet Caper.

Always keep your bowler on in time of stress, and watch out for diabolical masteminds

RIP

Oh come off it, Thaatre of blood was spectacularly atrocious!
But agreed she was fantastic in every other
Diana Rigg, Doncaster’s divinest daughter, has passed away.

she could never top her early screen performances in the one true Avengers, tho gave it a game go in the Assasnation Bureau and Theatre of Blood, not to mention the Great Muppet Caper.

Always keep your bowler on in time of stress, and watch out for diabolical masteminds

RIP

Oh come on, Theatre of Blood really was atrocious!:D
But I agree, she was fantastic in every other sense

Theatre of Blood is great ! :mad:

Totally agree with her that it's Diana Rigg's best film, though working mainly on the stage and on tv, she hasn't actually made that many films.

Last edited:
Ace in Game of Thrones. Proper kick-ass character who - no spoilers, don't worry- had a brilliant scene near the end with Jamie Lannister.

Good character in Detectorists too- could've just been stereotypical nasty mother-in-law but became something much more than that. I didn't know that was her daughter she was working with in that, that's cool.

Obviously I remember bet first in The Avengers but I didn’t appreciate how brilliant she was until I saw her in the ITV production of King Lear. Outstanding as the villainous Regan.

Ace in Game of Thrones. Proper kick-ass character who - no spoilers, don't worry- had a brilliant scene near the end with Jamie Lannister.

Good character in Detectorists too- could've just been stereotypical nasty mother-in-law but became something much more than that. I didn't know that was her daughter she was working with in that, that's cool.
I loved that scene with Jamie Lannister. She was wonderful!

I've always been baffled by the talent, including Rigg, in this truly awful film by Michael Winner. Won of the worst British films ever made.

Why did you do it Diana?

I've always been baffled by the talent, including Rigg, in this truly awful film by Michael Winner. Won of the worst British films ever made.

Why did you do it Diana?
Despite being directed by the worst British director of all time, it had a high caliber supporting cast of middle aged luvvies and she probably got to hang out with her mates. Film pays better than stage work and I don't think she got that many offers for films.

Last edited:
She'll also be in an upcoming tv adaptation of Black Narcissus. The Powell & Pressburger film is one of my favourite films of all time so I'm curious how this will compare.
Rumer Godden lived (and died I believe) near where I grew up. She even opened the church fete one year when I was a kid. (Unsurprisingly, she was Catholic and used to attend that church.)

Was watching some Avengers* re-runs recently ... and Mrs Peel definitely has a certain something !

* Including the tied to the rails one. I must make a visit there when we've got our 'rona jabs done.

Just watched the third part. Beautiful photography, beautiful scenery, story was ok. Mrs Tag reckons it was pretty true to the book and enjoyed it, more than me.

Back
Top Bottom