Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fantasy books of London

krtek a houby

Anger is Hi-NRG
Kraken by China Mieville has some strong 'look how many places in London I can describe' energy. Owes a lot to Neverwhere.

Can we count books set in England with a fair share of London scenes, in the Diagon Alley vein? If so, two historicals: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (S Clarke) and Babel (RF Kuang).

Can we count books set in England with a fair share of London scenes, in the Diagon Alley vein? If so, two historicals: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (S Clarke) and Babel (RF Kuang).

And also, if we accept kids’ fiction, The Lives Of Christopher Chant, Diana Wynne Jones. The future Chrestomanci starts off in London, but as far as I recall none of the parallel worlds have a parallel capital.

And this

Seem to remember it being a bit grimmer than some.
I wasn't a fan, one of the characters is
another irl author and they are not just mentioned in passing but is part of the active plot, it ruined the suspension of disbelief and I gave up

Simon Morden’s books are mostly set in alternate/post-apocalyptic London - the Down Station and Metrozone series.
Also, China Miéville’s first two books, King Rat and Un Lun Dun are London-focused, except they’re not very good.

You're making me want to read it myself now!
I would have been 14-15 years old when I read it, so consider it a tentative recommendation! It might be terrible! I loved James Herbert and Shaun Hutson at about that time and wouldn’t necessarily recommend them nowadays!

Brentford Trilogy ( 12 books) by Robert Rankin. I haven’t read the first ones since I was 17/18 but they seemed good then.

I would have been 14-15 years old when I read it, so consider it a tentative recommendation! It might be terrible! I loved James Herbert and Shaun Hutson at about that time and wouldn’t necessarily recommend them nowadays!
was going to mention the rats series myself

Back
Top Bottom