Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fallout New Vegas...7 days...

Do people actually use vats then? I tend to ignore it.

Fallout 3 was a fucker for getting ammo. So I tended to go for melee to circumvent that issue. Which led me to do the same on FONV before discovering it isn't as bad. Still lots of fun to be had with a chainsaw though.

Fallout 3 was a fucker for getting ammo. So I tended to go for melee to circumvent that issue. Which led me to do the same on FONV before discovering it isn't as bad. Still lots of fun to be had with a chainsaw though.

VATS is far better for players coming from more traditional turn-based combat RPGs (which were almost all turn-based at one point) so provides an RPG method of doing combat which is based on character skill rather than player skill, and the old fallout method of Action Points to simulate what you are able to do in a 'turn' of combat (even though turns as such do not exist in the game). People with a background in more FPS type games tend to prefer the player skill method, after all they have quick reactions and good aim due to plenty of practice (and maybe that's why they are able to enjoy shooters!), but not everyone is particularly good at that and it would have been wrong to exclude the RPG fanbase from a Fallout game - hence VATS - don't assume that no-one uses it :)

VATS is far better for players coming from more traditional turn-based combat RPGs (which were almost all turn-based at one point) so provides an RPG method of doing combat which is based on character skill rather than player skill, and the old fallout method of Action Points to simulate what you are able to do in a 'turn' of combat (even though turns as such do not exist in the game). People with a background in more FPS type games tend to prefer the player skill method, after all they have quick reactions and good aim due to plenty of practice (and maybe that's why they are able to enjoy shooters!), but not everyone is particularly good at that and it would have been wrong to exclude the RPG fanbase from a Fallout game - hence VATS - don't assume that no-one uses it :)

Cheers for the back story. Any idea why specifically they employed it in Fallout but not Elder scrolls?

Cheers for the back story. Any idea why specifically they employed it in Fallout but not Elder scrolls?

Probably because the Fallout series started out as turn-based combat and had a large fan-base from the first 2 games (plus spin-offs) before BGS took over the franchise. Elder Scrolls has always been BGS and always real time combat, and already had 4 games in the franchise (plus spin-offs) before BGS released Fallout 3 and invented VATS as a form of turn-based combat in an otherwise real time action game. If they'd brought it over from Fallout to Elder Scrolls it could only have been as recently as for Skyrim, and would have looked a ridiculous addition to the series - not to mention that it makes sense in a world with tech but wouldn't in a fantasy setting.

There's also the point that aiming and firing is less of a feature in Elder Scrolls - unlike in Fallout where because of the setting the vast majority of weapon options are firearms, in Elder Scrolls you have far more interesting options for bludgeoning and stabbing which only involves vaguely facing your target and pressing the correct button, and there are area effect spells that don't require a player to have good aim, it's only really archery where aiming is a major feature - not being good at it doesn't exclude you from the vast majority of content and fighting styles, in Fallout it would be far more limiting if you were a bit crap at aiming.

I've been using VATS now and again, mostly if visibility is low (at range during a sandstorm, for example), but I don't bother with it the majority of the time.

I've got the game looking pretty nice now.

I've restarted twice :oops:

The first time was because I wanted to alter my SPECIAL stats, and really that first run through to Primm was just to get a handle on things while I was modding the game. Also, Cheyenne died during the Powder Ganger shoot-out in Goodsprings.

The second time was because a fucking giant rad-scorpion came into town and murdered Sunny before I'd completed the tutorial. And I didn't have a decent save from any later than just as I was leaving the doc's house for the first time.

So I'm on my way to Primm again now. Stopped off during a sandstorm in the little caravan of the dude who double-crosses you (Barton?), but will push on while it's still at least daylight. Once I've finished my work. Which has backed up because I've been enjoying playing the game too much. And taking pictures. Of course. Taking pictures.

Oh yeah, as I was heading up to check out the Yangtze War Memorial, a fucking cazador came out of nowhere and nearly humped me to death. Well, I'm playing on super-easy at the moment, and I have a really decent shotgun, so I managed to off it with little difficultly, but seriously. Out of nowhere.

Oh yeah, as I was heading up to check out the Yangtze War Memorial, a fucking cazador came out of nowhere and nearly humped me to death. Well, I'm playing on super-easy at the moment, and I have a really decent shotgun, so I managed to off it with little difficultly, but seriously. Out of nowhere.

They never come quite out of nowhere - there's probably a nest or at least a persistent swarm not too far away, but they get very near the roads sometimes.

Are you playing on hardcore for the RPG element (you can have 'easy hardcore iirc')?

They never come quite out of nowhere - there's probably a nest or at least a persistent swarm not too far away, but they get very near the roads sometimes.

Are you playing on hardcore for the RPG element (you can have 'easy hardcore iirc')?

Am I bollocks :D

Maybe once I've played through it, or most of it, or enough of it, to not still be wandering around in a distinct daze.

It's a beautiful game. My only gripe really is that it's a linear game that masquerades as open world. Well, it is open world but not to the extent that Elder Scrolls are. It's not really open until you reach New Vegas and even then the levelling makes wandering off and doing as you please prohibitive.

I think they might be up in Goodsprings Graveyard. Or that general direction.

You're pretty much screwed if you try and explore anywhere north of Goodsprings when you start out. You have to head south through Primm.

I think they might be up in Goodsprings Graveyard. Or that general direction.

You're pretty much screwed if you try and explore anywhere north of Goodsprings when you start out. You have to head south through Primm.

Yeah, there are big STAY OUT OR DOOOOOOM signs to the north (cazadors are there I think), and a BEWARE, DEATHCLAWS AHEAD sign past the war memorial to the east. There's a little abandoned shack just up from the war memorial, it's not up in the beware area of the map, but I could see how it's possible a cazador could spot you if its pathing had brought it close enough to the edges of there. I certainly spotted nothing while I was there, but then it was inexplicably snowing so visibility wasn't at its best (although nowhere near as bad as when there's a sandstorm). I was very firmly in coyote country when it attacked, but for all I know the fucker could have been stalking me for a while.

I have been told multiple times that there are places you really don't want to go until you're at least level 20-25, but me? I just see that as a challenge :D

Oh fuck yes VATs is awesome against certain enemies. Its very effective when ammo is low.

Like others have said I've burnt through ammo not using vats. VATS is more effective but it reduces weapon condition faster.

A three round burst with VATs can be awesome.

Also it can save time. Say for example with a blotfly. Trying to hit the fucker without vats can be boring, waste ammo etc.

Yeah, there are big STAY OUT OR DOOOOOOM signs to the north (cazadors are there I think), and a BEWARE, DEATHCLAWS AHEAD sign past the war memorial to the east. There's a little abandoned shack just up from the war memorial, it's not up in the beware area of the map, but I could see how it's possible a cazador could spot you if its pathing had brought it close enough to the edges of there. I certainly spotted nothing while I was there, but then it was inexplicably snowing so visibility wasn't at its best (although nowhere near as bad as when there's a sandstorm). I was very firmly in coyote country when it attacked, but for all I know the fucker could have been stalking me for a while.

I have been told multiple times that there are places you really don't want to go until you're at least level 20-25, but me? I just see that as a challenge :D
Boone really helps. With That Machine. The man can kill anything though he need a partical rifle for deathclaws.

Oh fuck yes VATs is awesome against certain enemies. Its very effective when ammo is low.

Like others have said I've burnt through ammo not using vats. VATS is more effective but it reduces weapon condition faster.

A three round burst with VATs can be awesome.

Also it can save time. Say for example with a blotfly. Trying to hit the fucker without vats can be boring, waste ammo etc.

My brief experience with bloatflies so far has been to get close enough that they spot you, then they stop buzzing from side to side, and face you - then as the slowly start to make their way over you have enough time to line up your shot. There may well be super evil murder deathking versions of them in other areas that can kill you with their evil special super hearing or something though, so don't listen to me XD

Boone really helps. With That Machine. The man can kill anything though he need a partical rifle for deathclaws.

I have heard good things of this Boone character. I haven't met a single person I can bring with me yet (although I found ED-E in Nash's shop ... I don't know anything about its story, but I know you can restore it and have it follow you ... I'm looking forward to finding that part out in the game :D).

My brief experience with bloatflies so far has been to get close enough that they spot you, then they stop buzzing from side to side, and face you - then as the slowly start to make their way over you have enough time to line up your shot. There may well be super evil murder deathking versions of them in other areas that can kill you with their evil special super hearing or something though, so don't listen to me XD

They're usually bastards when you haven't spotted them. The later ones poison you which can be a bit inconvenient.

I have heard good things of this Boone character. I haven't met a single person I can bring with me yet (although I found ED-E in Nash's shop ... I don't know anything about its story, but I know you can restore it and have it follow you ... I'm looking forward to finding that part out in the game :D).

Companions are better in fallout new vegas. If you're not playing hardcore they don't get killed. In Fallout 3 companions get killed v easy which meant once I got dogmeat I kept him in my house pretty much 24/7 (no one kills my dog!)

The companion quests in fallout new vegas are good, and boone is a ace companion

They're usually bastards when you haven't spotted them. The later ones poison you which can be a bit inconvenient.

Also a good thing about vats is that you can use vats to centre on a target exit vats and then start shooting. V useful in the dark or if you have many people firing at you at close range.

Utter cunts they do a phenomonal amount of damage and travel in packs. And annoying the animal friend perk doesn't work on them or death claws. The only thing more annoying is rad scorpions in Fallout 3.

I don't mind killing them, I mind the waste of ammo and weapons degradation that it takes killing them.

Also a good thing about vats is that you can use vats to centre on a target exit vats and then start shooting. V useful in the dark or if you have many people firing at you at close range.

That is a ridiculously good tip. I'll use that!

Companions are better in fallout new vegas. If you're not playing hardcore they don't get killed. In Fallout 3 companions get killed v easy which meant once I got dogmeat I kept him in my house pretty much 24/7 (no one kills my dog!)

The companion quests in fallout new vegas are good, and boone is a ace companion

Yeah, I got as far in FO:3 as finding dogmeat,then we went on a bit of a trek and he instantly stood on a landmine. I rage quit and never went back XD

As I'm on PC I always set Dogmeat to essential using the console (setessential 6a772 1) because I hate it if he dies - he's my only friend in the post-apocalyptic wasteland ffs*. It's actually possible for him to die before you've even found him if you enter the cell where he is being attacked and don't head straight to his location to help him out, so I always set him as essential before I go anywhere near the scrapyard!

C66 is correct, one of the DLCs allows you to take the Puppies! perk so that if Dogmeat dies you get a replacement Dogmeat! When I play a sniper I still leave him at home, but because he sometimes wanders off (in which case he can usually be found outside vault 101) I still set him as essential.

*If he dies it kind of reminds me of I Am Legend (the book, which is great) and it fucks me up a bit :oops:

Okay I just spent 15 quid buying the ultimate edition after finishing the standard edition. I have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom