Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

External mic for phone ?

gentlegreen

I hummus, therefore I am ...
I want to be able to use a cheap lavalier or some-such with my phone but use my existing wired cans.
I was surprised to find that plugging in a standard 3.5mm headphone plug doesn't disable the mic - presumably that's an automatic feature ?
So I will order a splitter.
I imagine there's phantom power on the socket so I could just use any unpowered electret mic ?
Though likely I will probably buy a cheap self-contained unit with its own battery. ...

(Moto G4)

Comments on this item suggests that it needs a microphone with a 4 band plug - but the headphone socket is hopefully normal.
So I need a suitable tie-clip mic ... I long ago lost the headsets that came with my phones ...

71jW-Kr+F7L._AC_SY450_.jpg

Every single set of bluetooth headphones I have ever bought have a mic stashed in one of the ear holes somewhere and makes a perfectly adequate mic for talking on the phone etc.

I'm not 100% clear on what you need and why though.

Every single set of bluetooth headphones I have ever bought have a mic stashed in one of the ear holes somewhere and makes a perfectly adequate mic for talking on the phone etc.

I'm not 100% clear on what you need and why though.
I wear two kinds of wired headphones of my own choosing with my phone (the BT h/p amp I bought last year packed up) and want to also be able to join the 21st century and take and make calls without holding my phone .. I'm also planning to up my videography - with my phone and a proper camera - maybe record blogs and vlogs when walking / cycling / hopefully boating ...
Somewhat annoying to spend £9 for a 50p electret capsule, but it looks like what I want...

I have two pairs of headphones that I like - and the foul-weather Koss KSC75s are the ones I also use for cycling - both are open back...

Aftershokz might be worth looking at if you want to use them whilst walking / cycling. Bone conduction. I have an old pair and the mic is rubbish but it has improved by all accounts. Not sure of current model names, I have the Bluez II.

if it's just for voice calls you might be OK. But a lot are terrible even then.
As I have realised, I also want to do more interesting things ...
The tiny mics on freebie headsets that come free with phones must surely be electret and take their power from the phone as you can do with PCs.

Decent selection of mics here. If you want decent audio, don't go for rock-bottom cheapo solutions,

Aftershokz might be worth looking at if you want to use them whilst walking / cycling. Bone conduction. I have an old pair and the mic is rubbish but it has improved by all accounts. Not sure of current model names, I have the Bluez II.
I am super fussy as bees already knows.
Bone conduction - or something even more discreet - may be my only option in France where there's the risk of a 135 Euro fine for wearing earphones while cycling ... they fine people less for dodgy driving over there...

Just buy a modern Bluetooth headset, it will work and sound better.
I've been down this road before.
There are obviously various excellent and reasonably priced solutions to this problem (and for for what he uses his headphones for). However, for whatever reason, (I'm trying not to sound condescending - I just don't understand). Gentlegreen want's to use some very specific wired headphones that he is attached to and that is presumably the reason for this thread. Otherwise, yes, this would be an incredibly simple problem to solve.

I use the Shokz openrun for running, cycling and in fact everything. . . podcasts around the house, phone calls etc.
They are better than the more expensive open run pro because they are properly water proof in the rain and sweat (though not for swimming) and they don't vibrate your cheeks.

£130 but I still think it's one of the best purchases I have made in recent years. . . .

I am super fussy as bees already knows.
Bone conduction - or something even more discreet - may be my only option in France where there's the risk of a 135 Euro fine for wearing earphones while cycling ... they fine people less for dodgy driving over there...

They're good for speech not so much for music. I actually use Bose Frames now which have much better speakers and the mic is OK for calls. They're quite expensive, I got them on a sale. (these leave your ears free for hearing your surrounds. Though anyone passing can probably also hear what you're listening to.)

For recording the ambience something from the list above should do it though. you can even get mixers that you can connect regular studio mics too and which provide phantem power via a couple of AAs. Just for info...

I've been down this road before.
There are obviously various excellent and reasonably priced solutions to this problem (and for for what he uses his headphones for). However, for whatever reason, (I'm trying not to sound condescending - I just don't understand). Gentlegreen want's to use some very specific wired headphones that he is attached to and that is presumably the reason for this thread. Otherwise, yes, this would be an incredibly simple problem to solve.
My neighbour was a very early adopter of one of those things you stick in one ear.
It's forever stuck in my mind ...

My priority is decent listening on the move, but having worked in (very) low-level AV, I would like a nice little Lavalier - or maybe even a clip-on boom that makes full use of the available sound quality in the other direction - certainly if I am evolving into a vlogger - when I used to have a nasty cheap camera on my bike years ago, the sound wasn't as important ...

And I struggle with holding a phone to make a call - I don't understand how people drive (and cycle) at the same time...

I'm long overdue learning to use voice commands and not using screen or keyboard ...

I found an unused phone headset in the gutter - unfortunately a bit stamped-on - but the plug and cable should be OK to play with - confirmation that they use an electret capsule getting phantom power from the phone ... I have quite a few of those lying around...
Some schematics show resistors switched between some of the signal lines acting as play controls ...

headset.jpg

images

Last edited:
I’m by no means an expert on what you want to do but I suspect phones want you to do one thing or the other, rather than both. So if you have wired headphones it’ll want a wired mic also. If you want a Bluetooth mic then that’s best done via a Bluetooth headset that has a mic.

I’m by no means an expert on what you want to do but I suspect phones want you to do one thing or the other, rather than both. So if you have wired headphones it’ll want a wired mic also. If you want a Bluetooth mic then that’s best done via a Bluetooth headset
On my old phone, if you plug headphones into the TRRS jack, it expects there to be a mic on the cable and mutes the phone's own mic.
On this one, the phone's mic still works ...

On my old phone, if you plug headphones into the TRRS jack, it expects there to be a mic on the cable and mutes the phone's own mic.
On this one, the phone's mic still works ...
Yeah, but mixing Bluetooth and wired stuff isn’t the same as that. I have Bluetooth earbuds which keeps the phone mic available. Having wired headphones and then wanting a Bluetooth mic… I’m not sure if that’d work. Let us know though!

I found an unused phone headset in the gutter - unfortunately a bit stamped-on - but the plug and cable should be OK to play with - confirmation that they use an electret capsule getting phantom power from the phone ... I have quite a few of those lying around...
Some schematics show resistors switched between some of the signal lines acting as play controls ...

images
That circuit diagram is wrong as the right speaker is shorted out. :(

Back
Top Bottom