Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Esther Rantzen's Reggae Anthems

Shame it's a wind up I guess. It's not even that original - lots of old people like reggae and lots of posh people like reggae.

Remember Lauren Booth's turn in the jungle circa 2006?

Jungle star Lauren Booth is a dancehall queen! On last night’s smash hit TV show, ‘I’m a Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here!’, Tony Blair’s sister-in-law suddenly proved her roots credentials with an extraordinary and spontaneous medley of Jamaican dancehall classics – ‘Wa-Do-Dem’ by Eek-a-Mouse, Yellowman’s ‘Zungguzunggugguzungguzeng’ and ‘Here I Come’ by Barrington Levy.

All these tunes are on Greensleeves Records, the label that next year celebrates its 30th anniversary at the cutting edge of Jamaican music. Says Clive Dickenson, Greensleeves’ General Manager: “We were staggered to realise that Lauren has such a deep love of dancehall and maybe when she’s out of the jungle Lauren would like to suggest some tunes she’d like as part of our celebrations. In the meantime, she gets our vote to be the jungle queen, too.”
Jungle star Lauren Booth gets the Greensleeves' vote!

names not down you're not coming in
hale_and_pace.jpg

Shame it's a wind up I guess. It's not even that original - lots of old people like reggae and lots of posh people like reggae.

That's why I bought it for a bit. Oddball Tory MP Teddy Taylor was a reggae fan for example. Also remember Rantzen taking a stand against Parkie giggling away at Manning's shit jokes in the days before they had 'elf and safety and political correctness gone mad.

Not saying that makes you a big reggae fan but I was surprised to see more to Esther Rantzen than big dick carrots.

Inner City Life sounds better to me today than at the time.... Timeless is really ageing well.

its a mint tune and deserves the replays it gets in the home of all right thinking people. I got a dodgy edit of it from a free CD on the front of a magazine (do they even still do that?) and was blown away.

I'm not even a huge fan of that sort of stuff.

*dons hood, lights zoot, mounts bmx*

*dons hood, lights zoot, mounts bmx*

:D lol'd

Goldie thought big and classical from the start - i remember just before the album came out (94/95) Fabio was on the radio and said that Goldie was in talks planning a DnB ballet :) it never happened, but that was the level he was on - 94 was still pretty much the grimey end of the rave scene - if it happened today youd feel like it was the nail in the coffin but to even suggest a ballet then was pushing boundaries.

:D lol'd

Goldie thought big and classical from the start - i remember just before the album came out (94/95) Fabio was on the radio and said that Goldie was in talks planning a DnB ballet :) it never happened, but that was the level he was on - 94 was still pretty much the grimey end of the rave scene - if it happened today youd feel like it was the nail in the coffin but to even suggest a ballet then was pushing boundaries.

He smashed it - and then followed it up with that concept album about his Mum :facepalm:

Inner City Life sounds better to me today than at the time.... Timeless is really ageing well.

The Timeless tour still ranks as one of the best ever nights I've been too - well, twice as it goes as I went to both the Sheffield and MK nights. When Sea of Tears and Sensual dropped carried along by Cleveland Watkiss - well, that moment saw b boys reduced to emotional slobbering wrecks :eek: :cool: :D Truly special.

He smashed it - and then followed it up with that concept album about his Mum :facepalm:
Mother (the 60 minute track) is pretty good I think - the rest of the album (jsut random tracks not about his mum :)) is a lot less so unfortunately.
He was adopted, so i think putting that track out is pretty bold - maybe a bit bloated, but i think its good that he's being so emotive.
Still, hes still done a bunch of great tunes since, mainly on 12s though.

When Sea of Tears and Sensual dropped carried along by Cleveland Watkiss - well, that moment saw b boys reduced to emotional slobbering wrecks :eek: :cool: :D Truly special.
really!?! sounds great :cool:

this was posted on the cod reggae forum and someone then made a point that the clip might well have been taken out of context - theres a bit where a black man and woman look on in disbelief, so maybe it was done in a knowing way.....er...maybe....

just stumbled on this - he mentions some kind of project which takes Timeless to the Science Museum as an interactive exhibit! classic Goldie

Mother (the 60 minute track) is pretty good I think - the rest of the album (jsut random tracks not about his mum :)) is a lot less so unfortunately.
He was adopted, so i think putting that track out is pretty bold - maybe a bit bloated, but i think its good that he's being so emotive.
Still, hes still done a bunch of great tunes since, mainly on 12s though.

Tbh, I mostly lost sight of Goldie after Timeless - I was so so about Saturnz Return. But that said he was accessing all areas and trying different things so fairplay.

Then he came out of the blue again with Beachdrifta which really hurt - back on top form. And Malice In Wonderland is a good album in recent years.

my copy of Saturn Returnz has Mother as a separate CD - did they come out separately? I really liked Monkey Boy from Malice

theres a couple of nasty remixes of that too

this [Sandie Shaw clip] was posted on the cod reggae forum and someone then made a point that the clip might well have been taken out of context - theres a bit where a black man and woman look on in disbelief, so maybe it was done in a knowing way.....er...maybe....
At what point did it finally become unacceptable for white people to sing in comedy/cod-'West Indian' accents? Was pondering this question the other day, whilst listening to some old 1960s Small Faces and Donovan songs where IIRC they both do this. Now, especially in the case of Small Faces, they worked with black musicians and had a deep respect for R&B and blues. So it's not quite the same as Jim Davidson...but even so, quite mind-boggling that this was deemed to be acceptable :eek:

Back
Top Bottom