Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Email from Microsoft, someone else signed in

panpete

Blokes name, birds body.
Please see attached screenshot - I made sure my name is not on it.
I have not pressed the blue "report" button even though the "from" address looks valid.
Should I just change my password?
What else do I need to do, thanksScreenshot 2023-02-20 at 14.50.52.png

That looks like it might be a scam. Sign in would normally be 2 words. Without seeing the actual email there aren't other things that I can check. I would delete it. Changing your password is a good idea and as Pickman's says turning on multi factor auth is a good idea.

What I tend to do is check the from address, they spoof the name but the x@c.com is usually where it’s clear it’s from some hopeful spammer
The form address looked valid, but I did not want to click the "report" button. I just changed password, I noticed a lot of spam in my inbox as well so maybe connected.

Someone at my work fell for a fake "microsoft" email once and gave them their office365 login details. Their email account was then used to send spam emails to other people. Iirc the spammers also added a rule to the email account to delete replies sent to the emails.

Someone at my work fell for a fake "microsoft" email once and gave them their office365 login details. Their email account was then used to send spam emails to other people. Iirc the spammers also added a rule to the email account to delete replies sent to the emails.
Yikes, I am glad I did not press the blue button and just changed my password, and came on here, of course.

The "Russian" bit was clearly designed to be scary.

IP Details For: 103.251.12.244

Decimal: 1744506100

Hostname: 103.251.12.244
ASN: 133047

ISP: Ancore Pty Ltd

Services: None detected
Assignment: Likely Static IP

State/Region: New South Wales

City: Chatswood
Javascript disabled or geolocation map not available.

+

Leaflet | © OpenStreetMap Terms
Latitude: -33.799999 (33° 47′ 60.00″ S)

Longitude: 151.183334 (151° 11′ 0.00″ E)

IP Details For: 103.251.12.244

Decimal: 1744506100

Hostname: 103.251.12.244
ASN: 133047

ISP: Ancore Pty Ltd

Services: None detected
Assignment: Likely Static IP

State/Region: New South Wales

City: Chatswood
Javascript disabled or geolocation map not available.

+

Leaflet | © OpenStreetMap Terms
Latitude: -33.799999 (33° 47′ 60.00″ S)

Longitude: 151.183334 (151° 11′ 0.00″ E)
I'd take the "latitude and longitude" with a pinch of salt. Ip location traces rarely get the town right when i trace my own ip. The country is normally accurate though.

I have just received an email from some unknown source. The preview line started " I have some terrible news for you...."
I did not bother to find out what this news was, I just deleted/reported.

I just got another one, the same as before, I hope I don't keep getting them as it's going to be a pain changing my password.Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 17.26.57.png

They're phishing emails - no need to change your PW.
TBH I don't even understand why you have one.
I only have one for Google / Gmail / Youtube...

Thanks, apart from changing password, what can I do?

Nothing, just delete them.

I'm pondering deleting my spare account as I get 10 or so Junk Emails a day to it these days, but thats pretty much why I had that as a secondary address anyway. Any public or liable to leak sites get that one as my email address.

Hover over (don’t click) the report button on a PC and it should tell you the url.

Change your password anyway

The "Russian" bit was clearly designed to be scary.

After this thread - possible scam, I am glad I came on here to query my two - now I have another third one, do I really have to keep changing my password? It's becoming a pain.

Back
Top Bottom